Community Forum

Re: Intermittent packet loss and connection issues

Frequent Visitor

Hi, I’ve had the same issues over the years. I’m using pfSense on a small pc as a firewall/router. It has a diagnostic feature where you can graph line quality for both ipv4 and ipv6. I’ve got mine set up at 5 minute graph intervals for latency and packet loss. So you don’t have to be actively looking as it’s graphed over 24 hours. Most of the time the quality is good. Latency 10ms and 0 packet loss over 24 hours. But as of now modem downstream power levels are 1/2 what they were a few days ago and packet losses. Comcast remotely via Twitter says all is good. I had them replace the feeder to the house in February for severe latency like 300ms. Been good for months. Then I noticed more time than usual updating a new Linux install. That’s when I checked the modem and router. Problems such as this over 10+ years have never been local to our network in the home. It’s always been from the house ground tap to upstream Comcast equipment. I’m changing the 3 way splitter to satisfy them since it’s a decade old but don’t expect to see any increase in downstream power levels. Last night the modem switched from the lower 16 bonded channels to the next 16 group. The power level went down by half instantly. That’s on their end. The first group is better than the second group of channels.  Gerald 

Regular Contributor

Is it possible to log into your comcast modem and post here the Download and upload stats?

Such as the correctables and uncorrectables errors in the line.

Silver Problem Solver

@Broomsweeper wrote:

Is it possible to log into your comcast modem and post here the Download and upload stats?

Such as the correctables and uncorrectables errors in the line.

Yes; have you tried?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@gerald46 wrote:

Hi, I’ve had the same issues over the years. I’m using pfSense on a small pc as a firewall/router. It has a diagnostic feature where you can graph line quality for both ipv4 and ipv6. I’ve got mine set up at 5 minute graph intervals for latency and packet loss. So you don’t have to be actively looking as it’s graphed over 24 hours. Most of the time the quality is good. Latency 10ms and 0 packet loss over 24 hours. But as of now modem downstream power levels are 1/2 what they were a few days ago and packet losses. Comcast remotely via Twitter says all is good. I had them replace the feeder to the house in February for severe latency like 300ms. Been good for months. Then I noticed more time than usual updating a new Linux install. That’s when I checked the modem and router. Problems such as this over 10+ years have never been local to our network in the home. It’s always been from the house ground tap to upstream Comcast equipment. I’m changing the 3 way splitter to satisfy them since it’s a decade old but don’t expect to see any increase in downstream power levels. Last night the modem switched from the lower 16 bonded channels to the next 16 group. The power level went down by half instantly. That’s on their end. The first group is better than the second group of channels.  Gerald 

What do the modem's signal stats look like ?  Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Is this a WiFi connection ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi, gerald46! Thank you for posting in our community! Since we haven't received the screenshot of the RF signal levels, I'm going to lock this thread. If you still experience any issues with your internet connection - please feel free to post a new thread and we are always happy to assist! Have a great day!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!