Community Forum

Re: Range extender issue

Frequent Visitor

I just received an Amped High Power range extender. After nearly an hour on the phone with their customer service, the tech learned that no extenders are known to work with Comcastt's Gateway. Comcast customer service suggested what previous folks have said - add on a separate wireless router and try again.
Regular Contributor

The Amped extender doesn't actually boost the original network, it creates it's own SSID, and your devices may be seeing both networks and becoming confused as to which to connect to, or connecting to each back and forth...

Is your goal just to get those 3 devices online?  Return the Amped, get an EA series Cisco router, and a Cisco WES610N Wireless Bridge...

If it's to boost the signal of ONE network, the Cisco RE1000 will work, just make sure you get all the same brand equipment if its wireless boosting you need...

Frequent Visitor

You can also grab a old router and install the DD-WRT firmware on it which will allow you to create your own wireless bridge or extender. Here is the supported devices list http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices Edit: I may have jumped the gun for I didnt read that no extenders work with Comcast's Wireless Gateway. I guess it could be worth the try.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the tips. I am "simply" trying to get wireless internet connection outside of my house so that I can work/watch streaming video in a detached garage (about 200 feet from base unit). Two attempts with two different range extenders have failed. (Oddly, the home network "disappeares" from view.) I previously had DSL via AT&T and that wireless gateway had no problem connecting and rebroadcasting via a netgear signal extender. I am still eager to try a signal extender (does the bridge do the same?) as I've had internet access in the garage for years now. Thanks. John
Regular Contributor

I think your best bet it to have the gateway placed into bridge mode by calling 1 800 363 2416, and run your own decent router that will broadcast far enough...

Frequent Visitor

Here's a pic on how a wireless bridge works. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Standard_bridge_large.jpg
Regular Contributor

I can vouch for the DD-WRT route if you feel like getting advanced with everything, but you'll need the gateway in bridge mode, and two seperate routers, one being supported by dd-wrt f/w...

If you want to keep things simplified, get a router, but be sure to have same brand router and extender...  bring the amped back...

Frequent Visitor

Hey, I have a question about that. Will the wireless bridge still work with the Xfinity router? I haven't had the need for this lately but I am curious. Thanks.
Regular Contributor

U mean the Cisco WES610N wireless bridge?  You know I'm not real sure, but I would imagine that it will, even though extenders do not...  It's not repeating or boosting the network at all...  It connects just like a computer would, and broadcasts through four ethernet slots on the back...  Mine's in bridge mode, so I wouldn't be able to confirm it for you...  During the initial setup, I hardwired my laptop to it to access it's interface...  it has a default ip of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx I can't remember the rest...  In it's interface, which is very similar to a Cisco router interface, you can scan for networks, and connect to them...  Once youre connected, you will need to use the routers DHCP lease list to get its true IP address and login to it...

Here are some screenshots of its interface...

Wireless Site Survey

Status

WMM Settings

Advanced Settings

If you notices in the status page, it was only connected at 13.5 Mbps, but only because I'm not actively using anything connected from it...  If I were to be streaming an HS movie, and check its Status, it would report either 270Mbps or 300Mbps...

It's a fine device in my opinion...  It just works...

Regular Contributor

Someone with a little deeper network knowledge is going to have to determine will it work with the gateway's network or not....  It works fine with my Cisco EA4500 but of course it would...

Frequent Visitor

I have temporarily put my quest for the range extender on hold until I resolve what may be part of the problem. Latest configuration - i too have the Cisco EA4500 router connected via bridge to my Xfinity SAC gateway. I keep getting dropped internet connection even though it seems to stay connected to the router. Comcast techs say their signal is fine - which then pushes the problem back to Cicso. Am going to let it all rest for the holiday! Still - I have tried to use the Amped range extender and an older Netgear wall box (that I used for years when I had DSL). Neither worked well for more than 10 mnins before lots of these problems magnified - stumping everyone, frankly. The last comcast tech suggested i ask Comcast for a basic cable modem vs. the gateway device to try all this from the start. Any thoughts? Thanks
Tags (2)
Problem Solver

John_in_Bethel wrote: The last comcast tech suggested i ask Comcast for a basic cable modem vs. the gateway device to try all this from the start. Any thoughts? Thanks

Yes John...most wireless gateways, and certainly Comcast supplied models due to their limited settings due to firmware, are the Devil's tool!

Well...maybe a small exaggeration, but...

If you are not using an eMTA (voice and internet), then yes, either have Comcast swap you a basic D3 cable modem, or buy your own (recommend the Zoom 5341J) and quit paying rent.  Then use a quality router and you should have no issues with the range extender.

***Although I am partial to the Linksys EA series routers, do beware that they have changed their firmware to run it from the cloud, which has garnered a lot of angst from some users... personally I have no problem at all with that,and you can run their "classic" firmware to bypass that.***

Regular Contributor

Just because the signal may look fine while youre talking with that particular agent, doesnt mean the modem doesnt lose sync from the cable network...  the smc gateway is trash, the arris is a decent device in bridged mode as emta only...  you're gonna have to base whats wrong by what fixes it...  when the connection drops are all the modem lights still solid?  then the modems online...  powercycle the router...  did it bring the connection back with no work to the modem?  i sometimes have to powercycle only my ea4500, whereas in the past, with a cheaper router, and an older arris emta i never had to do that...   i'm not sure what the deal it with these gateways...  maybe once a week ill lose internet, phone still works, and ill remotely reboot the router or pull the power cord...   if it's any worse than that, i would recommend getting a new piece of equipment, i dont see how its your router...

Frequent Visitor

Do you think I should try the cable modem that Comcast may offer first? Or go right for the Zoom device? thanks
Regular Contributor

Do you have comcast phone service?  If so, you have to stay with their Gateway or EMTA....  If not, try a modem offered by them, it's free to swap...  Then you'll know is it the service or the equipment...  Then go for the Zoom...

Frequent Visitor

ah yes I have triple play. Is the EMT device separate from the modem? Does it sit in same location or is it somewhere else in the house (perhaps the basement with the main wiring)? John
Problem Solver

John_in_Bethel wrote:
Do you think I should try the cable modem that Comcast may offer first? Or go right for the Zoom device? thanks

I have no squabbles with the D3 cable modems that Comcast provides, but for around $80 you can buy your own modem and save the $7 a month rent.  The Zoom 5341J (make sure it is the "J" model) is well recommended by many Comcast customers.

Problem Solver

John_in_Bethel wrote:
ah yes I have triple play. Is the EMT device separate from the modem? Does it sit in same location or is it somewhere else in the house (perhaps the basement with the main wiring)? John

Yikes!  I just saw your last reply.  Since you are using an eMTA gateway (voice as well as internet), let me retract that!  The ability to self-own an eMTA that works with Comcast is pretty restricted, and I would not bother going that route.

Your gateway is an eMTA modem, as well as router.  The only Comcast self-owned eMTA currently is the Arris TM722G, and only through selected Best Buy stores that have a Comcast center...and there are fewer of those than ever.

Regular Contributor

You have the SMC gateway, and it's trash in ALL respects...  it can't be remote logged into (possibly now, i don't work for comcast anymore), in several spots it says the letters SMC, and yours is potentially causing you issues....   A tech has to swap that, to get the phone working correctly...  My personal recommendation is to do what I did...  I scheduled an APPT and told them everything works great, but maybe once a day, sometimes twice, my EMTA would reboot itself (a lie of course, but it was a 402G, like 5yrs old, and I wanted a D3 device, so from experience, and the desire to not argue with an agent while I was currently an agent, it was best to say what I did), and I'd like to have my equipment changed out because it resets itself...  And when it does that, sometimes I have to powercycle my router, blah blah blah, I'm sure you can handle it...

These gateways are pretty much what they're gonna have on the truck....  I even asked the tech for a TM722G but he didn't have one, so I said as long as the gateway is Arris I'll take it....  It's in bridged mode, with the same router you have, EA4500, and I really can't complain...

I hope you get your issue fixed...

Regular Contributor

I'd also like to add that the SMC gateway has a bug in its FW where when the power goes out, and the device is in acFail status, when power is restored, the WiFi sometimes will not come back on, requiring a factory reset, and that doesn't always fix it...  doesn't pertain to you, because its bridged, but just more evidence that it's trash...

Expert

FWIW here, my understanding is that if an SMC gateway device has been put in to bridge mode by them that a "reset to factory defaults" operation will remove it from being in bridge mode, so one would need to call in again to have it re-bridged by them.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Range extender that is compatible with Comcast router.

Regular Contributor

Yup...

Regular Visitor

I bought a wireless router 900N splits 450.  Brought that upstairs where I was having deadspots to broadcast better to the rest of the house.  I have the Arris. I am having the same problems with finding a range extender that won't drop the connection.  The first one I tried dropped connections every 2 minutes.  The second one was stronger and closer to the base.  The second one was positioned half way in the house the way the instructions read and still could not hold a connection. 

It was explained before I went with Comcast that this was a heavy user wireless household and I was assured the service would be better.  We have a homeschooler with live classes and even hard wired to the connection his computer dropped in the middle of a class.  My problem is having been with FIOS and moving to this (which is supposed to have better connections, etc.) experiencing the drops (and dead spots in my house) on connection.  It was also explained that we will continue to use  Roku's on our tvs as there are channels available that doesn't appear on any channel packages in any of the current TV/Internet providers.  Not happy when we start to watch one of these shows and have to try to reconnect to the internet in order to finish watching the show.  This happens multiple times during a show as well.

We were given the Arris as the wireless product was not available when they installed.  When I called I was told my wireless router was better than what they could supply.  So why doesn't comcast get something that will do the same job?  I can't keep buying range extenders to try that fail, especially since the salesperson at Best Buy told me they have to be on the same electric circuit.  Impossible to do since each room in the house is not on the same circuit.

Official Employee

You should have got your own router and call in to put the arris in bridge mode
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Most Valued Poster

I had a similar requirement and added an Engenius Outdoor Access Point to my network.  In my case, I have a beach condominium and wanted to have internet access on the beach.  This device was fairly cheap and has teriffic range.  It has a built in directional antenna but you can also supplement that with a more powerful add-on antenna.  You can also adjust amplifier power through the web interface.  It has Power over Ethernet so installation is easy.

Frequent Visitor

Great news. Did you need an electrician or could you install it yourself? Is it outside the window where your base router is?
Most Valued Poster

Here is a newer version of the Access Point that I bought: http://engenius.factoryoutletstore.com/details/49535/engenius-enh-200-ext.html?category_id=30439

I installed it myself.  You only have an ethernet cable going to it.  You plug the other end of the ethernet cable into the power injector which plugs into a power outlet and into your router.  An easy way to get the wire outside is to get a flat ethernet cable from one of the electronic speciality stores such as Smarthome and run it under a window.  You can install the Access Point on the side of the house, onto a post, or even a tree.  Because it has a directional antenna inside, you have to point it toward the area where you want internet access.  I am using the internal antenna and am easily getting 200 yard range.  Speeds are a little slower than inside the condominium but I am able to check Email, browse internet, or stream music from the beach or our community pool.  Get the external antenna or crank up the signal setting if you need more range.  This is a business class network product that has worked very well for me.

Regular Visitor

I just installed the Xfinity modem/router, Arris Interactive, L.L.C. TG862G - Wireless Gateway. It has pretty poor range in my house. Never had this trouble with other routers. After battling with Tech Support on the phone, they suggested installing an omnidirectional wi-fi antenna. I pressed for a brand, but all they said was tell any store the brand of modem and they can tell me what is compatible. I have read that there are a lot of compatibility issues. Can someone make a suggestion as to an appropriate model to try? Or if there is a better way to extend the range? Thanks! J.R.

Most Valued Poster

I suggest returning the Xinfinity modem/router to Comcast and replacing it with a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 compliant modem and an Asus RT-N56U or RT-N66U router.  The Asus has super range and overall performance.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for that suggestion, but after the hours spent on the phone dealing with "tech support" (and yes, the parentheses are intentional!), I'm really hesitant to go with yet another modem/router. It took quite some doing to get my phones working again and only then I had to do a work around to make it work. The Apple TV still won't work off the ethernet cable.

So, for now anyway, if anyone has a suggestion for a wi-fi antenna, I sure would appreciate it. Again, thanks for your suggestion and I suspect that getting rid of this new Xfinity modem really would be the best solution. I'm just not up for another battle over the phone....

Regular Visitor

Mr Lindsey. The very first line was that I bought my own router.. The dissatisfaction is the seeming "this is what you get" attitude when there are better ones n the market for them to supply their customers. Especially when they are charging to rent them to you. When you have tech support tell you not to change to their wireless modem because the router you bought is better than what they can supply, then something is wrong. Today's society doesn't seem to be "satisfy the customer" anymore but "how much can we earn for our stockholders?". One day this attitude will come back to bite a company in the back-side. Customers are becoming more demanding in receiving good service. And in light of where our country went from manufacturing to services it's becoming pretty poor. I read some of the problems of bridging and that won't satisfy me either if I have as many problems as the others did.
Frequent Visitor

I have many issues with my wifi and customer service advised me to buy the range extender...I am in a 2 room apartment...I bought one and it did nothing ...techs came on a service call soon after and all but lauged at me for buying it. I was able to sell it on ebay to get my money back...dont waste your money on one of those

Regular Visitor

So James, after the Tech quit laughing, did they do anything to fix your problem, or are you back to square one? Thanks! J.R.

Frequent Visitor

no the problem never gets fixed....4 imes they came...changed routers and rewired my bedroom ...every time it was some other problem but the end result was always back to the same no wifi signal unless I hold something right next to the router. From what I found out on these forums there isnt uch you can do unless you are really knowledgible about this stuff (im not) but they seem to believe that comcast has the frequency turned down very low to not interfere with other products thus making the wifi pretty much unusable. I was in fact told by them that they do not guarantee the wifi speeds so right now Imtrying to figure out how Im going to buy a non wifi stream box of some sort and hard wire uit with a millionfeet of cable when I want to use netflix.
The extender thing though ...all it is is another box that has to get the signal from your router then whatever else you want to use has to get the the now even more diminished bad signal from the extender so it worked even worse when I tried that. Dont waste your time...if the service worked you shouldnt even need it.
Im always the most baffled when i can get the signal from restaurants across the highway from me better than the one in my next room...gong to have to go ask who their service is from.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply James. Why does this not surprise me!? OK, one more question for any of you. Can I install my own wireless router onto this Xfinity wi-fi modem? The router I had, had a pretty good range before I swapped it out. Thanks again, J.R.

Expert

JRFish55 wrote:

Can I install my own wireless router onto this Xfinity wi-fi modem? The router I had, had a pretty good range before I swapped it out. Thanks again, J.R.

Yes but call in to have the CC supplied "WiFi" gateway device put in to bridge mode so that it becomes a straight cable modem with which you can use your own router.

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Visitor

Thank you EG. I assume the phone connection stays hooked to the Comcast modem. And I can then use my own wireless router to connect any other device without having to call Comcast every time I want to add a new device?

Frequent Visitor

yes I heard about this method of using bridge mode...so now who can reccomend a good router and since I am clueless what exactly do you look for and how do you know the speed would be better? isnt it still going to get the same signal? or is that not how it works...UGH

Expert

JRFish55 wrote:

Thank you EG. I assume the phone connection stays hooked to the Comcast modem. And I can then use my own wireless router to connect any other device without having to call Comcast every time I want to add a new device?

Yes and yes. Smiley Happy

You connect your router to LAN port # 1 of the device after it is placed in to bridge mode.

Regular Visitor

So in essence when I was told by tech support on the phone that your wifi modem would have to have the wifi part disabled that is what you are referring to as bridging?
Expert

Caseyev52 wrote:
So in essence when I was told by tech support on the phone that your wifi modem would have to have the wifi part disabled that is what you are referring to as bridging?

"Bridging" is not only the turning of the wireless radio, full bridge mode also involves the turning off of the router component / built in DHCP server so that the device behaves like a plain vanilla cable modem.

Frequent Visitor

My Engenius extender arrives this week. Hoping to finally get good reception to an internet TV out in a garage behind my house.
New Poster

I understand what you are recommending, but am not clear on why I need to switch to bridge mode. I have a router plugged into the modem now and it throws a signal. What would bridge mode do for me? (Not doubting anyone, just trying to understand.

EG wrote:

Caseyev52 wrote:

"Bridging" is not only the turning of the wireless radio, full bridge mode also involves the turning off of the router component / built in DHCP server so that the device behaves like a plain vanilla cable modem.

Expert

Daryl_R wrote:

I understand what you are recommending, but am not clear on why I need to switch to bridge mode. I have a router plugged into the modem now and it throws a signal. What would bridge mode do for me? (Not doubting anyone, just trying to understand.

Google for "double NAT" for info.

New Poster

I was having issues w/ deadspots in my house and my old wireless extender did not work w/ the Comcast router.  I just purchased an SR 10000 Amped Wireless High Power Range extender 600mw 5 wired ports and it worked right out of the box.  I was up an running inside of 5 mins.  I didn't even have to plug it into the LAN  like my old one. Screwed in the two antennas, powered it on, connected to the built in network, opened my browser it automatically connected to the set-up page, found my home network, entered WPA key, and that was it, done. 

Highly recommend this produce for anyone w/ a Comcast router.

Hope this helps others

Expert

Thanks for the input ! Two year old thread now being closed.