Community Forum

Question About Hard Wired Connection

Frequent Visitor

Question About Hard Wired Connection

Running Windows 10; modem model is Arris TG1682.
My laptop sits right next to the modem and is hard wired into it. The icon in the lower right corner of the screen shows the wired connection, (computer screen and cable). When I hover over it, it lists two networks, the wired connection and my wireless network. The wired connection is the default Xfinity network, XFSETUP. Can any of the settings be changed on a wired connection? Can it be renamed, for example? Is it secure?

Expert

Re: Question About Hard Wired Connection

It can be renamed. It’s secure, but it uses the default Wi-Fi password printed on the back or the bottom on the gateway. Just log onto http://10.0.0.1

Default Username: admin
Default Password: password
If it is your first time logging into the gateway, you may be forced to change that password.

Ok the left, click Connection > Wi-Fi

Then you can edit each one. You would just have to reconnect any device that was ever connected to your Wi-Fi.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

jweaver, thank you for the reply, but I didn't make myself clear.
My two wifi networks are up and running perfectly.  My question is about the wired connection from my laptop into the router.  It shows as XFSETUP-****.  Is this the way it should be, or can this renamed?  Are there settings on a wired connection that can be customized?

Silver Problem Solver

@Carbo2 wrote:

Running Windows 10; modem model is Arris TG1682.
My laptop sits right next to the modem and is hard wired into it. The icon in the lower right corner of the screen shows the wired connection, (computer screen and cable). When I hover over it, it lists two networks, the wired connection and my wireless network. The wired connection is the default Xfinity network, XFSETUP. Can any of the settings be changed on a wired connection? Can it be renamed, for example? Is it secure?

If you are referring to what I see on my Win10 wired computer, which is the network icon, I renamed mine by changing it with the Win10 network tools, which is where you have to change it.

Google "rename win10 network".

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!