Community Forum

Rename the xfinitywifi network

Frequent Visitor

Rename the xfinitywifi network

Just signed up for xfinity internet at our rental property. Before I did I asked if the xfinitywifi SSID could be changed on our Xfinity Wireless Gateway. Naturally they said yes, you can do it in the Xfi app. Well now that our 'private' network is up and I called support the person said no they are not able to change that name. I feel like I was lied to by the first person. I was hoping to have our private network and the second one be called 'guest user'. Are there any higher up support folks that can do this? Guess I have to get my own modem and router to do this.

Expert

Re: Rename the xfinitywifi network

The SSID / broadcast name of the public xfinitywifi hotspot cannot be changed.  You could just use it as is and tell your guests that this is their guest network.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

My understanding is that to access the xfinitywifi network you need to be an xfinity customer and log onto the network with your xfinity/comcast userid. Are you saying that I can create a generic userid and password for them to use? How would I do that?

Expert

@mikearc wrote:

My understanding is that to access the xfinitywifi network you need to be an xfinity customer and log onto the network with your xfinity/comcast userid.

Yes. You certainly can connect to the public network to gain internet access, but you can't change the network name as stated. They have it hardcoded.

Are you saying that I can create a generic userid and password for them

to use? How would I do that?

No, I'm not saying that..

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, for the info, but if they are not an xfinity customer and don't have a userid then there is no use to tell them to connect to the xfinitywifi network. I'm not going to give them my id. If they happen to be a xfinity customer then they should already know about it. You can mark this one closed.

Expert

O/k, sorry that we were not on the same page... Smiley Sad

Contributor

You could set up an additional user on your xfinity account for your guest to use.  

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/adding-new-user-names-or-email-addresses

I prefer the user owned modem and router (not a gateway) as that gives you total control and over the long haul, is less expensive. 

Expert

"Each account user must reside at the premises where the Xfinity services are provided."

" you can create up to six distinct usernames online." <<<<< only six. Moot anyway.

And that won't get the SSID changed. Additional user is for account management purposes.