Community Forum

Re: How do I obtain a static ip address from Comcast?

New Poster

I am going to host my own website and I need a static IP address, how can I obtain one from Comcast?

Diamond Problem Solver

Please re-read above.

Link; http://business.comcast.com/internet/index.aspx

Bronze Problem Solver

Move from a 2009 and older thread so reference to above is ambiguous.

There are no Static IP addresses issued for residential accounts. In most cases you can't host a website on a residential account without violating the Acceptable Use Policies.

See: http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/HighSpeedInternetAUP.html

Refer to Technical restrictions, under  I. Prohibited Uses and Activities

"use or run programs from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to
anyone outside of your Premises LAN, except for personal and non-commercial residential use;"

Best course is to upgrade to a business account.

Silver Problem Solver

LoPhatPhuud wrote:

Best course is to upgrade to a business account.

Or use a web hosting service. For a low-use web site, that may be cheaper than a business Internet account.

New Poster

PunkBuster monitors online games. We received a ban because our games were played from two different IP"s. Even though we didn't do any thing wrong. I've had three IP"S today and seven on the sixth and tenth of this month. Anyone know why they do this?

Diamond Problem Solver

Possibly due to maintenance/upgrades on your local system. This should settle down soon. CC basically uses a system of so called "sticky dynamic" IP assignments which typically hold the same IP to a connection for long periods of time.

New Poster

What sucks is most of us who are savvy enough to run web service (with redirects to our other businesses), host our own DNS, and a mail server need a static IP, but would sure like Cable services like On Demand, which is mutually exclusive of a business account.

It was explained that businesses use the TV services in public settings so, On Demand would violate publisher agreements.

Meh.

New Poster

Comcast Blocking Access to LAN IPs from Cable Modem?

In the past, I could access a home camera via port forwarding  of my LAN IP addresses from my local router without the need for a static IP address.  I used a Comcast cable modem until recently since the service was lost for months with Sandy. I recently purchased the Linksys DPC 3008 modem rather than install another rented Comcast modem.

I can no longer access my router from the internet.   I do this on CableVision.  Is Comcast blocking me from using the dynamic IP address  with the software they install in the LinkSys modem?

Is there such a policy to block access?

New Poster

Re: Comcast Blocking Access to LAN IPs from Cable Modem?

Anyone care to comment here?   Shall I contact the FCC ?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Comcast Blocking Access to LAN IPs from Cable Modem?

ed231 wrote:

In the past, I could access a home camera via port forwarding  of my LAN IP addresses from my local router without the need for a static IP address.  I used a Comcast cable modem until recently since the service was lost for months with Sandy. I recently purchased the Linksys DPC 3008 modem rather than install another rented Comcast modem.

I can no longer access my router from the internet.   I do this on CableVision.  Is Comcast blocking me from using the dynamic IP address  with the software they install in the LinkSys modem?

Is there such a policy to block access?

Are you sure there isn't another firewall involved? Are you sure the IP address of the camera hasn't changed?

New Poster

I don't know if this thread is on going but my advice to just go with http://www.noip.com/.

What it is a program that you install on your computer that automatically updates a URL (chosen by you ex. www.mywebsite.com) with the IP address of the computer it is currently running on. So if Comcast was to change your IP it would automatically redirect to the new IP. I use this a lot with various gaming servers like Minecraft. Works great.

New Poster

You have to get the business class service. Or, you could get a static IP from mystaticipaddress.com

Diamond Problem Solver

Two and a half year old thread closed.