Community Forum

Random, intermittent connection drops

Regular Visitor

Random, intermittent connection drops

Hey, everyone,

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer. 

So for the past I think almost 2 months now, our Xfinity internet connection has been spotty.  I've lived on this property since May, and up until I believe mid July, the internet was absolutely perfect.   But now, It'll be fine for random periods of time before it just decides it wants to conk out.  It's particularly frustrating since 95% of my entertainment relies on a stable internet connection (online gaming, streaming video since we don't have cable packages, etc.) and I need to wait 3-10 minutes each time for my Wifi network to get back up and running.

FIrst thing we did was call Comcast, who assured us all signals were fine (at the time we called, at least, fair enough). So I started running down my own list. Replaced the modem.  Issue persisted.  Called out a tech who replaced the coax from the modem to the wall. Issue persisted.  At this point I assumed it was the router, so I bought a whole new mesh network.  Issue persisted.  Comcast sent a lineman down to replace the cable that goes directly from the powerline itself straight down into the "box" that they put the splitters in, it's not even buried and probably like 12 feet long hanging in the air.  The tech assured us that this time, it would fix the issue. It didn't.  

This is when a tech over the phone was able to catch the random surge in upstream bonded channel power before each modem self-reboot.  I learned that when the connection is stable, the power tends to stay in the 31.25dBmv range, but randomly it'll jump up to 50+, usually to 55 or 57, dropping from 3 bonded channels to a single one.  That's usually right before the modem decides to reboot itself.  The tech kept emphasizing "too much noise on the line", but couldn't really tell me why.  It happens randomly throughout the day, but I guess it's safe to say it's heavier in the evening/early morning, but again, I've had it happen at all times of day at this point. 

We've run out of all options at this point.  Here's a comparison of when the connection is fine for a good chunk of a time to a period right before it drops its connection.  Is there anything at this point that I can even do? Some secret I need to tell comcast on the phone so they escalate it instead of just saying it's something on our end?  At this point, all I'm doing is closely watching my modem page and recording any jump in power right before the connection drops.

Anyway, that's my spiel, thank you guys for going through it, and forgive my naivete regarding all of this, I'm brand new to the the more intricate pieces of internet service, so I don't have my event log on hand right this second

Screenshot_20180818-205630.png
Screenshot_20180819-092203.png
Expert

Re: Random, intermittent connection drops

I'm going to try referring your ongoing issue to the resident Experts here who can then escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. You should get a reply here in your topic.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I live in the same house last 4 years and always had Comcast/xfinity, however in last month started to have the same issue like you and facing similar experiences when I call to customer support, so reading your experience and the lack of a real solution, is making me think  save my time and swicht to other supplier. Anyway, hoping you can get solve it soon.

New Poster

I'm having the same issues, internet goes out for a few minutes here and there. Sometimes the modem resets, sometimes it doesn't. Pages stop loading and I get messages to check my network. Have had 3 tech visits from comcast each of them a different tech and each of them did different things, but utimatly said that there was no issue. 

Regular Visitor

Been a few more days. I was lucky enough that the powers that be decided I could have a stable connection for almost a full 24 hours, which hasn't happened in weeks, but of course that quickly ended. My event log keeps mentioning T3 timeouts over and over. Haven't received any communication from Comcast.
Expert

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm also having the same problems from basically the same time frame, should I make my own thread or can I just be added to the list of people who have constant Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response errors and random drops every  15-30 mins?

Expert

Yes. Please make your own new / separate thread for your issue. Thank you.

Regular Visitor

I appreciate you're help.  Strangely enough, the past few days the disconnects have gotten rarer.  (At least, according to my modem uptime each day).  Which is going to be even more difficult to explain when the next tech comes out Smiley Sad.  We haven't done or changed anything in regards to equipment or usage.  The fact that it still goes down tells me the source issue is still present, just lessened, for whatever reason.  It's probably just dumb luck, though, since it still happens at random points, just with longer gaps in between.

New Poster

My internet does exact same thing. Every 30-40 minutes just stops. Wait about 10 minutes and will work. So frustrating can anyone give me suggestions? I’ve called Comcast and tech support which were no help. If this continues I will be switching to a new provider.
New Poster

Same for me, the issue has been steadily getting worse. This is obviously a more wider ranging issue, I've seen posts else where popping up. I'm suspecting throttling is causing hard disconnects for many customers, I'm losing internet and phones several times during the day, sometimes several times an hour for anything from 2 minutes to 10 minutes at a time. Of course, Comcast says everything is fine...it isn't fine.