Community Forum

Poor Speed Performance

New Poster

Poor Speed Performance

I recently had a service visit to address poor connection and performance issues. The tech replaced the outdoor connectors all the way out to the source and this helped quite a bit. He also recommended I replace the indoor portion of the line at my own cost to complete the job. This would lead me to believe my internal cable and connection is to blame for any additional issues. I have however determined that my download speed is running about 20 Mbs unless I connect through my work VPN and then my speed increases 900% give or take. This indicates there is absolutely no problem with my internal cable and connectors but that Xfinity is severely throttling my connection. Response?

NoVPNspeed.JPGVPNspeed.JPG

Expert

Re: Poor Speed Performance

That doesn't make sense. Even if you connect through your work VPN your data will still be going through your Comcast modem down through your LAN. 

Start with this thread:  Xfinity Internet Connection Troubleshooting Tips 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I'm sorry that that doesn't make sense to you.
Try reading up:

https://broadbandnow.com/guides/am-i-being-throttled

"The only reliable method of checking whether your connection is being throttled is through a Virtual Private Network, also known as a VPN."

Troubleshooting connection speed is futile when the slowdown come directly from you ISP which in this case it does.

S

Expert

@BartmanS wrote:

I'm sorry that that doesn't make sense to you.
Try reading up:

https://broadbandnow.com/guides/am-i-being-throttled

"The only reliable method of checking whether your connection is being throttled is through a Virtual Private Network, also known as a VPN."

Troubleshooting connection speed is futile when the slowdown come directly from you ISP which in this case it does.

S

Comcast doesn't throttle speeds. Try reading up on that link I gave you. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

My evidence suggests otherwise. Perhaps it's not throttling but packet analysis which they are not able to do when a VPN connection is used. I'm not trying to be confrontational I was looking for information or a solution. I guess I will just continue to use a VPN connection all the time.

Silver Problem Solver

@BartmanS wrote:

My evidence suggests otherwise. Perhaps it's not throttling but packet analysis which they are not able to do when a VPN connection is used. I'm not trying to be confrontational I was looking for information or a solution. I guess I will just continue to use a VPN connection all the time.

Is it possible the VPN is causing it?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@BartmanS wrote:

Perhaps it's not throttling but packet analysis which they are not able to do when a VPN connection is used. 

FWIW, they have always stated that they don't perform D.P.I. (Deep Packet Inspection) on their network.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:
Is it possible the VPN is causing it?

FWIW, the added TCP overhead of a VPN connnection will theoretically slow down the connection, not speed it up as is the OP's case.

Official Employee

Hi @BartmanS

Sorry for the experience you're having. No, we don't throttle speeds. I'd be more than happy to see if I'm able to help isolate the cause of your speed problems. In order to assist you, please send me a private message verifying your first and last name, as well as the name of the account holder if it's different than yours.  

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@BartmanS

I haven't received a response from you and am hoping your issues have since been resolved. If you are still having speed issues, please follow the steps above to send me a private message. If you start having a different issue, please create a new thread so we can start a new help ticket.This thread will now be closed. Take care. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.