Community Forum

Re: Question About Lights on Updated Modem

New Poster

I turned off the WiFi in my Comcast modem and have it in Bridge mode. This has resulted in the two WiFi lights off on the modem. This makes sense. However after s recent update, the lights are now flashing in series. Comcast does not seem to know why this is occurring even though the WiFi is off and the public hotspot is disabled. Why are they flashing now and how can I turn them off permanently?
Contributor

I haven't done anything to my settings on the updated modem, not sure how or why I would do that.  I wonder if my flashing lights have something to do with using an ethernet connection with my laptop?

It's a little annoying to have them flash like that constantly, but if it's nothing to worry about I can learn to ignore it.

New Poster

Thanks. But Do any Comcast techs read these posts? I wish someone would figure this issue out rather than tell me it’s nothing to worry about. That’s not a good answer from a company that claims to understand it’s technology.
Highlighted
Expert

@BobT4 wrote:
Thanks. But Do any Comcast techs read these posts? I wish someone would figure this issue out rather than tell me it’s nothing to worry about. That’s not a good answer from a company that claims to understand it’s technology.

Well for starters, we don't have any idea what model gateway you have, what router you have hooked up to it in Bridge Mode, etc. We can't give you concise answers if we have to guess. 

If those lights really bother you, and given that you have your gateway in Bridge Mode, you're probably better off buying your own modem and dispensing with the $13/mo rental fee. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I disagree. I finally got to a good technician at Comcast—after working with four other technicians—one of which replaced the modem. And then this forum.
The good technician resolved the problem. The light are now off.

It’s bad advice to tell someone that the solution is either to not worry about the issue, or to go out and spend your money to resolve the problem. We do pay for these electronics and the people who provide them should be able to provide knowledge answers and solutions. Persistence does work.
Contributor

Thanks for the update on your situation Bob, so I assume the flashing lights are not normal?  I would also appreciate a Comcast employee responding to this thread to explain what's going on.

I'd hate to have to get another new modem or deal with technicians for this equipment upgrade.  If it's something harmful, I guess I'll need to try and resolve it.  If it's just annoying, I can live with it.

Any Comcast service reps here care to answer the flashing light question and put my mind at rest?  Thanks.

New Poster

All I can say is that the technician I worked with solved the problem and the lights are now off. I agree that Comcast should monitor this forum and offer a real answer to questions that perplex not only us but many of their own technicians.
Contributor

I just chatted with a comcast agent online, Kishore.  He agreed with EG who intially said the flashing lights were normal, so thanks again to EG, but I wanted assurance from a comcast employee to put my mind at rest.

Kishore said the the modem was constantly processing data transmissions from the internet and that's why both the 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ were flashing since installing my updated modem.

Thanks to all who have responded.

New Poster

Provided you are using the modem for WiFi. If however you are using it in bridged mode, the lights should be off.
Expert

@BobT4 wrote:
Provided you are using the modem for WiFi. If however you are using it in bridged mode, the lights should be off.

FWIW, and AFAIK, that is a correct statement.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!