Community Forum

Re: Getting redirected to Comcast activation page

New Poster

This is happening to me, too!  I just swapped out the modem because they kept calling and sending letters to uograde.  I finally did it and now I get kicked to the activate account page almost daily!  This is insane. 

If I log in to account, it comes back on.  Internet is slower than ever. Not happy.  Looking for other companies since comcast did this intentionally and denies it's even an issue...from the hundreds of threads I've seen about this so far.  

Diamond Problem Solver

Call 1-800- comcast and try asking the rep to *roll and re-provision* the modem, and to confirm that the provisioning and your account data in their database is correct and complete.

New Poster

all you have to do is update your home page to an HTTPS site.  comcast changes it to http (unsecured) to cause the redirect or "hijack" our login.

go to: Tools/Internet Options/General

and set the address as i stated. 

example;

change http://www.google.com/ to https://www.google.com/

this will solve the issue. 

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, if it is being caused by the deliberate DNS based re-direction to the "Walled Garden" modem self activation page, then the above suggestion will not work. This Walled Garden page appears because the system thinks that the modem is not provisioned and it's typically due to the customers information in the database being incorrect and / or incomplete.

New Poster

In my case, after a service upgrade, only one specific URL (a page I visit quite often) is being redirected to the activation page, on all my devices. All other URLs work fine, I can go anywhere on the web, except that one place.

How do I reset that?

Thanks

New Poster

Never mind, I figured out that clearing history, cache and cookies in any browser that had been redirected to the activation bapge seems to fix the problem. 

This is a bug that should be fixed, though.

New Poster

Agree with THEWALL71,  "all you have to do is update your home page to an HTTPS site.  comcast changes it to http (unsecured) to cause the redirect or "hijack" our login".   Did that and the problem was solved.

Prior than that,  I had the following problem and fix attempt:

Installed new combo modem/wi-fi router on 10-24-15.   Install appeared to go OK.   All my wi-fi connections worked fine.  One ethernet connected PC worked fine.  2nd ethernet PC (acutally laptop) that was used to do the activation via comcast.com/activation worked OK except,  every time I open my browser (default was google.com) I got redirected to comcast.com\activation.  The initial activation was done via Explorer 11.   So I opened Chrome.  Same problem occurred on Chrome.   Deleted cookies and history for both Explorer & Chrome... same problem... continued to be redirected to comcast.com\activation.

I could change to Yahoo.com or even google.com/maps and it would be OK.   But could not go to google.com without redirect.

Figured it might be DNS related.  FlushedDNS.  Did not fix problem

Next,  thought it might be related to the IP or DNS I was getting via DHCP from the new xfinity modem/router.   So took the laptop to work and attached ethernet to completely different DHCP network (Verizon) with different IP and DNS.  Opened browser to google.com and still got redirect to comcast.com\activation.

Called comcast support and had them go through all the same repetitive stuff everyone else complained about,  even went through another router reset and reboot of all my PCs  (note:  I was a good patient and did all the stuff they told me without complaining).... support person very nice but I don't think she really believed me when I told her what was happening... finally she said give it 24 hours and problem will go away.   24 hours later... still had problem.

Finally found this forum and THEWALL71's (10-8-15) solution...  IT WORKED!!!

New Poster

I'm having the same problem as well.

There are three specific bookmarked websites that keep redirecting to the modem activation site - they were the three sites I kept trying to reach when the new modem was resetting. 

I found the "https://" trick only worked for one of the sites, the other sites just say that the server is unable to be reached. 

I also found that the sites can be reached when opening them in a private window.

Edit: Clearing the history, cache and cookies from the past 24 hours did the trick.

New Poster

Had this happen twice to me recently.  The first time, after a while of trying to figure it out, I finally solved it by deleting temp files and cookies and website data.  The second time this did not work and after a while I finally figured out that I also had to unselect "preserve favorites website data" on internet explorer.  Only weird thing is that when I open a new tab in my browser, for a brief moment, before it reaches the default homepage (the one that initially got redirected), the tab label shows "comcast activation" before continuing on to my homepage.

New Poster

I was having this trouble while accessing Xfinity Internet from Safari. Steps:

a) Comcast reset my password on the belief that my account got buggered up.
b) I also had to log out of the Xfinity app on my IPhone.
c) I also had to delete my email account specification and re-add it. With all of this, the problem was resolved.
New Poster

Clearing the cache and browsing history solves this but I get this error after sometime and I need to frequently clear chrome history. Not sure what is going on. I thought for a while this could be problem in broswer but not sure it might be on Comcast end as well. Anyway, comcast has no idea of this issue and all they are gonna do is refresh the modem which temporariliy fix the issue

Diamond Problem Solver

Have you asked the rep to do specifically the things suggested in message number 2 earlier in this thread ? A simple "refresh" / remote powercycle is not enough.

New Poster

This worked for me, thanks!