Community Forum

Provisioning a modem

Contributor

Provisioning a modem

What does it mean to provision a modem and how is it done? Motorola SBG 6580.

Expert

Re: Provisioning a modem

Connect it to the coax line and power it up. Let it fully sync up with the system ("Online" light is steadily lit). Connect a computer to it and open up a browser. You *may* see their "Walled Garden" modem self registration page. If so, follow the screen prompts. Have your account number handy.

If not, try calling 1-855-652-3446. That is their device activation line.

If that doesn't work for you you can call 1-800-comcast and tell a rep that you would like to have a new modem provisioned for service. Have the RF / HFC MAC address and the serial number of it handy when you call.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

The modem is connected and working,however the speed is only about 1/2 of what is being sent by them, the tech was here yesterday and connected one of their modems and the speed increased dramatically ,he said it was modem,however it is Comcast approved,will provisioning help the situation?
Expert

In that case you can try this;

Call 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to *roll and re-provision* the modem. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

YMMV. Good luck !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Amazing! I just got off the phone with Comcast and believe it or not what ever she did I am now getting 50 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up, we will see how long this lasts.

Expert

Guess that it was indeed incorrectly provisioned.