Community Forum

Re: OUTAGES!!!! WHY?!?!

Frequent Visitor

I have a similar problem that started a few weeks back.  My internet just stops working ramdomly on all devices, laptop, wired desltop, ipad, phone, etc,,,  If I wait maybe 3-5 minutes it will start working again without doing anything. 

I have update router firmware and restarted modem and router many times as well as all the devices.

This can be very frustrating at times. 

I own my modem and have not updated firmware on it, is that something that should be done?

Any help much appreciated.

Expert

Modem firmware is kept updated automatically by the Comcast system.

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the cable modem with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes, that's what I thought I said in the previous post.  When the internet goes down, it goes down on all devices..wired and wifi. 

I can switch to Verizon hotspot through my mobile phone on the wifi devices and they work.

Expert

Are you using a stand-alone cable modem and a separate router or one of those combination modem / router gateway devices ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I have Asus U68 standalone router.  I have a newer gigabit approved Netgear CM1000 modem.  I had gigabit service for a couple months and was getting 960 mB down on wired connections, but only 100-350 on wifi.  Thats why I downgraded service back to extreme and still get 320 down and 25 up.

Speeds are great, can't complain there.  I never had connectivity issues for years until the last month or so.  Nothing has changed in my network other than I downgraded the service from gigabit to extreme.  Probably coincidence but thats aproximately when issue began.

Frequent Visitor

It just went out right nowand has been out over 5 minutes.  I tried to call in but they wont give me an agent, just keeps saying it will send refresh signal.  I finally allowed that and modem rebooted but still no internet.

Grrrrr

I'm connect toVerizon hotspot right now

Frequent Visitor

So now the internet is back working fine and I still can't get an agent on the phone.  Everytime I call it still keeps saying it wants to send a modem reset which it has already did twice.  I went to support and requested a callback and fir option 5pm tomorrow.  I did request that, but this is bordering on rediculous support.