Community Forum

Primary DNS server question. HELP !!

Bronze Problem Solver

Primary DNS server question. HELP !!

My wifes computer has developed a problem and it is intermitten. Her laptop Acer running Vista somtimes when you try to go to any website it shows it cant connect just like the internet connection has failed but it has not. When i run a dianostic on the connection here is what i get. Cannot communicate with primary DNS server. (2601:4:19c0:25:22aa:4bff:fe65:cc8e) I need to get this fixed to have some piece here, yesterday i bought a new router the EA4500 linksys and this is when the problem started but all other computers and devices are working perfect just her computer has this issue. I have power cycled redid the connection even reset the router and started over same thing any ideas ?? Thanks Jim

Problem Solver

Re: Primary DNS server question. HELP !!

What does the status page of your router show for DNS servers?

For IPv4 they should be

For IPv6 they should be

2001:558:feed::1

2001:558:feed::2

Bronze Problem Solver

V4 is 

DNS1:

Silver Problem Solver

Is the address in the error message the same as the router's LAN IPv6 address?

Unless you really need IPv6, I would turn it off on the router for now.

Bronze Problem Solver

Thanks for all the input but I have decided to just do a wipe out and fresh install of windows and start over. This computer is from 2008 so a fresh install may help with this and other issues this laptop has. I have other computers i can use. Wish me luck !!! 

Frequent Visitor

I would advise setting the DNS settings directly on the comptuer, instead of letting the router act as a DNS proxy. Make sure to set them for both IPv4 and IPv6. I would not disable IPv6, as it does not seem to be the issue here.

Silver Problem Solver

virtuallynathan wrote:

I would not disable IPv6, as it does not seem to be the issue here.

The primary DNS is an IPv6 address. That's what made me think it's the issue.