Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Poor upload speeds

Regular Visitor

Poor upload speeds

I consistently have upload speeds at about 2mbps when I should be receiving 10mbs. I've had about 5 techs come out over the course of the last few months but when they arrive the xfinity speedtest acts as if everything is normal.
If I use anything else to show my upload speeds it'll tell a different story but they only go by the xfinity speedtest.

First I swapped my personal modem/router for the xfinity one just to ensure it's not my equipment, and then I hooked the modem directly to the cable coming from the pole and it shows the same 2mbps upload speed. The problem that I keep coming across is Comcast won't do anything unless the issue is showing on their speedtest.

Is there anything i can do for them to look at their lines or node for my area?

I've attached my modem information and a speedtest with my PC's time/date

modemstats.PNGcomcast 2up.PNG

Expert

Re: Poor upload speeds

The signals stats are o/k. Which speed tier are you subscribed to ? Would you know if they ever tried re-provisioning the modem ?

Regular Visitor

It's the performance with blast which means I should be getting 75/10. They've provisioned the modem a couple of times already.

Expert

There are three additional signal stats that can cause problems which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem. Good luck !

Regular Visitor

I'm still having the same issue months later. It's been consistently horrendous ever since the first time I posted. Tonight again I am experiencing my upload speed drop to 0.5mbps when it should be 10.0. Download seems to be fine though at times I can notice it stutter. A family member lives 2 streets down and his upload speeds also fluctuate when I ran speedtests over there.

Every time I call Xfinity they can't offer any level of support and have zero idea about Upstream Receive Power Level, Upstream SNR, or ICFR. It's rather frustrating to deal with such issues and receive zero help on the matter from the company you pay your bill to.

Here are my most recent modem stats. Can any person from Comcast help assist this issue?

Capture.PNG
Expert

Every time I call Xfinity they can't offer any level of support and have zero idea about Upstream Receive Power Level, Upstream SNR, or ICFR. 

Hi @davidw_

Sorry that your previous interactions on the forum have been unhelpful.  Even if you were able to obtain that info, it's not particularly useful to you. Smiley Sad

So let's get this resolved for you.

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Regular Visitor

thanks nerdburg

Expert

@The_Janitor wrote:

Even if you were able to obtain that info, it's not particularly useful to you. 

That's your opinion. It does indeed serve a purpose here pal....

Official Employee

Hi davidw_. I can assist in further troubleshooting your internet upload speed issues. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can access your equipment.