Community Forum

Roku Won't Connect Error 014

New Poster

Roku Won't Connect Error 014

If your Roku won't connect to Xfinity modem / wireless router call Comcast Wireless 855-308-9453 and insist they set the modem to Channel 11 and also have them set Mode to 802.11 B/GN.  This will save you 8 hourse of h*** like I went through.This worked for me as I am using ARRIS TG862 wireless router at 25Mbps speed.  Can't vouch for other routers or speeds.  See (esp. CAUTION section) for WPA info.

New Poster

Re: Roku Won't Connect Error 014

I thought it was my Roku's problem so I returned it! I got an Amazon FireTV and I am having the same issue as with Roku. I guess I should call them and have them do the same.

Bronze Problem Solver

There have been a lot of posts saying the same thing with roku boxes and other streaming devices seems the issue is with there gateway devices. I don't think comcast likes customers streaming content from other provides I recommend bridgeing the gateway and gettin your own high quality router you will be much happier.
New Poster

Created an account just to say...Thank you!!! This worked perfectly for me! It took me four hours of frustration and contemplating returning the roku before I came across your post but I am so glad i did.

Regular Visitor

Thank you!  I called the number you provided and the Comcast rep set it up for me.  I'm not sure what she did, but it went very smoothly.

New Poster

23 Oct 2014

After months of streaming from Netflix and Plex I lost wireless connectivity.  Tried troubleshooting and the secret screen stuff no success....I was going to buy another one until I saw your post.  I just got off the phone with Comcast and I am back up using wireless....green,green,green!  Thanks wish I would have seen this sooner but you saved me some money!

New Poster

I wish I'd seen this post yesterday.  I spent three hours with Comcast today and finally have my ROKU-2 working with my Xfinity Wireless Gateway (ArrisTG842).  They key for me was setting the channel to 11 and changing the security setting to WPAPSKTKIP.  Also, the network had to be renamed - keeping the old name with the new changes didn't work.  Now my iMAC, iphone and ROKU all work and the LinkSys is no longer needed.

Frequent Visitor

When my Roku HD inexplicably started getting the dreaded 014 error code, I called Comcast and mentioned the solution mentioned in this thread. They changed the settings on their end and then the Roku was able to connect. I was thrilled, until I discovered that their "fix" degraded my wifi internet speed on all my devices from 105 mbps to less than 10 mbps! Even the ethernet speed plunged (from 105 mbps to 35 mbps). It took 2-1/2 hours (!) on the phone until the techs were able to restore my internet speeds. But when they fixed the speed issue, my Roku once again was unable to connect -- it just gives me the 014 error code again. Google Fiber can't get here soon enough.

Frequent Visitor

I also had the same problem and changing security worked.  Have you managed to change it back to WPA2 with any success?

Joe

New Poster

The rep at this number was absolutely helpful!  She knew exactly what to do and fixed the problem right away.  Thanks for this post Smiley Happy

New Poster

Best of luck.  Note: My first generation Roku has limited speed so I don't normally try to download HD.  But, internet on PC works fine.

New Poster

All I had to do was change the Security Mode to WPA-PSK (TKIP) under "Gateway > Connection > WiFi".

I did have to reboot the Roku before it started working.

My channel was 1 but I didn't change it.  It's still set to channel 1 and my Roku seems to be working fine.

Bronze Problem Solver

carverrn wrote:

All I had to do was change the Security Mode to WPA-PSK (TKIP) under "Gateway > Connection > WiFi".

My channel was 1 but I didn't change it.  It's still set to channel 1 and my Roku seems to be working fine.

Not sure why that was needed. I have 2 roku3 boxes and they work great with WPA2-PSK. If your gateway/router wont work with roku under WPA2 then you should consider another gateway/router standard WPA is not a very secure encryption and in todays world really should be avoided if you want a secure network. 

New Poster

Thanks for the info. 

My Roku is one of the early models ( pre-USB ).  I'll play with it more to see if I can get it to work with WPA2.  I already ran the firmware update check on it and it says it's up to date on the firmware.

The gateway/router is a model TC8305C from Comcast.  They swtiched out the old model I had been using for several years.

New Poster

Thank you!!! This worked! My Roku hasn't worked for months and this solved it. ALSO, it was super awesome having a number that picked up immediately and solved the problem, Thanks again!

New Poster

My Roku is one of the very first models. After several hours of chats, talking and searching the forums and google, I still couldn't get my Roku to connect. I started looking at settings in my Comcast access point and finally tried changing the Mode from 802.11 g/n (where it is set by default) to 802.11 b/g/n. My Roku connected immediately. Which tells me that my old Roku is actually an 802.11 B, and that the access point will never connect to it until someone changes the mode.

New Poster

Just had to join to say THANK YOU.  I got a new Comcast router a week ago and both of my Roku players were not working any longer, nor was my VPN network for my job, which is a bit of a hassle since I work remotely about 60% of the time. I knew it had to be connected.  I called the number here, it was picked up by a real live human being, and he walked me through it.  And now I'm streaming again.  I had the same issue as another poster here at first - I had to rename my network name, but that's fine because I could actually name it something other than the alphabet/number soup it came with.  

This is fantastic advice.  

Bronze Problem Solver

jonathanrs wrote:

My Roku is one of the very first models. After several hours of chats, talking and searching the forums and google, I still couldn't get my Roku to connect. I started looking at settings in my Comcast access point and finally tried changing the Mode from 802.11 g/n (where it is set by default) to 802.11 b/g/n. My Roku connected immediately. Which tells me that my old Roku is actually an 802.11 B, and that the access point will never connect to it until someone changes the mode.

FYI. All Roku boxes can use wireless N if you can not connect with out setting your router back to B staus you have some other issue going on there. Also if possible you should be using the 5 GHZ band for Roku it just works better for streaming media. 

Networking-Roku 1

802.11 (a/b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA, and WPA2 support

New Poster

Mine is set to channel 11 but still won't connect

New Poster

Worked for me!