Community Forum

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem Replacement

New Poster

So if I have an existing arris Docsis 3.0 modem and I wanted to get faster internet I could KEEP my existing modem for the voice component for Xfinity and just get a docsis 3.1 modem to be used for internet only?  How would I plug them in to each other to configure that?

thanks

Silver Problem Solver

@Rfgray11 wrote:

So if I have an existing arris Docsis 3.0 modem and I wanted to get faster internet I could KEEP my existing modem for the voice component for Xfinity and just get a docsis 3.1 modem to be used for internet only?  How would I plug them in to each other to configure that?

thanks

When I upgraded to Gigabit, I replaced my XB3 3.0 modem with an XB6 3.1 modem and everything is working great now.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thank you for the answer. I was not really asking if it worked but how do you hook two different modems together? I have an existing Artis docsis 3.0 modem that I use for both Voice and Internet. Instead of buying a new expensive doc sis 3.1 modem that does both I want to keep my current docs is 3.0 modem for Voice only and add a docsid3.1 modem for increase Internet speed only and NOT voice(Since I have that already taken care of with my old docsis 3.0 modem
Diamond Problem Solver

@Rfgray11
To add a second modem (assuming in the same location of your house), you’ll need a 2 way splitter and 2 short pieces of cable (you may be able to get both at your local service center). Take the cable off your present modem, put it to the input of the 2 way splitter, and on the outputs of the splitter, each cable goes to each modem

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Ok. Thx
Expert

Then you have to let customer service know that you want to specifically have that one modem provisioned for voice service only, and the other for data service.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Then you have to let customer service know that you want to specifically have that one modem provisioned for voice service only, and the other for data service.

Rfgray11, I can help with that! Just send me a private message with your full name when you're ready. If you click my name, you'll see a link to send a private message on the next page Smiley Happy

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!