Community Forum

Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G

Frequent Visitor

Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G

I am currently using the Xfinity supplied gateway model #DPC3941T for internet, wifi and voice.

 

I currently have but have not installed a Netgear CM700 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC2600 router. The problem is this setup does not support Voice. I was thinking about adding a second modem just for voice, specifically the Arris TM822G.

 

Any tips or advice for making this work?

Expert

Re: Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G


@barbosam wrote:

I am currently using the Xfinity supplied gateway model #DPC3941T for internet, wifi and voice.

 

I currently have but have not installed a Netgear CM700 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC2600 router. The problem is this setup does not support Voice. I was thinking about adding a second modem just for voice, specifically the Arris TM822G.

 

Any tips or advice for making this work?


I currently have an ARRIS SB8200 for Gigabit Internet, an ARRIS TM722G for Voice, and an ASUS RT-AC88U router. TM722G is hooked up to a cable outlet in the guest room, hidden away in a closet, connected to a phone outlet, thus feeding phone service to the rest of the house (make sure your phone wiring is disconnected from any other outside service, though).

This setup works flawlessly, as long as you have good strong coax signal throughout your home.  I would also suggest to check in with your local Xfinity service area to make sure you can do that. 

 

Setup should be easy after everything is hooked up, just call in to Activations at (800)-XFINITY and let the CSR know what you want to do.

 

A suggestion though - if that CM700 is still within the return window, and you have Blast Pro (250) service or less, then you can just get a Netgear CM500V, which has a built in eMTA voice modem, rather than buying a separate voice modem.

 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G

Thanks for the good information.

 

I know the CM700 is overkill for the current 250 speed but i have been adding a lot of devices lately and figure I will have to upgrade soon. What is your opinion on the CM500V having 16x4 channels vs 32x8 of the CM700 using the current Blast Pro service? 

 

And the next curveball is, can home security play nice with the CM700?

Expert

Re: Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G

Well, the CM700 has Puma 6, and the good thing about the CM500V, it has Broadcom chipset last time I checked, and can handle all your services. I believe you can access some of the voice features from the modems page, like call logs unless if that is for the C7100v only (24x8 Broadcom chipset, has router built in as well) For Home Security, they would need to come out and put in a sidecar router to handle your home security


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G

Is there a rental fee for the sidecar home security router?

 

The CM500V is definitely the easiest solution but it doesn't seem like it gives me much room to upgrade speeds which I will probably do in the next 6 months. 

 

Expert

Re: Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G

What speed tier are you planning to upgrade to?


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G


@barbosam wrote:

Is there a rental fee for the sidecar home security router? 


No.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G


@barbosam wrote:

Is there a rental fee for the sidecar home security router?

 

The CM500V is definitely the easiest solution but it doesn't seem like it gives me much room to upgrade speeds which I will probably do in the next 6 months. 

 


I'll try to answer the ones that haven't been addressed yet.

 

The CM700 will handle Extreme Pro 400 easily, however its Puma 6 chipset might be problematic if you play a lot of online games and stream a lot of video. 

If you're not doing that, and since you already have the internet gear set to go,  then perhaps a voice only modem will suit you for the time being.  I got my TM722G used off Amazon for about $35 and it works without issue. 

You can always upgrade your internet modem afterwards if and when you need to. 

 

Also, I have Xfinity Home, and the Netgear WNR1000 v2 sidecar router, and it works fine. 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G

I realize I should know this at this point in the game but the xfinity site will not show me my options, it's super frustrating. I just get this message "We're sorry, it looks like you'll need some help completing your order. Please call us at 1-877-680-7173 and we can help."

 

I need to call, that's my next step, been putting it off. Most likely just one step up from the 250.

 

Currently have 5 streaming devices, google home, 2 computers and a few wifi outlets. We stream a lot of video, some very occasional gaming, occasionally some large dowloads, I VPN into work most evenings and we have a couple of tablets but they are rarely connected to wifi. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G

Thanks to all for talking me through this. I think I have what I need to make a decision.

 

I'm leaning towards something similar to darkangelic's setup. It will only cost about another $75. Way overkill for my current service but will allow me to upgrade my service soon, has plenty of channels for consistent speed and should handle our heavy video streaming load well.

 

ARRIS SB8200 modem, ARRIS TM722G (or TM822G) modem for voice, NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S AC2600 router

 

Can anyone point out any inherent issues with the Netgear X4S? I got it because the price was right, I might be able to make a few bucks selling it if I needed to. Otherwise I'll just keep it, based on it's specs alone it's more than enough for what I need.

Expert

Re: Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G


@barbosam wrote:

 

Can anyone point out any inherent issues with the Netgear X4S? I got it because the price was right, I might be able to make a few bucks selling it if I needed to. Otherwise I'll just keep it, based on it's specs alone it's more than enough for what I need.


I've had one for about a year now and I have nothing but good stuff to say about it ! It's an excellent performer !!



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Replace gateway with Netgear CM700 modem and Arris TM822G


@barbosam wrote:

Thanks to all for talking me through this. I think I have what I need to make a decision.

 

I'm leaning towards something similar to darkangelic's setup. It will only cost about another $75. Way overkill for my current service but will allow me to upgrade my service soon, has plenty of channels for consistent speed and should handle our heavy video streaming load well.

 

ARRIS SB8200 modem, ARRIS TM722G (or TM822G) modem for voice, NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S AC2600 router

 

Can anyone point out any inherent issues with the Netgear X4S? I got it because the price was right, I might be able to make a few bucks selling it if I needed to. Otherwise I'll just keep it, based on it's specs alone it's more than enough for what I need.


TheWirecutter.com dinged the X4S /R7800 for the lack of proper band steering, but it rated tops on Smallnetbuilder.com, so I suppose if you're planning to give separate SSIDs to the 2.4 and the 5 GHz bands,  you'll be OK.  

(I'm an ASUS guy myself, so I can't recommend the Netgear one way or the other)

 


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!