Community Forum

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed

Regular Visitor

Comcast tech attempted to install my SB8200 but could not optimize the 1Gpbs service using it.  Had to go with Comcast modem and return the ARRIS to the store. - Additionally, #Xfinity Gigabit not necessarily 1 Gbps so far; highest has been ~788 Mbps / averaging ~560 Mbps   Has anyone else experienced this (San Francisco Bay Area market) -- and...

@Comcast is this shared service, or dedicated as the sales rep informed that it should be?  Sure is performing like a shared service.

Official Employee

leecruz, for our Gigabit customers, they can receive speeds of up to 1 Gig. It sounds like you might have had some issues with the bootfile in the past that might have contributed to some slow speeds you received. I'd like to take a look at your modem to double check. Please send me a private message (Click ComcastKenF and then click Private Message Me) with your account address and full name for assistance.

Regular Visitor

I get about 950Mbps download with a wired connection using a Netgear CM1000 modem. It does drop substantially when I use a wireless connection.

Official Employee

not bad trialcritic. I've taken a look at your modem and your signals look pretty good. I don't see any dropped signals or packet loss. Are you using a separate router? 

New Poster

I had an install of the gigabit internet today. Unfortunately I am only able to get 200mbps wired and around 80mbps over wifi. That is worse than what I had on my older plan. The technician was at our place for 5 hrs, when they finally gave up and left.
Official Employee

Hello @mellowanteater. I can help you with your Gigabit speed issues. I would like to perform diagnostics on your modem and on your area. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist. 

New Poster

I am in a different market but I am having very similar issues.  I average around 200 Mbps on the Gigabit connection.  Highest I've seen was 400 but that was just one time I did the speed test.  I think part of the problem is this Technicolor Cable Gateway.  Seems really lacking in quality.  Also for some reason I have to clone the mac address of my PC to the router in order for the Gateway to give the router an IP.

Official Employee

Hi GamerbyDesign - Could you please check your speeds here? In that case I can see the results as well. The download speed of 200 Mbps is too slow for the Gigabit service. Are you checking your speed via wireless or hardwired connection? 

Regular Contributor

Had my Gigabit service installed a couple of weeks ago.  I ordered it at my local service center and scheduled the install for a couple of days later.  A couple of hours after getting home, I received an E-mail saying that my work order had been completed.  I power-cycled my cable modem (SB8200) and router (Linksys WRT1900ACS).  Speeds were ~189/40.  Went into my router and turned off Prioritization.  Speeds have been 925+ during the day and 850+ in the evening ever since.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Regular Visitor

I’m having the same exact issues.
New Poster

I am having the same issue with my service in Denver.  When the tech came out to install, he was several hours late, he said there was no way to test to make sure I was getting a gig speed.  I get around 200 mb down and 40 mb up.

New Poster

Just got mine installed in Morrison and wired I get up to 900+down 50+up. Wifi is horrible.... getting 50down which is worse than my previous service. I think that space age looking router is a big POJ.
New Poster

hi ComcastKentF

I am unable to send you a PM, so i will try to write in here what type of speeds I'm getting.

first the details:

modem: Arris SB8200 docsis 3.1

wired connection (CAT 7)

plan: gigabit 

I called the lady yesterday and I went from the 150mb to the Gigabit plan..But ever since they upgraded my speed i have tried many speed tests (www.speedtest.net) with results that don't appear to be "gibabit."

The ping is always around 11 or 12 ms

and the speed (yesterday) was around 200/40.  Today it went up to 400/40. I've been doing the speed test pretty often...maybe every 2 hours or so but nothing has changed as of today.

I'm in Jacksonville FL.

Is there anything you could do to see if everything is ok here?

thanks

Regular Visitor

Hi, I'm having the same issue -- getting 200 mbps down/42 mbps up at best. Since this issue started I've been running speed tests frequently and I'd say I'm averaging 100 mbps down/35 mbps up. I've had 3 visits from service techs, the most recent was a tech and his supervisor. After confirming that my signals measured at the modem are within spec and that the modem boot filename contained 'sb8200-gigabit' we tried:

1. Replaced coax cable coming into the house up to the modem. I have no splitters installed and the outdoor wiring and connections were replaced when I moved in last year. We did this because we found a cracked portion while visually inspecting it. Improved noise levels slightly, but no change in speed test results.

2. Checking speeds on 4 different sites (speedof.me, fast.com, speedtest.net, speedtest.xfinity.com) through my modem (SB8200) and router (Netgear R7000) over wifi and ethernet. We then went direct from the modem with a known good CAT6 cable. I've used multiple devices (a surface book laptop, an HP elitebook 850 g2 laptop, comcast tech laptop, etc.)

3. Bypassed my modem and used a comcast speed testing modem.

4. Tried going back to my SB 6183 just to see if it made a difference, I used it in a different state with 350 mbps down service so I know this modem-router combination can exceed 250 mbps. Still 200/43 max.

Sounds like they now believe it is a problem or misconfiguration at the CMTS. Doing a bit of googling it looks like there IS an upgrade that needs to happen in order for the CMTS to support DOCSIS 3.1. This certainly makes sense to me--seeing repeated test results where I get something like 199.9 mbps or 200.1 it sure does seem like my speed is still being capped at some point in the network.

A friend of mine, who lives about 5 miles away, upgraded to the gigabit service the same day I did and was getting ~950 mbps within an hour of calling in to change his service.

The local service techs have been great, and I understand that this is a new service being provided by Comcast but man oh man I have experienced the WORST support over the phone. Having to repeat my entire issue and service history to each person I speak to, rude people in billing just disconnecting me when I ask whether I am going to be billed for the gigabit service even though I'm regularly getting 10% of that on speed tests. Almost every single tech person on the phone has told me different conflicting information.

I had to take off half a day from work and then spend 2 weekend days working with the techs, and have probably spent more than 5 hours on the phone. Absurd.

Regular Visitor

I just had my gigabit speed updgrade done today (also in the bay Area). The first speed test the tech had me do resulted in 10mbps (yes, 10). A couple modem (CM1000) power cycles later and I was getting ~400-500. One test briefly got into the 800's (though it was all over the place during the test). The tech saw that and left. Ever since then I've been lucky to break the 500's. This is on a wired (cat 6) connection to a 2016 Macbook Pro. Do I get half off my bill since I'm only getting half the speed? :\

Contributor

themariner wrote:

I just had my gigabit speed updgrade done today (also in the bay Area). The first speed test the tech had me do resulted in 10mbps (yes, 10). A couple modem (CM1000) power cycles later and I was getting ~400-500. One test briefly got into the 800's (though it was all over the place during the test). The tech saw that and left. Ever since then I've been lucky to break the 500's. This is on a wired (cat 6) connection to a 2016 Macbook Pro. Do I get half off my bill since I'm only getting half the speed? :\

Is this through a router or directly through modem?

Background programs affect download bandwidth .... try disabling any anti-virus/firewall program and try again ... plus try with the site ... http://beta.speedtest.net/ ... it's more accurate than xfinity speedtest .......

Frequent Visitor

I have Xfinity Gigabit Internet and I just got an Arris 8200 and I use an Apple Airport Extreme as my router.  When I am hardwired, I get around 900-950 mbps. But on wireless I only get about 375-390 mbps.  No one at Comcast can give me an answer. I even swapped out the router for a new one and STILL get those slow wireless speeds.  Can ANYONE give me a reason why this is?  I mean, I don't expect 800-900 mbps wireless speeds, but shouldn't it be close to 600-700 mbps?  So frustrating!  HELP!

Expert

jmm1006 wrote:

I have Xfinity Gigabit Internet and I just got an Arris 8200 and I use an Apple Airport Extreme as my router.  When I am hardwired, I get around 900-950 mbps. But on wireless I only get about 375-390 mbps.  No one at Comcast can give me an answer. I even swapped out the router for a new one and STILL get those slow wireless speeds.  Can ANYONE give me a reason why this is?  I mean, I don't expect 800-900 mbps wireless speeds, but shouldn't it be close to 600-700 mbps?  So frustrating!  HELP!

Start here: 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

Just FYI, that's about the speed I get when I run a speed test on my iPhone,  and from the HTPC in my bedroom which has a USB 3 Wireless AC adapter (both of which are dual band only), and I have Gigabit service with a new TG3482 gateway, everything as optimized as possible. .

You're likely just hitting the limits of your wireless bandwidth, probably with the computer you mentioned. 

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
Frequent Visitor

But I don't understand how I would be hitting the limits.  My computer, by the way, is a 2015 MacBook Pro Retina with all the bells and whistles.

I even swapped out the router and tried a brand new one and still getting those speeds.  In fact, those speeds are SLOWER than I was getting on EXTREME PRO (400 mbps).  It just isn't making sense to me.

I was on the phone with Apple for 90 minutes tweaking my settings on the Airport Extreme.  Anything I can think of to improve the speed.  Like I said, I was STILL getting the same speeds with a brand new router, so it MUST be on Comcast's end.

Expert

I doubt it would be on Comcast's end, because you're approaching the gigabit speed using Ethernet. The thoroughput is there, and you're using your own modem and router.

What generation Airport Extreme do you have? 

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
Frequent Visitor

The reason I think it would be on Comcast's end is because I brought a brand new router (NETGEAR) that should give me close to 1000 mbps even wireless (700-800).  Even that router gave me LESS than Extreme Pro did.

I have the 6th Generation Airport Extreme.

Diamond Problem Solver

jmm1006 wrote:

The reason I think it would be on Comcast's end is because I brought a brand new router (NETGEAR) that should give me close to 1000 mbps even wireless (700-800).  Even that router gave me LESS than Extreme Pro did.

I have the 6th Generation Airport Extreme.

It can't be on Comcast's end if you are getting that much speed with a hardwired connection.

Bottom line. What do you get when your are connected directly to the modem (no router in the mix) ?

Expert

I had that same router too.

Just to clarify, what wireless speeds were you getting with your previous setup? You said you had Extreme 400 with a Gen 6 Airport Extreme, and a 2015 MaBook Pro Retina  (I have a 2015 iMac Retina), and you were getting >390 Mbps? 

Frequent Visitor

Last time I did directly into modem, I didn't get any internet connection at all.  However, I feel I should have rebooted it.

And yes, while I am getting the speeds as high as ~900 mbps while wired, regardless of the router I am not even getting HALF of that and I am getting LESS than I was getting on a lower tier.

So, that is why I am trying to figure out where the breakdown is.

Frequent Visitor

Oh, and when I was on the EXTREME PRO tier, I was getting MAX speeds of around 409 mbps on both wireless AND wired.

That is why I am so confised and angry.

Diamond Problem Solver

jmm1006 wrote:

Last time I did directly into modem, I didn't get any internet connection at all.  However, I feel I should have rebooted it.

Yes. You must powercycle the modem each and every time that you change the device that is being connected to it.

Expert

The theoretical limits of your wireless network is 1.3 Gbps. (450 Gbps on the 2.4 Ghz band + 900 Gbps on the 5 Ghz band. )
Emphasis on the word, "theoretical". Lots of things can and will affect your real world speed.

(Just saw that EG is here, he can tell you better than I can).

Frequent Visitor

I forgot to powercycle when it was directly into modem.

But again that STILL doesn't explain why my speeds are LESS on wireless on a higher speed tier.

And like I said, I even swapped out the router to see if it was my Airport Extreme (It clearly isn't).

Furthermore, I don't want to rent a gateway from Comcast, and even if I wanted one, they would have to order it and have to ship it to me as none of the Xfinty stores have it. (But that isn't the point here).

Regular Visitor

This is directly (hardwired) though the modem on a fresh reboot of both the modem and computer. I've been doing speed tests through Ookla too with about the same results, but Comcast preferes xfinity's speed test when troubleshooting connection/speed issues.

New Poster

I'm please to see you're Mac Savy. Need to side my infome newtork devices to take benefit of my new 27" IMac.

Last Friday we signed up for XFINITY (COMAST) preferred package to start 10/13/17. Went with Xfinity Double Play Blast package, offering Internet speed 75Mbps and suggested ARRIS SB6190 Cable Modem connect with download speed up to 644 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 (32 down x 8 up) IPV6. TV portion of the X1 Double Play Preferred package 220+ Channels, including STARS and On Demand with 2 DVRs (4 Record/1play)
I'm hoping to use the recommended SB6190 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-white/4600801.p?skuId=4600801) with Ethernet connect with my 2009 Airport Express (802.11n) Wifi to support an inhome network for printr, IPad, Apple TV and 2 IPhones. Suspect the Express devise will slow performance. Can I replace the Airport Extreme with an AirPort Express Base Station (MC414ll/A)? Your thoughts? I plan to visit the local xfinity office tomorrow to see if they can provide more clarity on what "the Villages connect will offer. Regards ...
The article on the cable modem says, "Some people like to have their modem include a WiFi Router. That could be a bad idea if the 802.11ax WiFi standard emerges next year (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/qualcomms-new-802-11ax-wi-fi-chips-will-reduce-congestion-on...). Hoping the SB6190 could be firmware upgraded to the DOCSIS 3.1 Standard COMCAST intends to implement by years end (but not likely in The Villages since GigE will come to the big cities (Orlando, Tampa, Miami and Jacksonville) first.

Expert

jmm1006 wrote:

Oh, and when I was on the EXTREME PRO tier, I was getting MAX speeds of around 409 mbps on both wireless AND wired.

That is why I am so confised and angry.

That's not much of a difference between your newer speeds (350-390) and the older one (409). Assuming nothing else has changed in your house (no new devices like cordless phones or Bluetooth speakers near each node) you could try moving your Arris 8200 farther away from the router, as it could be causing EM interference. 

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Your current speeds are exactly what I'm getting with my wireless devices on my network, and I'm using the Comcast gateway, but if you're not willing to use the full bandwidth by going Ethernet, and you're not happy with your setup, then you shouldn't be paying for service you find unsatisfactory and downgrade to your previous package. 

Expert

MT999 wrote:

I'm please to see you're Mac Savy. Need to side my infome newtork devices to take benefit of my new 27" IMac.

Last Friday we signed up for XFINITY (COMAST) preferred package to start 10/13/17. Went with Xfinity Double Play Blast package, offering Internet speed 75Mbps and suggested ARRIS SB6190 Cable Modem connect with download speed up to 644 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 (32 down x 8 up) IPV6. TV portion of the X1 Double Play Preferred package 220+ Channels, including STARS and On Demand with 2 DVRs (4 Record/1play)
I'm hoping to use the recommended SB6190 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-white/4600801.p?skuId=4600801) with Ethernet connect with my 2009 Airport Express (802.11n) Wifi to support an inhome network for printr, IPad, Apple TV and 2 IPhones. Suspect the Express devise will slow performance. Can I replace the Airport Extreme with an AirPort Express Base Station (MC414ll/A)? Your thoughts? I plan to visit the local xfinity office tomorrow to see if they can provide more clarity on what "the Villages connect will offer. Regards ...
The article on the cable modem says, "Some people like to have their modem include a WiFi Router. That could be a bad idea if the 802.11ax WiFi standard emerges next year (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/qualcomms-new-802-11ax-wi-fi-chips-will-reduce-congestion-on...). Hoping the SB6190 could be firmware upgraded to the DOCSIS 3.1 Standard COMCAST intends to implement by years end (but not likely in The Villages since GigE will come to the big cities (Orlando, Tampa, Miami and Jacksonville) first.

Unless you're plannig to use that Airport Express as an AirPlay /AirTunes device connected to a receiver or speakers, you're better off getting a newer router, since the Express only has 10/100 Ethernet as well as Wireless-N. and I suspect those iOS devices are using the newer , Wireless-AC standard. 

As far as DOCSIS 3.1, that will require completely different hardware than the SB 6190 has. If you're planning to upgrade to Gigabit at some point, you're better off buying a DOCSIS 3.1 modem instead. (The Arris 8200 or Netgear CM1000, for instance). 

If you're sticking with 75 Mbps download speeds, the SB6190 will serve your needs very well. 

Bottom line? Buy the best you can afford that serves your needs now. Smiley Happy

Diamond Problem Solver

There is a very good reason NOT to purchase the 6190 !! There are well known issues with its Puma 6 chipset and firmware problems. Info here;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mis...

And it will never be DOCSIS 3.1 capable due to *hardware* constraints, *not firmware*.

Frequent Visitor

Nothing has changed at all.  The same amount of devices are connected to the network.  Literally all I did was upgrade my internet tier from EXTREME PRO to GIGABIT which is why getting LESS SPEEDS from a HIGHER TIER makes absolutely ZERO sense.

HELP!!

Diamond Problem Solver