Community Forum

Re: Two Modems on 1 account?

New Poster

I’m paying 200 a month and if they will charge me for using a second modem I bought I’m switching to sonic fiber optic. I’m tired of my kids tripping over Ethernet cables that I have to run all the to the other side of the house and for paying 200 dollars a month I will not settle for less than gigabit speeds by using WiFi repeaters or Ethernet wall sockets. My kids and myself as well play pc games which require low latency which requires a hardwire connect with no WiFi bridging from the modem.
Expert

@StBean wrote:
I’m paying 200 a month and if they will charge me for using a second modem I bought I’m switching to sonic fiber optic. I’m tired of my kids tripping over Ethernet cables that I have to run all the to the other side of the house and for paying 200 dollars a month I will not settle for less than gigabit speeds by using WiFi repeaters or Ethernet wall sockets. My kids and myself as well play pc games which require low latency which requires a hardwire connect with no WiFi bridging from the modem.

First off, what makes you think that any consumer ISP is going to let you have more than one publicly facing modem on a single consumer account without paying for it? 

Second, all the gaming rigs in my house - two XBox Ones, two computers, an XBox 360 - are all hardwired to minimize lag. I had to work at getting them set up like that. If your kids are tripping over the Ethernet wires, you're doing it wrong. Use some imagination - secure the Ethernet cables with wire ties ,wall tacks or other cable management devices. Get longer lengths so they can be run along floor edges or up on walls, away from foot traffic. Invest in some cheap Ethernet switches if you have to, to allow for multiple branched connections. 

This isn't that hard, really.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!