Community Forum

Reliable Brands of Home RAID Storage Devices.

Frequent Visitor

Reliable Brands of Home RAID Storage Devices.

My 3TB Seagate Central recently "died".  (Maybe I should have used a 2nd 3TB as well.) I do have some of my files stored on a 2TB Seagate Go-Flex USB 3.0, but I already miss some of the unique files on the non functioning 3TB. At this point, I'd like to make saves with synchroniized drives. Does any one want to share any GOOD Experiences with a NAS RAID I devices with either 6TB X2 or 8TB X2? (Please mention brand as well.) All opinions are welcomed. Thanks, ren1pa

Valued Contributor

Re: Reliable Brands of Home RAID Storage Devices.

@ren1pa I have enjoyed my Drobo. Have been using for my home business storage solution and offers many raid types as well as compadability between my mac/pc household. Hope this information is useful to you. -TheMasterTech

Expert

I have a QNAP TS-231P with two WD 3TB Red drives, configured as RAID-0, which is itself backed up to a WD 6TB MyBook attached to the USB port, and it works really well.

I have it configured both as a Time Machine and a local Google Drive and Windows backup, as well as a local iTunes server.  It's a basic 2-bay NAS, which serves my needs perfectly.

Also, a good tip on using backups is always to have at least one local backup (in addition to your original) plus a remote one if you can, in case a fire or other disaster strikes your home or office. My wife's laptop has a 1TB Microsoft OneDrive cloud backup she gets with her Office 365 subscription, for instance, and I have a Super Duper drive on my iMac (as well as a 200 GB iCloud Drive) in addition to the QNAP. 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you. Very helpful.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your advice. I will research, ren