Community Forum

Problems with so-called "Gigabit" Internet

Regular Visitor

Problems with so-called "Gigabit" Internet

Just had newly installed Gigabit Internet yesterday. The same day I got the NetGear Cable Modem C7800 just for it since my old one didn't support the docsis 3.1 standard. After it was all freshly installed, I was only getting speeds between the 200s and barely into the 300s on my wifi. Tech said that he had called the issue in to Xfinity and some other techs would be working on the issue on Xfinity's end. He also said that it should take between 1 - 2 hours for the issue to be fixed, but that another tech would come to my house before the end of the day to  double check the line outside my house and confirm I'm getting the speed I should have. Well obviously it's now way past the end of yesterday and today is a brand new day for me to wake up to just to experience the same ole bad speeds and service! Hurray...<Edited> -.- Anyways, now I'm having to wait until tomorrow...the next day until someone even comes out here to check the problem the tech left behind in his rush to get to the next job. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here just a few inches from my C7800 modem and directly connected to it with a Cat6 Ethernet cable while only getting higher speeds between 550 Mbps and barely into the 600 Mbps range. 

I know that wifi speeds are on average signficantly lower than Ethernet speeds on any tier, including Gigabit Internet, but c'mon...barely the 300 Mbps range? I could understand if it was like between 400 Mbps and 500 something Mbps on my wifi connection but that's just simply not the case. And what's even more alarming is the speed I get when I'm even connected just a few inches away directly into the cable mode...550 or 600 Mbps is more of the kind of speed I should be experincing on Wifi shouldn't it?

I would be happy and content if my wifi speed was just around between 400 Mbps and 500 Mbps, especially if my Ethernet speed was to be around the 900 Mbps range. Even if my Ethernet speed was just a 800 Mbps range...I'd be jumping for joy! Am I really asking for too much here?

Expert

Re: Problems with so-called "Gigabit" Internet

Turn off QoS, network security scans, and other bandwidth limiting features on the C7800 and see what you get. 

You can also check Troubleshooting Gigabit internet speeds and Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts for more info. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I've tried to turn off the QoS on the router but I can't find any articles or even a clue online how to do that for this specific model. All the articles I've read are for only older netgear models and mine doesn't have the QoS option like the other router interfaces have. At least not one that I can find any trace of.

Official Employee

Hi, BreedsSide. Welcome to the community. Thank you for using this method to reach out for support, we are glad to have you. It's concerning to hear about your experience with being left without a complete installation and much slower speeds than would be expected while hardwired with a Gigabit level of service. It sounds to me like the technician may have noticed an issue stemming from beyond your premise and had opened a special request to have it looked at/corrected. That is definitely something I can verify. Since we're now beyond your second appointment, how did that visit go? I highly recommend making sure that you've checked the minimum system requirements for Gigabit service. You can find them here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-service. This may also be helpful: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/td-p/3145413. Please let me know how everything went and we can continue from there. Thank you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

It went like <Edited> the last one. I'm now waiting on a third appointment which is another long wait.

<Edited>

Official Employee

BreedsSide, please send me a private message with your name so I can take a look at everything on this end.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi, BreedsSide. I ended up not hearing back from you on this and I have gone ahead and completed the interaction. I would like to provide further support with this for you, so feel free to send me that PM. Thank you.