Community Forum

Port Forwarding no longer available on TG1682G modem. xfi not meeting requirements.

New Poster

Port Forwarding no longer available on TG1682G modem. xfi not meeting requirements.

How can I get back the ability to manage port forwading directly on my modem.  It was just taken away and now says to go to xfi.  I need to disable and enable by port on the fly.   The xfi app or webpage does not have the enable/disable feature the modem admin page has.  In order to disable a port it seems I have to completely delete it and recreate it to enable.  Far to clumbsy a process.  Also I do not like that my open ports, passkeys, etc are being exposed outside of my network using xFi.  

Expert

Re: Port Forwarding no longer available on TG1682G modem. xfi not meeting requirements.

Not certain if this will work but try hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. You will lose any customized settings. And don't use the Xfi app or the online method anymore or it will disable the gateway UI functions again.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Port Forwarding no longer available on TG1682G modem. xfi not meeting requirements.

@wmstram wrote:

Also I do not like that my open ports, passkeys, etc are being exposed outside of my network using xFi.  

That comes with using the leased Comcast gateway - you gain the ability to manage your LAN outside your home, even though it's technically still within Comcast. 

Like you, I'm not a big fan of remote management, so if you don't want this, you'll have to purchase your own equipment. You'll also avoid the monthly lease charge.

See: 

Approved Xfinity Modems and Gateways 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

You could try using a utility called "Upnp Wizard." It's a simple tool that leverages your routers upnp functionality to punch holes in your firewall. Unfortunately it doesn't work with all routers firmware and it wouldn't surprise me if anything supplied by comcast was included in that group.

Expert

Using UPnP has security risks..

Frequent Visitor

And it's also enabled by default on his router, most likely
Expert

It never a good idea to "punch holes into a firewall"...

Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

It never a good idea to "punch holes into a firewall"...

punching holes in your firewall is an apt description of what port forwarding is, and it is certainly a good idea if you have specific services that need to be accessed from a public network. If you are saying that port forwarding is a feature most average users will never have a reason to play with, that is true (and the reason that is true is because of upnp)

Expert

That's not what I'm saying at all. The general usage of a UPnP feature is a potential attack vector.

New Poster

Thanks.  I think it's time to go the BYOM route.

Expert

There ya' go. You'll get features and granularity that you just won't get with ISP supplied crippled devices !

Silver Problem Solver

@EG wrote:
There ya' go. You'll get features and granularity that you just won't get with ISP supplied crippled devices !

The Netgear CM1150V seems to be a possibility to replace my Arris XB6.  But I really haven't had any issues with the Arris.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

The Netgear CM1150V seems to be a possibility to replace my Arris XB6.  But I really haven't had any issues with the Arris.

Yes if you don't want to use a combo gateway device and have their phone service.

And I wasn't talking about "issues". I'm talking about gateway devices having a lack of very useful features that are typically found in retail routers.