Community Forum

Re: Access denied while trying to reach Costco

Frequent Visitor

It always seems to start with costo.com

But, then other handful of sites are affected.

Macy.com

Then the two below websites says that there are difficulties and will not allow access.

charlesschwab.com

401k.com (fidelity IRA site)...

I have changed wifi router twice.  All the sites work fine for a couple of weeks than get the same issues.

This cannot be due to Costco.com

Gotta be due to Xfinity.

Frequent Visitor

Also,

we get the same results on

android phone

iphone

Apple MacBook

Android tablet

Desktop PC

all give the same results...

Frequent Visitor

I am on the phone with Xfinity.

They asked me directly to the Motorola modem without going through the router.

I had no access problem.... shoot....

Xfinity says, maybe I have an issue with the modem.

Other folks here who have the same problem also using Motorola modem?

Mine is SB6121 model.

UPDATE:

I have now rerouted the line by

Modem --> VoIP Phone --> Router. 

This seems to solve the problem (will have to see how long this lasts).

Before I had

Modem --> Router --> VoIP Phone.

Interaction of the modem to what is connected to the modem seems to be causing some sort of a conflict.  

I will see how long this configuration lasts and update it.

Frequent Visitor

That problem sounds the same!!  However, I have a Xfinity Gateway modem/router (all in one) T616826.  It is connected directly to my computer.  I've tried unplugging restarting etc.  I'm thinking it's time to try a new modem/router.  I'll be contacting Xfinity after Christmas.

Thanks for researching this!!

Frequent Visitor

I wonder if the modem within the combination modem/router is actually from Motorola.

One more fact:

I tried old modem that had a problem again, and it showed no problem....for 1 week...then the same problem.

Steps:

1. Old router has access denied issue

2. Unplugged the old routher and did not use it for a month

3. Plugged it in and it showed no access issues

4. A week later, same problem appeared.

I am beginning to think more and more that the modem is bombing out for some reason.

Maybe it had an auto f/w update about 2-3 months ago?

I will continue to post variations in observations.

Silver Problem Solver

@Onechingu wrote:

I wonder if the modem within the combination modem/router is actually from Motorola.

One more fact:

I tried old modem that had a problem again, and it showed no problem....for 1 week...then the same problem.

Steps:

1. Old router has access denied issue

2. Unplugged the old routher and did not use it for a month

3. Plugged it in and it showed no access issues

4. A week later, same problem appeared.

I am beginning to think more and more that the modem is bombing out for some reason.

Maybe it had an auto f/w update about 2-3 months ago?

I will continue to post variations in observations.

Does this link fail?

https://www.costco.com/

Which browser are you using?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Onechingu wrote:

Mine is SB6121 model.

I don't know if you own this modem or not and how long you've had it, but this modem is an older model - the leased version is already considered EOL (End of Life) by Comcast. Plus, this will support only up to 136 Mbps, so if your plan is faster than that, you might experience unforeseen issues.

You might consider upgrading your modem to a more modern one  - see https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com for details.

Or you can lease a current Comcast gateway. 

If you want to troubleshoot this device further, you can check out this thread:

Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts 

and come back with the necessary information. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

If you're getting a message like:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access {web address} on this server.

it's generated by the system you are trying to reach, not by Comcast. The security systems on the destination servers don't like something about the traffic that's coming from your public Comcast IP. You need help from the admins for the target system. Note that the systems are automated and finding an admin who even knows they exist can be difficult. They often say they are not blocking you when, in fact, they are.

The problematic traffic could be something a user is doing, or the result of some sort of malware. You would need to have the site's admins help you figure out what the problem is. You can look up your public IP at https://www.google.com/search?q=IP.

@Oneching wrote: ... Xfinity ... asked me directly to the Motorola modem without going through the router ..

That changed your public IP. The destination server's security systems allowed the new IP to get through. 

... android phone, iphone, Apple MacBook, Android tablet, Desktop PC all give the same results...

That's because, if they are connected to your home Comcast Internet service, they all have the same public IP, which the destination site is blocking.

... Xfinity says, maybe I have an issue with the modem. ...causing some sort of a conflict.  

Your modem is not the cause of this problem.

... I have now rerouted the line by Modem --> VoIP Phone --> Router. ... This seems to solve the problem  ...

That also changed your public IP. Changing your IP almost always fixes "Access Denied" problems -- temporarily. But if the undeliverable traffic continues to be sent, the new IP will be blocked as well. Typically, such blocks are removed after a few days.

If your router has a feature that allows your to enter a WAN MAC address manually, you can use that to change your public IP:

1. Change the router's WAN MAC address.
  2. Reset or power cycle the modem. When it reboots, it will pick up the new MAC address and pass it to DHCP, which will assign a new public IP address.

Accessing the site using a VPN might work as well.

ETA: When Comcast blocks a site, they block it for ALL Comcast customers, not just a few.

New Poster

I have the Xfinity platform and last week our community had fiber optics installed by Comcast.  We now have fiber based modems/routers and I still get "access denied" trying to reach Costco.

Expert

You're not the OP, your issue might be different.
Try the solutions mentioned above.
As you are not the OP and said person has not replied in almost 60 days, please start a new thread if you encounter any more issues. This one is closed.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!