Community Forum

Re: Arris TG3482G modem periodically losing connection to the internet

New Poster

I have the exact issue. Just upgraded from 250Mbps to the gig service. About an hour after the tech left, immediately had issues. My previous setup, was a Netgear CM600 modem connected to an Apple Airport Extreme (latest gen). Had them for about 7/8 months. Never so much as a hiccup. It ran flawlessly.

Tech came out, said I was few dbs high and he corrected it by replacing a 3-way splitter outside with a 2-way (since the 3rd output was not used). Within an hour of him leaving, all traffic stopped, wired and wireless. The web admin interface at 10.0.0.1 was not loading, nothing. I power cycled the unit, it came back up. It drops traffic randomly throughout the day, usually within an hour or so.

Tried putting into bridge mode and having my Apple airport run the routing etc. However this did nothing. The modem still stops responding. The admin interface sometimes loads, but it will be missing images, CSS styling etc. It is like the OS running the modem is crashing. I called, they reprovisioned it etc. however it has done no good. I have tech coming in the morning to replace it.

I've seen on dslreports as well as reddit, numerous other users complaining of the same behavious, so it seems this device simply is not stable, but then again, it is an Arris device. Bottom of the barrel equipment as far as I am concerned. If I cannot get this stable, I will be downgrading back to my original setup / speed as I work from home, so decent stability is an absolute.

New Poster

Did you ever get this fixed ?  

I am currently experiencing the same issues.   I think COMCAST may have rolled out with the Gigabit service too soon.   And the network can't handle it.   I am currently 3 months into having the Gigabit service.   I have had Comcast run new wires from the street to my house and from the box / beginning of my house to the where the router is located.   When the service works its great.   But the service is faulty all the time.   I don't want to downgrade, but this is now getting to be riduculous.  

Anyways wanted to see if you were able to get this fixed, if so let me know.  Thanks!!  

The pictures that I have attached are me pinging google.com    the pings are all over the place and then just drop out completly.   Frankly this is <edited for violating forum guidelines: "Language">, and for the amount that I am paying for Gigabit service this should not be happening.   

GooglePINGcapture.PNGGooglePINGcapture2.PNG

Regular Visitor

Yeah, I never got it sorted, but it's been mostly okay for going on 4 days now, which is the longest stretch it's gone so far. Admittedly I've been pretty lazy in trying to resolve it too (and I've been out of town).

Frequent Visitor

I am getting this problem with the same device.  I'd be very interested in any further resolution.

Contributor

I opened a new thread about this the other day... Check this out and see if this is exactly whats happeneing to you: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Xfinity-XB6-Arris-TG3482G-LAN-Interface-Issues/td-p/2...

There was supposedly an update for the XB6 that was going to come out yesterday (8-10-17) and it had an issue so it is deplayed until next week according to an Arris engineer. I seriously hope they fix this soon

Authorized Vendor

justinkoehn wrote:

There was supposedly an update for the XB6 that was going to come out yesterday (8-10-17) and it had an issue so it is deplayed until next week according to an Arris engineer. I seriously hope they fix this soon

I monitor the Comcast RDK builds and keep an eye on things like this that come up..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
New Poster

I was having an issue with the orignal Gigabit technicolor modem where service would drop or speeds would drop from 940 Mbps to 1 Mps or lower. They scheduled a tech to come out and replace the modem with an XB6. After that ,same issues as the rest are posting here in the blog. I worked 3 plus hours with a "tech" two days ago when the swapped out the modem. The tech onthe phone with us swore up and down the modem was faulty. They scheduled another tech to come out today between 8-12 . No show. Called support this morning, somehow knowing something like this would occur. The assured me I had an appointment. Now I am on the phone with a Gigabit tier tech and he is telling me there are S/N issues on my line. Hard to beleve given the coax that feeds the modem in my office is a new line, new connectors all the way to the box. What is strange is that in bridge mode and the modem is getting the public address of 67.x.x.x and my router behind it is getting a 24.x.x.x. I would expect to see this in a traditional ISP provided router setup, but not with a bridged modem. It should pass the 67.x.x.x public IP onto the device behind it.  I had them check to see if it was in a "wall garden" state as well, thinking that they just had not taken the old modem off the account. I have the same boot loader file mentioned on down further in the thread. Same hardward rev as well on the XBR. I am an IT consultant and am running a server class PC/System, cabling , Gigabit swtich, enterprise grade router. Moral of the story is these guys try really hard, but the they just cant figure things out. If I could fire them I would . Comcast customer for 20 years. I cant get back all the wasted troubleshooting , bill correcting , broken appointments hours of my life back. Hope that some of this info helps.

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, I too am an IT industry guy working in a home office. Its rough. Running at scale isn't easy either, to be fair to the comcast guys, but I have to agree that I expect better if you are going to charge me a premium for gigabit speed.

If that's going to jack up my price, and you force me to pay a connect fee even though I was already a customer just because I went up to this level of service, you are going to force a tech install - my expectations are going to elevate a little bit.  

I appreciate that Comcast is trying to improve service speeds, I really do.  I want faster.  I like that they took the TG3462 and created a customized version of it they called an "XB6".  I wish they had not hacked it down to a device that is not very capable with a down-sized 2.4GHz radio array, only 2 hardline ethernet ports, and a UI with some obvious defects (allowing multiple entries with same MAC in DHCP reservations, no error checking, and then cant get rid of them - really?).  

Official Employee

echodreamz, I'm seeing a few signal issues coming from your modem. Some of them are upstream ripples which means there might be some leakage at the trunk line outside your home. Please send me a private message with your account info (full name and address) so I can take a closer look 

N3T0, due to Ethernet overhead, actual download speeds are limited to 940 Mbps over a hardwired connection.

WayneAnderson, I'm not seeing the same signal issues on your account. Nor am I seeing anything odd in your area. Private message me so we can look at other options. 

cthos, I'm seeing signal issues and a few t3 timeouts on your modem as well. Send me a private message with your account info for help. 

Regular Visitor

Hi Ken

I'm having similar issues and you seem more knowledgable on this subject than the techs I end up speaking with on the support line.  I just created my forum account so I'm not sure it'll let me send you a PM directly (I assume some sort of new account spam protection) so could you possibly send me a PM and I'll reply back with my info?

Thanks

Sandy

Official Employee

Hi Sandy, 

Since you have created a public post now, you should be able to send us a private message. I'd be more than happy to look into the issues you're having on your end. Please send me a private message verifying the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address or full account number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

Hi Ken!

I am the guinea pig for the local Xfinity shop here in the north metro of Minneapolis (they hadn't done a Gig install yet), and I am experiencing the same issue.  Great connection - great service for 95% of the time, just hiccups here and there that cause my connection to completely drop.

I'm running the XB6 in bridge mode to a Time Capsule that has wifi enabled.  I then have two devices plugged directly into the TC (and another Airport Extreme wired to the upstairs where it extended my TC's network.

It could be related to the box outside perhaps?  (I had a bees nest right near the box that I had to spray - but the tech said today that it shouldn't effect anything by spraying).

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

-Adam

New Poster

I am having the same issues with my connection as well. I just had the xFinity gigabit service installed on 11/1 and have issues with random disconnects everyday (multiple times) since. Sometimes connection comes back on its own, sometimes the gateway requires a restart. I called customer support and they sent a tech out on 11/23. He said it was most likely an issue with the gateway as all signals were fine. The gateway was swapped out for a new one. The same problem still persists. My wife and I both are working from home more and require a reliable connection. Has anyone found any solutions to this issue? I am really starting to regret the decision to switch to Comcast!

New Poster

Hi Official Comcast Employee helping echodreamz,

Technician arrived today to upgrade to gig plan earlier today. Arris TG3482G Hardware Rev 9 Gateway is installed.

All my laptops are recent models with i7/16GB/gigaports and my iphones are 7plus or 8plus.

After switching to new gateway today, we did speedtests using different services and using different server locations. The best speed we got was:

- on wired port of laptop ~500MBPS

- on wifi, we got a range between 160-340 MPBS on laptops and iphones

We did factory reset but still almost same speeds as mentioned above.

Please help to get improve the speeds.

Thanks!

Jaideep