Community Forum

Re: Unbelievable internet slow speed

New Poster

We are having similar issues. We upgraded our internet tier to 250MB and modem to the CGM4140 com, and have worse service. Modem is in the exact same location as previous modem and the exact same devices are connecting, yet we constantly get dropped from the network, have poor connection status and lag, and get MISERABLE speed tests. I'm testing at a top of 45MB download speed on every device in the house thats on WIFI.👿 The LAN speed tests great. Since absolutely nothing else in my house has changed, I can only conclude that the WIFI module in these fancy Xfi modems are junk; I refuse to spend $119 for 3 extenders when my previous "outdated" modem had no problem delivering faster, consistent, and more reliable WIFI from the exact same location to the exact same devices in my home on a slower internet tier of 150 MB.
Expert

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods, powerline ethernet adapters, MoCA adapters. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I  have having terrible wifi issues on this same model brand new modem as well.  Constant loss over and over again even a few feet away.  Xfinity says delivery of signal to modem is OK, but from modem/router to wireless devices is the problem.  Not resolved, I have an active thread today at https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Constant-Wifi-Drops-CGM4140COM-firewall-logs-show-IP... .   Under Troubleshooting/Logs the Firewall log shows Input Drops and Forward Drops, now continuing even with the Firewall disabled completely by a Tech.  Out of curiousity have you checked the logs? No solution so far and Comcast suggests I pay for extenders.  I think I will have to buy my own modem/router vs this rented one that clearly has issues.  My old AT&T modem/router in the same spot in the house had zero issues.

Firewalll Drops 4.JPG
Official Employee

Hi All, 

I'd be happy to look into your speed concerns. Appreciate you taking the time to post on the forums. Please send me a private message with your full name for assistance.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

wfi tops out at  53mbs for g  and 300ish for N  so if you getting less than that   and you are wireless thats actually normal just change your billing or plug in directly  (used to be a networking tech)