Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Re: Dynamic DNS

New Poster

Comcast is blocking the ability to change DNS entries even on customer owned devices. At least on the Arris Surfboard SVG2482AC. I bought one and in the same situations and am NOT happy about it.

Authorized Vendor

I will look into this, I do believe this should work..  I am on vacation next week but I will email people on this..  Feel free to keep me honest here and ping me..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Authorized Vendor

Just an FYI I have a ticket in place to get this corrected...  The end user should have access to change the DNS server on the retail unit..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Frequent Visitor

Same with me.  I can not set the DNS servers to be used on a ARRIS SVG2482AC that I just purchased in  March 2018.

I do not want to be forced to use COMCAST DNS servers where I have better ones that I want to use.

Problem Solver

In the meantime as a workaround just change the DNS settings on the client connected to the 2482.
Frequent Visitor

I know I could do DNS by manually setting it on each client, but that defeats the whole purpose of pushing the DNS server names down through DHCP.

In my case, I have Many client devices (around 100 devices) on my home network.  I have the 400 Mbps plan for my Smart House.

So doing DNS manually is a messy idea for our IT environment.  Just would like Xfinity / ARRIS to enable the DNS setting capability that is in the ARRIS firmware code, but its disabled.  See screen capture below of what the DNS setting should look like....

side-by-side-ARRIS.jpg