Community Forum

Re: how do I connect Orbi to xfinity gateway?

New Poster

I'm having a issue where the xfinity modem doesn't show the orbi in the device list and looks like it's being blocked.

New Poster

Did you ever get your orbi working? And do you like the Orbi?
Expert

The Orbi is not a Comcast device and won’t show up on your account device list. Put the gateway into bridge mode and disconnect all Ethernet if any are connected from the gateway. Connect the Orbi base station to Ethernet port 1. Connect other Ethernet devices to Orbi.
Silver Problem Solver

I have the Orbi; Ookla speed test with my iPhone7 is 239 down, which is the same as my ethernet download.  But the bars on my iPhone7 are only at two.  Don't know what that means.

Linksys has the Velop which is AC6600.  Don't know what that means, either.  Just FYI.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

jweaver0312 wrote:
The Orbi is not a Comcast device and won’t show up on your account device list. Put the gateway into bridge mode and disconnect all Ethernet if any are connected from the gateway. Connect the Orbi base station to Ethernet port 1. Connect other Ethernet devices to Orbi.

Hmm,  I put my XB3 in bridge mode but I left my ethernet network connected to it rather than moving it to the Orbi.  I'm not sure it makes any difference.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Diamond Problem Solver

RobertWy wrote:

Hmm,  I put my XB3 in bridge mode but I left my ethernet network connected to it rather than moving it to the Orbi.  I'm not sure it makes any difference.

If it is truly in bridge mode, only ethernet port number 1 should be active on the XB3. If it is not, you have double NAT with anything that is connected to the Orbi (wired or wireless..)

Silver Problem Solver

EG wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

If it is truly in bridge mode, only ethernet port number 1 should be active on the XB3. If it is not, you have double NAT with anything that is connected to the Orbi (wired or wireless..)

I moved my ethernet network to the Orbi.  Thanks; no reason to take any chances; it was just moving one ethernet cable from the gateway to the Orbi.

Diamond Problem Solver

Unless you are getting a private IP address (10.x.x.x) assigned to the WAN facing interface of the Orbi, the XB3 is not truly in bridge. As stated, no other ports should be / should have been active on the XB3 except for port number one.

Silver Problem Solver

EG wrote:

Unless you are getting a private IP address (10.x.x.x) assigned to the WAN facing interface of the Orbi, the XB3 is not truly in bridge. As stated, no other ports should be / should have been active on the XB3 except for port number one.

If I understand you, I don't know how to put the XB3 in bridge mode other than through the interface.  And when in bridge mode, the XB3 wifi SSID's are disabled and do not show up.  The Orbi's signon is 10.0.0.48.  The gateway's signon is still 10.0.0.1.  Does that mean anything?

New Poster

It's means that you don't know anything...
Silver Problem Solver

Malkerian wrote:
It's means that you don't know anything...

Hmm.  I DO know that everything works.  And no double NAT.

And I am now getting 299 down when sitting next to the Orbi.