Community Forum

Re: 33MBPS Speed instead of 150, Low Power in low Frequency channels

Frequent Visitor

Can I also ask for your assistance? I spent a long time on chat with xfinity tech support. The end result was the tech says "our testing reports that your cable modem (customer owned) needs a firmware update to work properly with our network."  (I typically get about 25 Mbps and the max ever is 33 Mbps down when I am on the 150 Mbps plan.)

I explained to the tech that only xfinity can update the firmware in my cable modem, but he refused and directly me to contact the manufacturer (who clearly states that only the MSO--cable operator--can update cable modem firmware on their network. Here's the chat excerpt:

TECH: Thank you for patiently waiting, <customer>. The health check result says that there is a problem on your modem and it needs to update.

CUSTOMER: how does that work?

TECH: Since you are using an owned modem then I highly suggest to have it update to its manufacturer so that your Internet will work fine.

CUSTOMER: I am looking at the manufacturers support website now, and it doesn't show any firmware updates at all.

TECH: But our system detected to have your modem updated.

CUSTOMER: please provide the info of what it says to update. what is it reporting to you

TECH: In order to get the best reliability, value, and the fastest speeds with your Internet service, your cable modem needs to be upgraded to a newer firmware. Please refer you customer to its manufacturer.

CUSTOMER: you are saying that the current firmware is defective in operation on the xfinity network?

CUSTOMER: what version firmware did it report to you?

TECH: We don't have full access to your modem since it is an owned modem but that is what our system detected.

CUSTOMER: So the manufacturer specifically say that YOU send firmware updates, not me or the manufacturer.

TECH: We totally understand your point, <customer>. But we are not the one who will update the firmware of your modem since it is not from Comcast so that Comcast will refer you to have the firmware updated to its manufacturer.

Expert

It is Comcast that updates the firmware through their system.

Start here;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/1253575#M94474

Post the requested info from here;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Related-Posts/m...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@barky81

Thanks for posting to the forums. I'd be happy to help. First, cant you please review the links provided by @EG and we can go from there? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

Review and POST the requested info from the second link.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Include the following information with your post:

• A screenshot of your signal levels: See Below.
  • Post your equipment details. Make and model: Arris SB6190
  • Let us know to what speed tier you subscribe: Blast 150 Mbps
Status

The statuses listed show the connection state of the cable modem. They are used by your service provider to evaluate the operation of the cable modem.

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel   Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK  
Security Enabled BPI+
DOCSIS Network Access Enabled Allowed  

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Corrected Uncorrectables
1 Locked 256QAM 29 639.00 MHz -18.70 dBmV 31.92 dB 3548 10474
2 Locked 256QAM 1 471.00 MHz -13.10 dBmV 37.36 dB 2362 10557
3 Locked 256QAM 2 477.00 MHz -13.30 dBmV 36.39 dB 2253 10379
4 Locked 256QAM 3 483.00 MHz -13.40 dBmV 35.78 dB 2482 10316
5 Locked 256QAM 4 489.00 MHz -14.00 dBmV 35.08 dB 2845 10089
6 Locked 256QAM 5 495.00 MHz -14.30 dBmV 35.60 dB 3327 12567
7 Locked 256QAM 6 501.00 MHz -14.60 dBmV 35.60 dB 3277 10214
8 Locked 256QAM 7 507.00 MHz -15.30 dBmV 34.93 dB 6461 12273
9 Locked 256QAM 8 513.00 MHz -16.90 dBmV 33.06 dB 77110 30167
10 Locked 256QAM 9 519.00 MHz -21.10 dBmV 29.10 dB 67107 14857
11 Not Locked ---- 10 525.00 MHz ---- ---- ---- ----
12 Locked 256QAM 11 531.00 MHz -17.60 dBmV 30.37 dB 1681791 170349
13 Not Locked ---- 12 537.00 MHz ---- ---- ---- ----
14 Locked 256QAM 13 543.00 MHz -16.70 dBmV 29.95 dB 3001667 1253862
15 Locked 256QAM 14 549.00 MHz -16.70 dBmV 32.58 dB 1928183 913883
16 Not Locked ---- 15 555.00 MHz ---- ---- ---- ----
17 Not Locked ---- 16 561.00 MHz ---- ---- ---- ----
18 Not Locked ---- 17 567.00 MHz ---- ---- ---- ----
19 Not Locked ---- 18 573.00 MHz ---- ---- ---- ----
20 Locked 256QAM 19 579.00 MHz -17.70 dBmV 31.34 dB 28498510 1015596
21 Not Locked ---- 20 585.00 MHz ---- ---- ---- ----
22 Not Locked ---- 21 591.00 MHz ---- ---- ---- ----
23 Locked 256QAM 22 597.00 MHz -18.80 dBmV 32.58 dB 3717 17819
24 Locked 256QAM 23 603.00 MHz -18.50 dBmV 32.68 dB 4023 20958
25 Locked 256QAM 24 609.00 MHz -18.50 dBmV 32.70 dB 1167 3638
26 Locked 256QAM 25 615.00 MHz -18.40 dBmV 32.80 dB 490 3909
27 Locked 256QAM 26 621.00 MHz -18.40 dBmV 32.50 dB 1084 3659
28 Locked 256QAM 27 627.00 MHz -19.00 dBmV 31.80 dB 13594 3881
29 Locked 256QAM 28 633.00 MHz -19.00 dBmV 32.30 dB 508 3890
30 Locked 256QAM 30 645.00 MHz -18.80 dBmV 32.40 dB 339 3853
31 Locked 256QAM 31 651.00 MHz -18.90 dBmV 32.40 dB 317 3944
32 Locked 256QAM 32 657.00 MHz -18.70 dBmV 32.50 dB 358 3906

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 1 5120 kSym/s 35.80 MHz 44.75 dBmV

Current System Time: Wed Jul 24 11:37:35 2019

Expert

The downstream power levels and the SNR's are way out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Frequent Visitor

Okay. But...

So you are saying that the Tech's statement that my modem needs a firmware update is incorrect?

It's *just* connection issue? When the installed the service 3 years ago, they determined there was an issue at the Tap (on the pole that serves 4 customers; damaged tip?). I have no way to determine if that was repaired...the installer's solution was a powered booster that is plugged into a wall socket in the house to boost the signal entering...
Expert

@barky81 wrote:
Okay. But...

So you are saying that the Tech's statement that my modem needs a firmware update is incorrect?

No, I'm not. It may need that too but the line / signal issue also needs to be addressed.

It's *just* connection issue? 

Maybe. Maybe not.

the installer's solution was a powered booster that is plugged into a wall socket in the house to boost the signal entering...

Is that amp still present ? The signal strength sure doesn't reflect it. Is it still powered on ? Perhaps it's malfunctioning ?

Frequent Visitor

And how would I know?

Here's a couple of pics...

I seem to have a pretty steady connection with no random reboots...it's been steady at 25 Mbps down/10 Mbps up for weeks (since I started checking) and since my chat with the tech (last couple of days), I'm now getting ~30-32 Mbps with no change in up.

IMG_20190724_144500-x.jpgIMG_20190724_144240-x.jpg

Expert

@barky81 wrote:

And how would I know?

Get a tech out to figure it out. Good luck with it !

Can't see your pics. BTW. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to them here.

Frequent Visitor

In the meantime, I would like to resolve the Xfinity identified issue of updating my modem's firmware.

Can we do that?
Expert

Yeah, the amp is there. Impossible to tell if it is powered on from here, sorry. You are focused on firmware. You are not going to get it if it's not queued on the system. You have an obvious connection quality problem that MUST be addressed. Good luck.

Frequent Visitor

I am focused on 2 issues:

Firmware, because that's what Comcast tech said to address.

And now, connection issues that you are pointing out.

I came here seeking Comcast help dealing with the firmware issue because I see that that happens here.

It'll probably take Comcast days if not longer to investigate the connection.
Expert

Many of their so called "techs" are historically *clueless*, sorry...

Frequent Visitor

Can you assist?
Expert

Have you checked to see if that amp is powered on as stated ? I can't do that from where I'm sitting, sorry.

Or get a tech visit as stated. Good luck with it !

Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

Have you checked to see if that amp is powered on as stated ? I can't do that from where I'm sitting, sorry.

Or get a tech visit as stated. Good luck with it !

Yes the power supply (power inserter) has a green light on it (second photo). There are no "lights" on the amp itself.

My internet seems rock solid (ONLY at ~25-30 Mbps, however). I have no random drops, etc.

Why can't a Comcast employee *here* update my modem firmware while I wait for a tech visit?

I am in Comcast Catch-22 land here. I CALLED and requested assistance with my internet speed. They said it's a FIRMWARE issue (that they refused to address).  They said I had to go to manufacturer. Who says ONLY COMCAST can update firmware.

So I come here to ask for help with the firmware (because I see Comcast Employees here doing that; and you say "get a tech"!?!?!?

Please help me find a Comcast Employee to resolve firmware issue, so I can get a tech visit that doesn't start with "update your firmware" (because that is what happened last time).

Expert

FWIW, firmware is not going to make the signals / line connection quality any better.. That needs to be addressed !!

O/k, I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. I'm not certain that they can do it. YMMV. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

PS: the light on the amp should be on as well. Perhaps it is malfunctioning.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks!

Official Employee

Hi @barky81

Sorry for the experience you're having. I'd be more than happy to help! Can you please send me a private message with your firsts and last name? To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I sent the requested info yesterday.

What's the next step?
Official Employee

Hey @barky81

Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm off on Friday's and Saturday's and am just getting to your message. @EG is correct if there is a firmware update available for your modem, we would first need to address the connection issues before the modem is able to receive the signal to receive the update. I'll help get both of these issues addressed. I will be replying to it shortly. 

Frequent Visitor

I am *hoping* there may be some progress on this today?

Official Employee

Hi @barky81

Thanks for reaching out. I checked the status of the node repairs. I was able to confirm the ETA of repairs will be 07/31/2019 05:00 AM (Pacific). You can monitor the changes here, https://www.xfinity.com/support/status/

Frequent Visitor

That is TERRIBLE (bad word filter in effect)!

I spent the last couple of days waiting for those repairs to happen today (based on your information that they would happen this a.m.) Now you tell me they didn't happen (no explanation), but that they are scheduled for tomorrow.

How will I know whether they happen tomorrow? And if they don't, what is the plan?

The link you included has NO INFORMATION about upcoming repairs? (It shows everything is okay with my connection, which is definitely incorrect!)

Just to recap, my internet is rock solid at roughly 25-30 Mbps even though it should be Blast 150. I am using a SB6190 (about which there appears to be lots of info -- in these forums -- about Comcast issues related to correct provisioning).

A week ago, I contacted tech support who ran diagnostics and said that the only issue was that the modem requires a firmware update to provide the correct speed. (BUT Comcast refuses to update customer owned modems.)

That is when I came here and have spent a week getting nowhere...instead of getting help with the firmware issue, I have been delayed with promises of necessary repairs that MUST be made before ANY effort is made to update the modem.

So it's a "Comcast-22!"

If I sound frustrated, it's because I had to figure this out after more than a year of paying for service that Comcast isn't providing!

Highlighted
Official Employee

I never stated they didn't happen. The repairs are in the process of being completed now, and the ETA is at the time I provided.

Frequent Visitor

"I do see that your local maintenance team is aware and will be making repairs. During these repairs, you may experience an interruption to your service, which is planned to start on 07/30/2019 01:00 AM (Central) and end by 07/30/2019 06:00 AM (Central)."

Your message from 2 days ago said the repairs would be complete by 6 a.m. today. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Frequent Visitor

It's about 5 hours past the ETA you provided for today's repairs; can anyone from Comcast provide an update, please?

Frequent Visitor

Is there ANY update?
Frequent Visitor

I AM BEGGING!

Can a Comcast employee assist or escalate this issue to a level where someone will?
Frequent Visitor

Please, please help!

It's been 9 days so far, and nothing has been done other than string me along.

How can I escalate my issue to someone who will help?

Expert

I'm going to attempt to get @ComcastChe re-involved here (or possibly another corporate employee).

Frequent Visitor

I am currently online with comcastcares (twitter)...<edited>

Expert

Sorry. All I can do is to try to help. I'm not an employee.

Frequent Visitor

Understood.

Official Employee

Hi barky81, 

I apologize. I was out of the office earlier than normal yesterday and was not able to get back to you. I was able to confirm however one of my peers is currently in the process of troubleshooting on your account right now. Since they have begun troubleshooting, I will allow them to continue doing so, so there are not multiple people making changes to the account. They will takeover troubleshooting from here.