Community Forum

Re:My Comcast 2.4Gz has dropped to 10 Mbps from 68 MBps .

New Poster

Re:My Comcast 2.4Gz has dropped to 10 Mbps from 68 MBps .

I currently  have a new Netgear 3.1 Modem and Netgear Nighthawk 7800 Router which are both  powerful and expensive. I have tried 3 different modems and 4 routers over the last 20 years. My 5Gz is now 175 Mbps but has limited range about 40' so I use 2 Netgear Wifi Range Exteneders to use it for my 4 ROKU powered TV's. My 2.4Gz was 68 out to 75' but has dropped to 10 Mbps since Christmas and still there. The yearly massive influx of FL Snowbirds which starts around Labor Day  is  the reason for the 2.4Gz drop for the last 20 years.  Comcast should do something abou the slow 2.4Gz speed problem instead of blaming users poor equipment. The equipment is not the problem. I was told Xfinity is supposed to switch to 3.1 Docs starting in about June of 2019. That should help I think.  A comcast repairman told me that there is a AM radio station in Punta Gorda that can interfere with the 2.4Gz network, I am very disatisfied about Comcast 2.4Gz poor performance and should not have to add two Netgear Wifi Extenders to get 50 to 75' range with the modem and routetr I am using.  User equipment is not the problem. Comcasts failure to use Firber Optic cables instead of outdated wired trunk lines to deliver our internet service are the problem along with the fact that the entire internet sytem is wired in series instead of parallel which means the more users on your trunk line or street the slower the interent speeds. I was told about this problem by a Comcast repairman 15 years ago. Comcast does use some firber optic cables but has to rewire the entire user  internet system using them.. Until then we will have to live with this slow 2.4Gz poblem.

Expert

Re: Re:My Comcast 2.4Gz has dropped to 10 Mbps from 68 MBps .

Are you getting your speeds with a direct connection to your 3.1 cable modem And on 5.0 ? If so, how is Comcast responsible for the performance of your home network equipment / router / LAN / WiFi / external congestion ?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Re:My Comcast 2.4Gz has dropped to 10 Mbps from 68 MBps .


@gajfl322 wrote:

I currently  have a new Netgear 3.1 Modem and Netgear Nighthawk 7800 Router which are both  powerful and expensive. I have tried 3 different modems and 4 routers over the last 20 years. My 5Gz is now 175 Mbps but has limited range about 40' so I use 2 Netgear Wifi Range Exteneders to use it for my 4 ROKU powered TV's.My 2.4Gz was 68 out to 75' but has dropped to 10 Mbps since Christmas and still there.  


When you use Range Extenders, they typically cut your bandwidth in half, because they spend half their time communicating with the base (the router) and the other half communicating with the connected devices. 

 


@gajfl322 wrote:

The yearly massive influx of FL Snowbirds which starts around Labor Day  is  the reason for the 2.4Gz drop for the last 20 years.  


Unless all those snowbirds are using devices on a 2.4Ghz radio transmitter, I highly doubt they're a factor. 

 


@gajfl322 wrote:

Comcast should do something abou the slow 2.4Gz speed problem instead of blaming users poor equipment. The equipment is not the problem. 


The 2.4GHz band is pretty much unregulated; all sorts of devices are on that band, from Bluetooth to Zigbee to WiFi, plus other devices like cordless phones and baby monitors, not to mention it's subject to all sorts of interference from things like microwaves, USB 3.0 drives, monitors, other WiFi devices like repeaters and wireless access points... the list goes on. Comcast may have their problems, but this isn't their fault, they're FORCED to use the industry standard for WiFi to ensure connectivity. You wanna blame someone, blame the WiFi Alliance .

 


@gajfl322 wrote:

I was told Xfinity is supposed to switch to 3.1 Docs starting in about June of 2019. That should help I think.  A comcast repairman told me that there is a AM radio station in Punta Gorda that can interfere with the 2.4Gz network, I am very disatisfied about Comcast 2.4Gz poor performance and should not have to add two Netgear Wifi Extenders to get 50 to 75' range with the modem and routetr I am using.  User equipment is not the problem. 


The speed of your internet connection won't make a lick of difference if your WiFi network can't perform up to par. And how would  an AM radio station, that uses frequencies far below the 2.4 Ghz band of WiFi, be able to interfere with your network? 

 


@gajfl322 wrote:

User equipment is not the problem. Comcasts failure to use Firber Optic cables instead of outdated wired trunk lines to deliver our internet service are the problem along with the fact that the entire internet sytem is wired in series instead of parallel which means the more users on your trunk line or street the slower the interent speeds. I was told about this problem by a Comcast repairman 15 years ago. Comcast does use some firber optic cables but has to rewire the entire user  internet system using them.. Until then we will have to live with this slow 2.4Gz poblem.


You obviously don't know the basics of Comcast's system. Comcast's operates a hybrid fiber coaxial (HFC) network, which uses fiber to the user's local nodes, then coax for the "last mile" connection. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it that will impact your WiFi connectivity, that problem is strictly on your end as you're using a personal router. 

 

If you don't get good enough WiFi performance on your network, do some troubleshooting. These threads might help:


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!