Community Forum

Re: connecting with Alexa

New Poster

Have you gone through amazon support and followed all the instructions on the Alexa app? Comcast internet works just fine with those devices

Seriously? Yes, after my Echo Dot failed to connect to Wi-Fi I got on the phone with Amazon Support and followed all their troubleshooting steps for a good forty minutes. They were stumped. That was two weeks ago, and now the main Echo in the kitchen also won't connect to my Wi-Fi network. I've tried setting it up seven times; each time it fails midway through setup at the point where it tries to connect to my network. I've given it the correct credentials. Both these devices worked fine until I upgraded my Comcast router; that's where the problem began. The network has a strong signal throughout the house and every other device works fine with it. I'm not necessarily blaming Comcast over Amazon, but to say that Comcast "works just fine" with Alexa devices is belied by the many customer posts I see here reporting the same problem.

New Poster

My echo dot connected just fine with Xfinity wifi
Official Employee

Hi, johntheeditor. What sort of error messaging are you receiving at this point when trying to connect your device?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Hi, ComcastMorgan--thanks for your response. The Alexa app has me connect to the Echo's private Wi-Fi network so it can transmit my home network's SSID and password to the device. That part apparently succeeds, but setup fails at the point where the Echo tries to connect to the home network. Needless to say, I've triple-checked my SSID and password information--I've probably tried this a dozen times now, including in the same room as the Comcast router.

New Poster

The error message is something along the lines of "Cannot connect to home network. Try again later, or see Troubleshooting."

Official Employee

Good afternoon, johntheeditor. Do you by chance have an Xfinity hotspot within range when you view your list of available networks while at home?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Good afternoon, johntheeditor. Do you by chance have an Xfinity hotspot within range when you view your list of available networks while at home?

Yes, I do. 

In all I had about two months of general connectivity problems; the problem with the Echos was only one of the symptoms. Comcast finally resolved the problem by providing a separate third-party router and setting the Comcast modem/router to bridge mode.

Official Employee

Oh wow. Has everything been taken care of up to this point then, johntheeditor? 

New Poster

Yes, everything seems to be resolved now. Thanks.