Community Forum

Ridiculously slow internet

New Poster

Ridiculously slow internet

I pay for cable and internet in which I’m supposed to be getting approx 150 mbps. However, I’ve been running speed tests and have been getting less than 1 mbps. I’ve reset my modem/router (all in one) several times, and had calls into Comcast.

I use a coax splitter for my Cable box and we just got new boxes two days ago. Weird part is, is that when I disconnect my coax cable from my cable box, my internet sky rockets to about 160+ mbps. Once the coax gets connected again, the internet is abysmal.
Expert

Re: Ridiculously slow internet

What do the modem's signal stats look like when the splitter is in place ?

Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Is this a WiFi connection ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Hi the downstream is 16 upstream is 3.

I can’t find the radio thing...

Right now I’m connected by Ethernet cable as I can’t even get a page to load on WiFi.

Motorola MG7540
Highlighted
New Poster

Oh actually the SNR for all 16 channels seems to be around 33-34
Expert

The upstream at 3 and the downstream at 16 is the number of channels. We need to see the power levels. Please post a screenshot or a copy and paste of all of those requested signal stat figures including the SNR numbers.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

So here are two images. The first is when my tv cable box (shared with the splitter) is plugged in and on. The second image, is unplugging the power cord of the cable box (splitter still in place)

cable box plugged in.jpgmodem on-cable box not on.PNG

Expert

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to them here.

Official Employee

Greetings, ImJustAGirl26! I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I hope you are having an amazing day. I apologize to hear you are having issues with your internet signal. Since you advise that the internet seems to improve when you disconnect the cable box, it's possible you might have a bad splitter. Have you attempted to replace the splitter by chance?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

The signals are WAY out of spec !! That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Official Employee

Hello, ImJustAGirl26. We have not heard back from you and hope the issue has been resolved. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new public thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.