Community Forum

Recommendation for Modems purchased from a Retailer

Regular Contributor

Recommendation for Modems purchased from a Retailer

Xfinity is recommending that we update our modem because the current purchased modem that we use (Netgear CMD31T-100NAS) cannot keep up with the speeds now available.  Our plan speed is 150 mpbs. We currently use a Netgear Router also. 

The current compatible modems are:

Arris SB 8200

Netgear CM 1000 1AZNAS

Netgear CM1000

Netgear CM 1100

If anyone has had and experience (good or bad) with any of these modems, would appreciate hearing about it. 

Thanks!

kathyjoe
Expert

Re: Recommendation for Modems purchased from a Retailer

@kathyjoe wrote:

Xfinity is recommending that we update our modem because the current purchased modem that we use (Netgear CMD31T-100NAS) cannot keep up with the speeds now available.  Our plan speed is 150 mpbs. We currently use a Netgear Router also. 

The current compatible modems are:

Arris SB 8200

Netgear CM 1000 1AZNAS

Netgear CM1000

Netgear CM 1100

If anyone has had and experience (good or bad) with any of these modems, would appreciate hearing about it. 

Thanks!

The modems you listed are all gigabit capable modems. They're all really good, save for the 1AZNAS variant of the CM1000, but may be a bit of overkill for your subscribed speed tier, unless you plan to upgrade to Extreme 400 or Gigabit in the near future. 

I personally own an ARRIS SB8200 and it's been an excellent performer. 

If you're planning to stay with your 150 Mbps speed tier for the time being, I would recommend the ARRIS SB6183 - rock solid, dependable, and can support up to 250 Mbps download speeds. If you're leaning towards Netgear, the CM500 and CM600 are also very good choices. 

You can also browse https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com , log in with your account, and check what available retail modems you can use for your speed tier. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@kathyjoe

Check out: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Approved-Xfinity-Modems-and-Gateways/m-p/3109887

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

darkangelic:  Thank you!!! This is great information.  I will use it when we go shopping to choose a modem.

kathyjoe
Regular Contributor

Thank you, Nerdberg.  I saw that list.  Just wanted to get input from users who have experience with any of the modems before purchasing one.

kathyjoe
Expert

Great! Don't buy either of these two:

Arris SB 8200 <-stinker

Netgear CM 1000 1AZNAS <-not supported.

Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

That's the kind of input I'm looking for!   Thanks!!!

kathyjoe
Problem Solver

if you have a router connected to your modem, you need to ensure its ethernet port is gigabit enabled and NOT only 10/100 Mbps.  10/100 would limit your speed to 100 Mbps.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Regular Contributor

jav6joev:

We do have a router. It is a  Netgear WNDR3400 N600.  I googled the info on it and this is what it says: 

What is the maximum wireless speed of the WNDR3400v3?
The maximum speed for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands is upto 300Mbps.

How many Ethernet ports does WNDR3400v3 have?
WNDR3400v3 has 5 Ethernet ports (1 WAN and 4 LAN).

How many USB ports does it have?
WNDR3400v3 has 1 USB 2.0 port.

Does the WNDR3400v3 have a Gigabit WAN port?
No. This model does not have a Gigabit WAN port.

Does this mean that I also have to get a new router? Any info you can provide is most appreciated. 

kathyjoe
Problem Solver

I have the 150 Mbps service and was only getting 90+ when testing using http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ from a PC connected to my router.  I realized my router only had a 10/100 WAN port connecting to my modem.  I upgraded my router to one with a gigabit WAN port and now am getting closer to the 150 rate.  That 10/100 WAN port was a constriction point in achieving desired speeds.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Regular Contributor

So it looks like a new modem and a new router.  Would rather know all of this beforehand rather than being in the middle of it and having to troubleshoot.

Thanks again for your input. 

kathyjoe
Expert

That router definitely needs an upgrade, not just for the speed, but for security. The last software upgrade for it was in January, and there have been a slew of malware threats that target routers that have popped up in the interim.  Joe made a good catch.

If you need help choosing one, I recommend this list.  (I own one of them, the ASUS RT-AC88U )

Regular Contributor

We have some serious shopping to do now and this list will be very helpful, along with the recommendations on the modems.

Thanks!

kathyjoe
Contributor

All good recommendations but I also think you should look at the entire signal path, if you direct connect  be sure your  cables are cat 5/6/7,  the router in most cases now will support wireless up to ac or in extreme cases ad, you don't need to pay the extra for anything beyond ac.  The router must support dual band concurrent 2.4 and 5 ghz bands . Last, and I got caught with this, most vendors install some sort of minicard in both desktops and laptops that is extremely limited in bandwidth. Look at the actual specs for your wireless adapter, you may have to upgrade . There is a huge selection of both cards and usb adapters that support wireless a/b/g/n/ac with ac being the best but also providing the shortest range. Happy shopping, take your time, there are a lot of options.

Expert

@jw32097 wrote:

if you direct connect  be sure your  cables are cat 5/6/7, 

FWIW, cat 5e would be better than "cat 5".

Regular Contributor

Thank you!

kathyjoe
Regular Contributor

Thank you, I'll be sure to check that.

kathyjoe
Silver Problem Solver

@EG wrote:

@jw32097 wrote:

I ran 100' cat 5 10 years ago in my attic.  I'm not sure how to replace it other than to pay someone.  I decided to go with Orbi's instead.  Can't use backhaul because of the cat5; too slow.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Nerdburg wrote:

Great! Don't buy either of these two:

Arris SB 8200 <-stinker

Netgear CM 1000 1AZNAS <-not supported.

Smiley Happy

Follow up: The Netgear CM 1000 1AZNAS is now supportedSmiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@EG wrote:

@jw32097 wrote:

I ran 100' cat 5 10 years ago in my attic.  I'm not sure how to replace it other than to pay someone.  I decided to go with Orbi's instead.  Can't use backhaul because of the cat5; too slow.

If the cables are 8 wire instead of 4 wire, all you have to do is crimp new connectors onto the cables and they should be OK for gigabit, providing you the cable runs aren't too long. 

Contributor

My setup is:
NetGear CM1000
Orbi RBK50
Xfinity 1Gig service

The Netgear/Orbi combo performed amazingly when I had the 400MB service; consistently served me 550-600MB via WiFi.

Once on the GB service, the service dances between 400-700MB, on rare occasion in the high 800MB's. But I'm pleased with it.

Silver Problem Solver

@darkangelic wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@EG wrote:

@jw32097 wrote:

If the cables are 8 wire instead of 4 wire, all you have to do is crimp new connectors onto the cables and they should be OK for gigabit, providing you the cable runs aren't too long. 

Hmm.  it appears it is labeled Cat6.Cat 6.jpg

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Thank you,

I am very interested in combos that people are using and the results they are getting.

kathyjoe
Regular Contributor

Still havenot made a decision on this; however, I just found this device, which claims to be a combo modem/router.  Does anyone know if this would work.   or if it is what it appears to be: A router and a Modem in one.  The advertisement on Amazon says it is Xfinity Certified. Would save a lot of headaches if I could just buy one item instead of 2. 

NETGEAR - Dual-Band N600 Router with 8 x 4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Black-Angle_Standard

kathyjoe
Expert

Yes. It is a combo modem / router *gateway* device that supports speeds up to 212 Mbps;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/netgear-c3700-100nas-399

Regular Contributor

So instead of buying a modem and a router, I can buy this and be done with it? Also, I did an Xfinity Speed Test just now and here are the results.  Not so sure I even need to replace at this time.  Just looking into this because of the letter from Xfinity. 

Speed Results

Download Speed
251.5 Mbps
Upload Speed
10.6 Mbps
kathyjoe
Expert

@kathyjoe wrote:

So instead of buying a modem and a router, I can buy this and be done with it?

Yes.

Also, I did an Xfinity Speed Test just now and here are the results.  Not so sure I even need to replace at this time.  Just looking into this because of the letter from Xfinity. 

Speed Results

Download Speed
251.5 Mbps
Upload Speed
10.6 Mbps

There are better / more expensive choices. That unit is only an "N600".

Regular Contributor

"There are better / more expensive choices. That unit is only an "N600"."

Not sure what N600 even means, but I don't necessarily need a "more expensive" choice.   Just one that will get the job done.  We currently use WNDR3400v3 — N600 Wireless Dual Band Router and have no issues with it.

However, if you can recommend a better, not necessarily more expensive choice, I will consider it.

Thanks!

@EG wrote:

@kathyjoe wrote:

So instead of buying a modem and a router, I can buy this and be done with it?

Yes.

Also, I did an Xfinity Speed Test just now and here are the results.  Not so sure I even need to replace at this time.  Just looking into this because of the letter from Xfinity. 

Speed Results

Download Speed
251.5 Mbps
Upload Speed
10.6 Mbps

kathyjoe
Expert

@kathyjoe wrote:

Not sure what N600 even means,

https://www.google.com/search?q=n600+meaning&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS782US782&oq=n600+mea&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i...

Contributor

If you are happy with your connection speeds, barring failure, you are correct that there is no reason to upgrade. Comcast keeps adding bandwidth to their packages and your existing equipment may not allow you to take advantage of it.  The unit you showed us in theory doubles your download speed( 4 channels to eight channels) an increase upto approximately 350mbps.  Wireless is not an upgrade since you already have an n600 router, and may in fact not be an improvement since these combo units frequently do not have the range you get with a separate unit.

Take some time and ask questions. 

Regular Contributor

EG:   Thank you for that link; I should have googled it myself, but this tech stuff is wearing me down. Appreciate your help!

kathyjoe
Regular Contributor

:  Thank you, and I will ask questions; I don't think the unit I showed you was wireless, though.
kathyjoe
Expert

@kathyjoe wrote:

EG:   Thank you for that link; I should have googled it myself, but this tech stuff is wearing me down. Appreciate your help!

Quite welcome !

Contributor

@kathyjoe wrote:
:  Thank you, and I will ask questions; I don't think the unit I showed you was wireless, though.

The netgear unit you attached the picture of  has 8 downstream channels giving you the possibility of approximately 350mbps download(assuming you are subscribed for that tier) and an inbuilt wireless router (n600).  In your situation just purchasing a replacement docsis 3.0 modem with  8 or 16 download channels and keeping your existing netgear router would allow you to, again theoretically, have downloads up to the neighborhood of 700mbps with the 16 channel unit. The docsis 3.0 modems are reasonably priced.  

Expert

@jw32097 wrote:

The netgear unit you attached the picture of  has 8 downstream channels giving you the possibility of approximately 350mbps download(assuming you are subscribed for that tier) .  

The C3700 100NAS will only support speeds up to 212 Mbps (as I posted earlier)  on the Comcast system regardless of any manufacturer rating / claim;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/netgear-c3700-100nas-399

Regular Contributor

Ok. Thanks......need some time to digest all of this.....

kathyjoe