Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Power Levels too low?

Frequent Visitor

Power Levels too low?

Hi I think my internet connection power levels are bad. I have ping spikes every now and then when I'm gaming. Can anybody guide me on what to do?

Comcast.png
Expert

Re: Power Levels too low?

Hi @NoMeTsChris,

You're correct, your downstream levels are to low. Typically the reason for this is that there are too many splits in the signal before the modem. Try eliminating any unneeded splitters or if it's possible, try your modem on another outlet. There are other issues that may cause your downstream levels to go bad, you might need a tech to figure it out. 

See the troubleshooting guide.

"Keepin' it clean since '09" --I am not a Comcast employee.
Frequent Visitor

The technician used one 2 way splitter inside the house. it was reading -10dbm when it was installed which I told him it seemed really weak but he said it would be fine. he said the mainline was reading around -5dbm. and after the splitter it was gonna be ok. he guaranteed me that the signal would be fine. is -5dbm from the mainline too low? seems like the temperature is changing the signal levels too as its getting hotter now.

Expert

Yeah, you should be seeing positive values where the line enters your house. If you have -5 dBmV at the side of the house you'll lose 3.5dB from a 2-way splitter and then a little more loss from the coax. So a -10 dBmV at your modem would be about what you would see. You'll probably need a tech to get this resolved. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09" --I am not a Comcast employee.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Nerdbug. Really appreciate the help! 

Official Employee

Hi NoMeTsChris, 

I can help get a tech out for you. Can you please verify your first and last name, full street address, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me.

Frequent Visitor

PM Sent

Frequent Visitor

Can anybody help me? ComcastChe hasnt replied to my initial message.

Official Employee

Hi NoMeTsChris, 

Sorry for my delayed reply. I've been out of the office sick. I just picked up your private message and will be replying shortly. 

Frequent Visitor

Hope you are feeling better and I will be waiting for you message.

Official Employee

Yes, I feel 100% better. Thanks. I've just replied. letting you know what I would recommend for the issues I see on your account. Let me know how you would like to proceed.