Community Forum

Problems with MOCA configuration

New Poster

Problems with MOCA configuration

My configuration has an XFinity Modem/Router device (CISCO DPC3941T) configured in the network and I enabled the MOCA Network option within it. For the last few months I have had an ActionTec Network Extender (ECB2500C - Not Bonded) configured in the granny flat on the property and working fine (200ft away and the original line was I believe installed by Comcast before we arrived). I have recently added a second device (ActionTec Network Extender ECB6200 Bonded MOCA 2.0) onto the network in the house and internet access through that has been working fine. I have now found the original device can't get a connection through the COAX (light is no longer lighting up for it). I tried replacing the older ECB2500C with a newer ECB6200 but I still couldn't get that to connect any longer (still no COAX light now) and no internet access. I tried unplugging the newer ActionTec ECB6200 in the house to see if the older ActionTec ECB2500C from the granny flat would show up on the XFinity router/modem MOCA Troubleshooting page, but no luck (I haven't been back to the granny flat yet to recycle the power for that device when the newer is unplugged yet).

It appears to be rather finicky as to when a second device will work, and I haven't been able to work out an order or situation yet that specifically works. I have been trying to get a second one in the house working (of either model), and some times they will, and sometimes not. 

Just in case it affects the picture, due to our location we have a "COMMSCOPE AC Adaptor" (CSAPAE415V500) to boost the signal in the Coax to get anything to work (including the initial XFinity modem/router). This was already here when we arrived so I assume a Comcast component from the previous owners. Could these devices be putting additional load on the network making it tough for a second MOCA network extender to work? Perhaps needing a second COMMSCOPE AC Adaptor? I wouldn't have thought so, but I am a little out of my depth here.

Ultimately I expect to need 3 MOCA network extenders on the network to best provide support, so I would really like to work out what else is needed to have this work.

Any suggestions on what to try?

If this isn't an expected configuration for XFinity with MoCA, is there something you can point me to that indicates what is?

Thanks all

Expert

Re: Problems with MOCA configuration

Are all splitters, if any, MoCA compliant? Is the amplifier MoCA compliant?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I am checking with the manufacturer of the amplifier, so hopefully I would have an answer in the next day or so. The only splitter visible inside the buildings is between the Modem/Router device and the network, so everything was going through that when it was working in the other location, and currently to the new location. If there are other splitters they are in the walls or under the house and were cabled by I believe Comcast before we moved in. I will take a look at all that tomorrow in the light to see what I can see.

This was a self install on my part, so is this something that a Comcast technician would be able to help with if they were to come on site do you think?

Also, I know the MoCA POE filter isn't currently installed, could that also affect this?

Thanks

New Poster

I only found two splitters in the configuration, but also found a second Commscope component. Commscope are painful getting any information out of regarding these components and how well (or if) they should work with MoCA, and I am still waiting for a straight answer.

I removed one splitter from my network and replaced the other with a MoCA splitter and still found the configuration was only supporting a single MoCA/ActionTec network extender. This was all using the built in MoCA capability in the XFinity/Cisco Modem/Router combo. I finally turned the Cisco MoCA support off and placed an ActionTec component coming from the modem back into the Coax network and all seems to be working fine now for the two remote ActionTec Network extenders and network connectivity. Seems like the Cisco router support may not be that great for more than a single device, or over a certain distance (the second location has over 200ft of cable from the modem/router).  For what it's worth, the Commscope components seem to be working ok in this configuration as well. I am dissapointed with the XFinity/Cisco Modem/Router though.

Expert

I have a similar version to yours except mine is from a different manufacturer and is MoCA compliant with a POE filter built in but I still have one anyhow. It is possible you might need the POE to help it work better.

I would suggest upgrading the gateway to an XB6, but they have MoCA issues as well.

All a tech would most likely do is check the cables and splitters going to both the gateway and the MoCA devices and probably not be able to help much.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!