Community Forum

Repeating slow downstream during evening hours

Regular Visitor

Repeating slow downstream during evening hours

I have been experiencing slow network speeds during evening hours.  Apparently when there is more load on our node from other families in our neighborhood being home and putting load on the node.  I have had techs out twice and they replaced connectors at each point within my home and replaced our Xfinity Gateway Modem.  The problem persists with speeds going from average of 150Mb downstream during the day to 9-70 at times during the evening hours (approx 8:30 - midnight).  During my last support call during a period when we were experiencing a wide range of speeds, the tech looked and said there appeared to be a large number of T3 timeouts beginning around 8:25 thru 1:00 am.  Why does it take 3 calls before this is seen?  I am hopeful that the tech scheduled to come out this Thursday is able to do more than cut coax cables and put new ends on them and tighten with a wrench and tell me "everything looks good".  It might "look good", but it is not working as expected and I am definitely not getting what I'm paying for.

Expert

Re: Repeating slow downstream during evening hours

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Hi TRudy72223,  I am showing you talked to an agent after you posted here. Please let us know if you are still in need of assistance.  

Thank you

Regular Visitor

Yes, I've talked with several agents and yes, we still experience slow performance and TV picture pixelation during the late evening hours.  The last tech that came to my house told me there was basically nothing he could do and that he would request that maintenace add my gateway/modem to a watch to monitor performance.  I have heard nothing since that visit.  I too decided to monitor and have a dedicated RasPi connected directly to the modem/gateway running and logging up/downstream speeds on a 10 minute increment.  Over a weeks period, my log shows speeds dropping to as low as 24Mb downstream even though I am paying for 150.  Either our subdivision's node is overloaded or there is another issue which needs to be resolved. I am almost to the point of joining others in my neighborhood, and other surrounding neighborhoods, all experiencing the same problem in filing a complaint.

Regular Visitor

Thanks @nerdburg!

image.pngGateway modemimage.pngSignal info

image.pngEvent log page 1

image.pngevent log page 2

Expert

Humm you definitely have some issues there, my initial suspicion is that the gateway itself is on the fritz, but I would expect that your tech should have noticed that as well. I'll ask @ComcastPhill or another employee to review your modem and node health. They can also see some other values that we can't. 

I've escalated this for you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Regular Visitor

Possibly gateway issue, but this is the second Xfinity/Comcast supplied GW/Modem.....

Official Employee

Hello TRudy72223. I can assist with performing a diagnostic test on your modem to see if there is any signs of intermittent signal degradation. I can also poll your local Node/Plant area for errors and integrity. If needed, we can replace your modem again, as well. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can assist you.