Community Forum

Remote access to Router and DDNS

New Poster

Remote access to Router and DDNS

Hello, I'm new here. 

I bought a NAS and want  to WOL when I'm not at home.  I just need to remote access my asus ac3100 router (No need to remote access the NAS). It has the WOL function. 

What is the easiest and most reliable way to set up? I was trying to set DDNS but how could I get an external IP address to access my asus router? When I turned on DDNS the router gave an error message:

"The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address. This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment."

I was able to find the external IP address of my xfinity modem. I’m pretty much stuck at this point.

Please help.

Thank you!

Expert

Re: Remote access to Router and DDNS

Do you have the user manual ? It says that DDNS won't work if the router is using a private WAN IP addy rather than a public one.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the reply.

That's my question. What's the easiest way to give my router a public IP?

Expert

If the modem is connected directly to the Comcast feed / system, and you have regular residential service, their DHCP server should be assigning a public / WAN IP addy to your router, not a private non-routable one.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Should I set the modem to bridge mode?

Expert

Ah ha.There is the problem. You didn't mention that you were hanging the Asus off of a gateway device. I thought you were using a straight cable modem. Yes. It must be in bridge mode. You'll also have a double NAT condition if you don't.

New Poster

Yes, exactly, I’m having a double NAT problem. I’ll try sign a static IP to my router, set modem to bridge mode. See if I can get the DDNS work. Is there anything else I need to change?

Expert

You can't assign a static IP to the router with the gateway in bridge mode. Just let their DHCP server assign the dynamic public IP addy to the Asus router.

New Poster

Done. 

Actually way easier than I thought. Like you said, turned on bridge mode on xfinity gateway. Asus router automatically caught the public IP. Went to NO IP signed for a free domain and account. Turned on DDNS, input the domain and account into Asus router. Everything works well. 

Thank you!

Expert

Quite welcome !! Happy surfing !