Community Forum

Required onsite installation for 1 gig coax service?

New Poster

Required onsite installation for 1 gig coax service?

Hi All

I just upgraded my internet package from the 250 Mbs connection to the 1 gig Mbs package. I've upgraded my modem already to an arris surfboard sb8200 (docsis 3.1) and already had it provisioned on my account. The sales person I talked with told me that the 1 gig internet service required someone to come out and "install" it for me, even though I already have working service.

Whats the deal with this? Do they install hardware that I am not aware of?

Tags (1)
Expert

Re: Required onsite installation for 1 gig coax service?

As far as I’m aware of the gig service requires a tech visit to install and upgrade. The tech just checks signals and everything to make sure everything is ok to run gigabit service and tries to install their XB6. However you should be able to insist that you want to use your own 8200 that you have and you hopefully shouldn’t have an issue getting it active through the tech visit for gigabit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

jweaver0312 wrote:
As far as I’m aware of the gig service requires a tech visit to install and upgrade. The tech just checks signals and everything to make sure everything is ok to run gigabit service and tries to install their XB6. However you should be able to insist that you want to use your own 8200 that you have and you hopefully shouldn’t have an issue getting it active through the tech visit for gigabit.

The installer just left, he did try to bring in equipment. When the installer arrived, he "activated" my gigabit service and monitored the modem to see if it got the correct boot file. It had issues at first, so he made a call and had someone set my account up with the right boot file. Then it worked... not sure why I was just forced to pay $40 bucks for something that could of been done on a phone call. 

Expert

The main goal is to check signals. You might be able to make a plea with the 800 number people and they might reverse the charge or they might not.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

jweaver0312 wrote:
The main goal is to check signals. You might be able to make a plea with the 800 number people and they might reverse the charge or they might not.

The comcast installation professional didn't need to set foot on my property to check my signal levels. He was able to do all of this from a mobile application on his phone. Everything I saw leads me to believe this is a straight up money grab, forcing an un-needed visit on users whom don't need a visit. 

New Poster

Can someone explain what is really needed to upgrade to 1GB and why a truck roll is needed?  I already have a capable modem (a Motorola MB8600 that is DOCSIS 3.1 with 32 channels  down x 8 up) but Comcast support insists that a truck roll is still needed.  Frankly I don't really want or need the 1GB download, but really want the better upload speed to what I understand is 32mbps since I upload a lot of photographs. 

Support doesn't seem to know what is really needed as I've been told multiple different things now.    I asked, and the last Tech support person says they need to run fiber into the house which makes no sense to me as coax cable is outside my house, not fibre.   If that is even true, do I need to move my cable modem to where coax cable comes into my house instead of using the coax in my house to another room? 

When I ask questions I just get passed on to another support person and then have to start all over again and get a different story each time.   After being pass along 4 times now, I've just given up.  I've also had different install offers too.  One for $0, one for $40, and two for $60.   I origionally took the $0 deal and even accepted it, but they mysteriously lost it that deal and all I have to for proof is an SMS from them it and a screen captuue on my iPhone of a generic acceptance screen.  I then tried again to order it and they wanted to charge me $60 so I just said no thanks and I'm waiting until I can find out what the real story is.

David Dibert
Regular Contributor

It's not needed.  I bought an MB8600 on Amazon, hooked it up to my existing tier, went to the activation page to register it automatically, logged in, hit a couple of steps online and it was working just fine.  To upgrade to Gig I came on here for pricing to match the online new customer offer $89.99/mo w/ 24 month contract. Got the e-mail to confirm the contract and clicked accept on a couple of things and it was active.  Tinkered with the lines to adjust the signal to find that my current router was a bottleneck.  Replaced the router and got full speeds with a wired connection.

The only time you need a tech is if you're not getting speeds due to a signal issue which you would see if you login to the modem and post the signals here.  Usually with working service it shouldn't be an issue but, if you're seeing slower than posted speeds it's usually either a splitter in the house or something outside on the line.

New Poster

Thanks.  I guess I'll just have to escalate during US business hours.  I have 400 down / 10 up now and there are no problems.  Just want to bump up my upload speed without the run-around.

David Dibert
New Poster

I escalated and was able to get switched to the Gigabit Internet Tier.  I talked to a fantastic Provisioning Engineer who knew is stuff and had great customer service skills.  He looked at my signal levels, upgraded my modem firmware, and within 10 minutes I was seeing greatly improved speeds at 650Mbps down and ~41Mbps up all from one Mac. See: http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6945105446 and http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6945111751

No truck roll for me was needed.   I'm not saying everyone can do this, but since I had the right equipment (a Motorola MB8600) and good signal levels, it was VERY easy once I talked to the right person.

Great speeds Comcast!  Thank you!

David Dibert
Regular Contributor

Congrats David! 

Now, is the 650 through Ethernet or WIFI?  Ethernet should be pushing ~950M x ~45M.

650 on WIFI though is pretty good!  

New Poster

In this specific case I was testing on a Mac mini on Gigabit Ethernet.

David Dibert