Community Forum

Re: Gigabit Internet Speed

Contributor

Just had gig service installed at my house.  I'm not really impressed.  

I haven't seen anything over 500mbps and it usually tests at about 350mbps.  I've tried both ipv4, ipv6 and multiple test locations and get pretty much the same result.

When the tech was testing it, we saw 450mbps and he commented that sometimes it takes 24 hours to reach full speed (not sure why).  But it's now 24 hours later and I have the same result.

Frequent Visitor

Are you testing hard-wired in? It sounds like (based on your description) you’re talking wireless. Your wireless speeds won’t hit gig as there aren’t gigabit wireless standards out there yet, really. I believe 500M is about the max wireless does.

I just got mine activated the other day and my wireless speeds are hitting 500M (preciously were hitting around 300M or less), but my Apple TV 4K that’s hard-wired is hitting 995M regularly.

Make sure you understand the tech and have proper expectations. Gigabit speeds will only show directly on devices that are hard-wired in with gigabit adapters/plugs (10/100/1000) on all connection points (modem, router, switch, device). Your wireless may see a boost to about 500 (assuming you weren’t hitting that before, which if you had the 400M service, you may have been approaching).

Regular Contributor

Your wireless sounds correct. Hardwired though should be close to 1gb which I still don’t come close. I do meet the criteria for 1gb on all my devices. 3 tech visits later and still no answer/fix
Contributor

I'm hardwired directly into the xb6 modem (Technicolor CGM4140COM modem) and still only get 400mbps.  

Frequent Visitor

How long after you order an upgrade from 300 to gigabit online does it propogate?  I may have missed the information when signing up and the email confirmation doesn't state it.  

Frequent Visitor

Then one (or any combination) of two factors could be coming into play:

1) Your gigabit service isn’t provisioned yet. Although, if you’ve spoken to techs then this should have been identified and resolved. You may want to call/chat just to make sure it’s activated.

2) Your cabling to the house might not be gigabit ready or there may be an interfering factor in the line, and you might have to have a tech come out to check.

There could be something else, but these are the two things that immediately jump to mind.

Contributor

I have a relatively new cable to the house (orange underground coax through a conduit), it was re-installed about 3 years ago after other issues I was having.  It's about a 200ft run to the connection on the pole with a break half way through at the box at the curb.  

I would suspect something changed as far as provisioning since I had 250Mbps and would regularly get 270mbps on the test, now I am definitely getting faster than that, but not close to the advertised 1gbps.

I tried a "live chat", got to the point where he reset/re-synced my modem, and when the modem came back online the chat session ended.  I don't even know why I bother to live chat, it's always a waste of time.  Will need to call from my cell phone.

Problem Solver

@Kaytu wrote:

I'm hardwired directly into the xb6 modem (Technicolor CGM4140COM modem) and still only get 400mbps.  

I got Gigabit speeds (Ok, 970 but still)  IMMEDIATELY after installation.  The two reasons that 

Contributor

Yea, he was a contractor, and came with another guy who was outside.  He also mentioned he was the Ops Manager, which I would think he would want to go through all the troubleshooting steps to pass along issues to his team.  But yes, I would say he just wanted to get in and out and leave the hard work to the Comcast techs.

Expert

I've severed this from the main thread so the issue can get the support it needs even though there's a lot of good ideas on this thread.

Just note that if the upload speeds are 35Mbps or faster, it's not a provisioning issue with the modem. 

@Kaytu, if you're interested in technical support, please refer to the Troubleshooting thread for tips, and if you still can't isolate the problem, come back with the information requested in this post

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I am running Windows 10 and am hardwired directly into the modem with a 2 ft cat5e cable (swapped the cable just to be sure).  All coaxial cable connections in the house were re-done in the past 2 years to fix issues I was having with X1 cable and tiling on certain channels.

I attached a few screenshots of the logs from the web UI.

Thanks for any assistance!

Contributor

Not that I need  1 gig service, but it was sold to me as a package and as a way to keep me as a customer.  Since they offered the product, they need to fulfill their offering.  It's no different than ordering and paying for a dozen donuts and only getting 6; their product is their service.

Regular Contributor

I completely agree
Official Employee

Hello all,

Before I address issues with the Gigabit service I just want to let everybody in this thread know that I'm a customer too and I want to be honest with our customers. Per my personal experience, the gigabit service is very tricky. The issues with the speed can be caused by various reasons but keep in mind that people will post more about the issues they have vs. the positive experience. I personally had situations where issue was resolved by a different cable, computer, modem, settings as well as I also had cases where issue was resolved by a field tech or local tech ops team. Each case is individual and you definitely supposed to get a service you are paying for.

@Kaytu - I would be happy to check your service and see if we can can identify the cause. Please send me a private message with your full name.  Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.

@RDarcy - I saw your message and I will reply back in a second. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Testing the speed today, now I'm only getting 130mbps!  (Tried multiple different servers)  Before the "upgrade" on Saturday, I was paying for 250mbps and was pretty consistently getting 260-270mbps.

Upload speeds are still mid-30's (occasionally hitting 40mbps)

@ComcastElla is this being looked at, or am I supposed to call for service?

capture6.JPG
capture7.JPG
Official Employee

@Kaytu - Thank you for sending your information. I received your message and I will review it as soon as I get to it.

Our community team supports several platforms and we assist our customers on a first come, first served basis. Our platform is different from others. We don't get an immediate pop up message when customers reply back, it's not like a chat environment. If we don't reply right away, that doesn't mean that we ignored your message, we are assisting other customers at that moment. Plus we have different schedules and days off. Thank you for understanding! 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

@ComcastElla wrote:

@Kaytu - Thank you for sending your information. I received your message and I will review it as soon as I get to it.

Our community team supports several platforms and we assist our customers on a first come, first served basis. Our platform is different from others. We don't get an immediate pop up message when customers reply back, it's not like a chat environment. If we don't reply right away, that doesn't mean that we ignored your message, we are assisting other customers at that moment. Plus we have different schedules and days off. Thank you for understanding! 

Sorry you have to work on a holiday ComcastElla.   I know we all appreciate your attentiveness to everyone in the group.  

Official Employee

@AlanD - Thank you a lot!  It's not a problem at all and we have a choice to choose which holidays we want to work. I explained the situation with the replies because I know that a decent amount of customers had a bad experience before and it's really hard to trust that we will reply back. But just because our platform is different from others - we can't always assist right away. Just for example, when I signed in to my system today I had 30 messages. That's mean 30 different customers reached out to me and they all need help or assistance. 

Have a wonderful holiday!

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastElla thank you for your help getting gigabit set up on my account. Loving it so far!

Official Employee

@mjharwoodaz - Thank you! Please don't ever hesitate to reach me Smiley Happy

Regular Visitor

Can confirm similar results. I had their XB6 modem which was great and all, but I like being in full control and not paying to lease equipment. That being said I purchased a CM1000 Netgear and everything is setup great. I also have a router, the Nighthawk x10. Wired I see consistent speeds of 900-950mbps. Nothing more. Which is kind of a disapointment considering I pay for 1Gbps. 

Wireless on the other hand I only see 550-650mbps. I definetly wish the wireless speeds were closer to 800mbps, 900mbps, etc. 

Contributor

In addition to my speeds being even slower today (and getting slower as the day progresses, last speed tests are showing 100-110mbps d/l and 40 +/- u/l), I'm also hearing a horrible delay in my Xfinity phone.  I speak, and can hear my echo a half second later.

I'm a fan of owning my own equipment, but if Comcast can't get it's own equipment to work with their service (which is provided in the plan), I shouldn't have to go out and experiment with a Netgear modem at my expense to possibly get the same result.

Frequent Visitor

@ggearhart wrote:

Can confirm similar results. I had their XB6 modem which was great and all, but I like being in full control and not paying to lease equipment. That being said I purchased a CM1000 Netgear and everything is setup great. I also have a router, the Nighthawk x10. Wired I see consistent speeds of 900-950mbps. Nothing more. Which is kind of a disapointment considering I pay for 1Gbps. 

Wireless on the other hand I only see 550-650mbps. I definetly wish the wireless speeds were closer to 800mbps, 900mbps, etc. 

I got the same modem. Really happy with it. As for router, I’m using the TP-Link Archer AC5400.

Seeing 950+ on wired speeds. Wasn’t expecting to hit full 1G given real world conditions, but I suppose not everyone takes these things into account.

Not going to complain about wireless speeds either, given technical limitations on today’s devices. Hitting 500+ regularly which is a big improvement, and again real world conditions need to be taken into consideration.

Problem Solver

@ggearhart wrote:

I've been a member of the Gigabit club ever since its inception.  No one gets a higher speed than 950 Mb. consistantly unless you've ordered Gigabit Pro which requires fiber being wired directly to your house and alot more bucks.  If someone told you that you were going to get a full 1 gig consistantly they were mistaken.  I think most of us are pretty happy with the 950 Mb. wired speed.  And the 550 Mb to 600  wireless speeds usually are limited by your equipment.  

Regular Visitor

Definetly happy with the wired speed. Now you say wireless is limited by my equipment? Do you mean my Nighthawk x10 (best router in the market) or my computer? Which is an ASUS GR8 II. 

i7 Processor

32 GB RAM (upgraded from 16) 

512GB SSD

Windows 10 Pro. 

GTX 1060 6GB

Thanks.

Problem Solver

@ggearhart wrote:

Definetly happy with the wired speed. Now you say wireless is limited by my equipment? Do you mean my Nighthawk x10 (best router in the market) or my computer? Which is an ASUS GR8 II. 

i7 Processor

32 GB RAM (upgraded from 16) 

512GB SSD

Windows 10 Pro. 

GTX 1060 6GB

Thanks.

Your router and equipment are fine.  I've used that same Nightwalk router myself.   If you're getting those wireless speeds you're pretty much at maximum wireless speeds with this technology.  (I've never heard of any Gigabit customer getting anything much faster than a 600 Mb. download via wi-fi.  If anyone is achieving faster speeds I hope they jump in here and tell us).  By my post I just meant that with different devices I've seen wireless maximums all over the place, whereas Ethernet connected customers should usually be getting 950 Mb. download speeds with modern devices.  

Highlighted
Contributor

The limitation referred to is not your router or the pc itself, in your case with the X10 router the slowest piece in the chain is most likely the wireless adapter, although you did not identify your specific hardware the GR8 typically comes with the Intel  dual band ac with an advertised speed up to 867mbs. If you are consistently achieving 500mbps or better wirelessly that is probably reasonable. 

Contributor

The tech was just here.  He said from the installs he's done, my 400mbps is one of the faster "gig" speeds he's seen.  He says the infrastructure isn't upgraded enough to handle the speed, but he doesn't have the right tools to see exactly why my speed is so limited.

He recommended to have Comcast either send a bucket truck to look at the signal in the coax wires on the street or have someone look at the back end networking configuration.  Since everything as far as wiring in the house looks good, he can't make either of the referrals.

He felt bad that he didn't have any answers for me and said his best troubleshooting tool is literally the Xfinity speed test.

@ComcastElla, what can you recommend for the next step?

Official Employee

@Kaytu - If there are any issues with the infrastructure, those issues have to be addressed by a field tech. Only local field techs can request a bucket truck or a line tech. Unfortunately, we don't have an access to do that. However, I checked your recent speed test results and I see you got 500 Mbps.  Your speed test results for the past 2 days are higher than before. Did you change anything? Also, how is your phone service?

Contributor

@ComcastElla, yes, speed test is better than last Monday, but nowhere near a gig.  I was sold a package with a gig (I understand 940mbps is the norm)  and I'm at half that.  What is the next step for troubleshooting?  The tech that came said there is nothing more he can do, but as a customer, that's not an acceptable resolution. 

Again, I refer to the donut analogy.  Comcast's product is its service, and I'm paying for a dozen donuts and getting 6.   I believe It shows 2 gig service is available in my area.  What happens if I opt for that, do I still only get 500?

Also, phone service seems fine now.

Official Employee

@Kaytu - Per my understanding, the field tech just swapped the modem, correct? In this particular thread, you can see that there are a lot of customers who are getting the advertised speed. If nothing has been changed except the modem and you are getting the higher speed, I would suggest to try a different ethernet cable; make sure that you only connect one PC/laptop (via ethernet) and turn off all wireless devices; try a different server; try https://fast.com and see what results you will get there. 

The Gigabit Pro is a way different service. It is a fiber-to-the-home residential Xfinity Internet service that delivers download and upload speeds of up to 2 Gbps to customer homes. It requires an on-site survey to determine if a customer is eligible or not. 

As I already mentioned before, most of the time, the issue with the Gigabit speed is caused by the equipment itself. 

Glad to hear that your phone service works fine now. 

Contributor

@ComcastElla, modem was not swapped.  Tech did nothing but an xfinity speed test and said as far as he is able to see, my speed appears to be limited by the lines on the street or something on the back end that he does not have access to.

Official Employee

@Kaytu - Basically, the field technician didn't do anything except checking the speed via the website, however, somehow he was able to determine that speed is limited by the lines on the street but he didn't escalate it to the local line techs? As I mentioned before, only field techs have an access to escalate these types of issues. I'm not sure if the field tech was not aware of the escalation process but if there any issues in the area they have to be addressed. In the meantime, I still suggest you try the steps I mentioned above. 

Contributor

@ComcastElla wrote:

@Kaytu - Basically, the field technician didn't do anything except checking the speed via the website, however, somehow he was able to determine that speed is limited by the lines on the street but he didn't escalate it to the local line techs? 

@ComcastElla, so you are basically calling me a liar? 

To reacp:

I had a tech arrive at my home.  Not an actual Comcast tech, but a contractor.  (He was a nice guy).

He came in with a device under his arm (not sure what it is) and asked what the problem is.  I explained that I am now paying (and have a 24 month agreement) for 1gig service and struggle to get 400mbps on speedtest.xfinity.com.  I explained that on Monday 9/10, the speed was particularly slow and struggled to hit 120mbps and I was having phone latency issues.  I never had a problem when I had 250mbps service and always exceeded it

The tech asked me to pull up speedtest.xfinity.com and run a test on a few different sites.  Each time, I ended up with <500mbps.  The tech told me I should be lucky since that is one of the afster speeds he has seen with 1gig service and, in his opinion, my speed is limited by the fact that the lines on the pole are coaxial and not fiber optic.  

He told me I should contact the person I was dealing with and tell them that there is nothing further he can do with the tools he has available to him and the fix may require a bucket truck to look further into the lines on the pole or someone who can look at the "back end" of the networking.  

He seemed frusterated that Comcast is selling this speed of service since they are not able to reliably provide it in many of the cases he has seen.

I am hardwired with a Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 7 desktop (both i7s with SSDs and 16gb of RAM and fully tuned up.  I am a systems administrator and do most of that for a living).

I have tried different cat5e and cat6 ethernet cables on both devices and get similar results of 400-500mbps each time and on each xfinity.speedtest.com server.

Testing on fast.com will occasionally give me 600mbps, but I call <Edited. Language> since I have seen most users chiming in with 1gig service showing 940mbps on xfinity and 1.2gbps on fast.com (roughly 2x my speed).

You had been very responsive to my posts throughout, but questioning my statements regarding what your contractor tech did and said is very insulting.

I'm not going to yell and scream at a tech who says he cannot fix something, nor am I going to tell him how to proceed with his troubleshooting steps or escalation process.  All I can do is report what happened since that is what he recommended I do.

Official Employee

@Kaytu - Please follow our forum guidelines and don't use an offensive language. We ask to stay away from using the offensive language because it's not respectful to other users. Thank you for understanding. 

I had never said that I don't believe what you were saying, my point was clear - I don't think that the field technician did what he was supposed to. It could be because he is not familiar with the issue. Checking the speed with the customer on the customer's owned equipment is not enough. Saying that there are known issues in the area but not escalating it is not enough as well. 

I'm always honest with the customers who reached out to me. If there are any issues in the area, I'd say that. I don't see any issues in your area, however, if the field technician mentioned any problems - they have to be addressed. Each market has a specific escalation process and with the results of your last visit - I can't further proceed. I'm providing you this information so you are aware that the field technician should provide more troubleshooting steps. Not because I'm trying to say that you did something wrong, you have been very cooperative and I greatly appreciate it. 

Contributor

@ComcastElla, please show me where I used offensive language.  

YOU questioned my description of my service visit that I spelled out; to me, THAT was offensive.  I'm sorry that the tech did not follow the proper procedure and protocol, but that isn't my problem.  I'm asking you how to escalate my issue and you keep telling me the tech didn't do his job correctly.  Maybe he didn't, but that's not my call.  In the end, I'm the customer and my issue still isn't resolved.

I can contact Executive Customer Service, but it appeared as though you wanted to see the issue to a satisfactory conclusion.  If you are unable or unwilling to assist further, please say so and I can move on.  

Official Employee

@Kaytu - I edited the offensive language in your response. I had never said that it was your fault at any sense. I'm a human being as well as you are and as I mentioned in my previous comment, I provided you the information regarding the tech so next time you will know that more troubleshooting steps should be performed. That's all that I did it for. 

If you would like to contact the Executive Customer Service - please do. The more help we get, the faster we will resolve your issue. The Executive Support will contact the local tech ops team and they will probably send a senior technician. In that case, you will know how he/she should proceed.