Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Question about modem upgrade

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Question about modem upgrade

I currently have xFinity Blast internet, and use the provided Arris TG1682G modem.  I have the modem in bridge mode, and use an Apple Time Capsule as my router, and have an Apple Extreme on the other side of the house to extend my wifi.  I have pretty good wifi coverage with this set up, but I'm finding that some heavy bandwidth users, such as my Apple TV, are starting to "sputter".  Recent xFinity speed test results: 90 down/12.84 up.

I need some advice.  I'm thinking of purchasing an Arris SB8200 (DOCIC 3.1), use it as a router, and use my Time Capsule as a wifi extender.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Problem Solver

Re: Question about modem upgrade

The SB8200 is an excellent device, but note that it's a modem only, and does not have a router, nor telephony capabilty if you need it. You'll need your Time Capsule regardless.

As a followup, is your Time Capsule an AC router (the 6th Generation "tower" design) ? Those have pretty powerful antennae, so you may not need the Extreme. Plus, using a wireless extender setup cuts your bandwidth in half, so having a single wireless access point could solve your speed issue. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Regular Visitor

I went to xFinity and got their new DOCIS 3.1 modem. Speed test more then doubked downloads, uploads about the same. I also found a workaround so I can still use my Apple Time Machine for backup. I'm not getting great wifi at the other end of the house, though. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to use the Time Machine to extend coverage. If I can work that out, HOME RUN!
Frequent Visitor

So Dark,

Will my existing wifi router work in tandem with the SB8200?

I currently have;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb8200-587

I am worried if I install the SB8200, I will lose my voice service with Xfinity? Is that true, or is this modem add on just going to speed me way up!?!?

Expert

@aj2451 wrote:

So Dark,

Will my existing wifi router work in tandem with the SB8200?

I currently have;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb8200-587

Are you the original poster ? What router do you have ? Any router should work with the 8200 modem.

I am worried if I install the SB8200, I will lose my voice service with Xfinity? Is that true, or is this modem add on just going to speed me way up!?!?

The 8200 cable modem does not support their phone service.

And it doesn't necessarily automatically "speed you up" unless you subscribe to or you upgrade to a faster speed tier than the one that you are currently subscribed to.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the advice. I am just going with the PODS. I think that will help me from dropping signal occasionally. We just bought a 4500 sq ft home and there is only the one router two rooms over...

Expert

Good luck !

Regular Visitor

I got the new Docis 3.1 modem.from xFinity and really liking it. Had bad coverage on the other side of the house, so I got 3 xFi pods. I get good WiFi coverage all over the house, but I am very disappointed at the speed for devices connected to the pods. VERY slow. I tried moving the pods to different locations, but to little avail.