Community Forum

Re: Too Much Signal Power

New Poster

I bit more research and I think I know what happened. I live in south Florida and temps are usually in the 80s. Last week we had a drop to 48 degrees which is when the modem was having issues. Maybe the downstream power went closer to 15 due to the colder weather.

Would something like a 6db Attenuator work to avoid power going too high during colder temps? Would that raise my upstream too high?
Official Employee

Can’t comment on whether a 6db attenuator would affect your upstream negatively, you didn’t state what it was. A simulator is a better option as it only affects downstream

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Upstream is at 40 right now
Official Employee

You’ll be fine

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

So 6db will get me the lower power I need? If SNR drops a bit is that fine or should I then remove it?
Expert

What exactly is the original problem that you are experiencing other than looking at the power level  ? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

When temps dropped about 30 degrees last week, internet connection was dropping. Temp is back up no but expected to drop again so I’m trying to avoid the connection issue.
Regular Visitor

So I added a 10db attenuator and now my power levels are sitting between 1 - 1.7 dbm. This down from 11 - 12 dbm. SNR is up 1 to 40

Upstream power is at 48 now up from 40.

Are these numbers better or should I remove it?
Official Employee

It’s in range, as long as your service is working,you’re ok

Regular Visitor

Is it better than before though?
Official Employee

That’s subjective, you improved downstream but raised the upstream. It’s tough to hit the sweet spot, a 6db attenuator May have been a better choice. Check those signals again in the summer.Also, you only gave 1 channel, instead of all. Again, as long as your services are working well, you’re in the range.

Regular Visitor

I actually have a 6db laying around. I’ll try that and post results.

Here are all channels

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/53pa2p.jpg[/IMG]