Community Forum

Phone Jack connect to modem with only coaxial cable input?

New Poster

Phone Jack connect to modem with only coaxial cable input?

My house has a phone jack what connected to a router for Century Link service.  I switched to Xfinity, and they supplied a Technicolor tc8305c modem that only has a coaxial input.   Do I need to rewire the house, get an alternate modem, or is there a cord that converts a phone jack line to coaxial?

Expert

Re: Phone Jack connect to modem with only coaxial cable input?

DSL uses phone line, a cable modem uses coaxial cable. Typically you should have a two way splitter off of your main cable line; one port should feed your modem, the other port should feed everything else. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Regular Contributor

Comcast can send a tech out to "back feed" the exisiting phone jacks to work with the output of the modem. It's not free, but it would allow for the use of wall jacks like you had with Century Link.  Using a set of cordless phones might be a better alternative.  The main base would be plugged into the modem and the rest of the recivers would be fed wirelessly. 

I DO work for Comcast. Do I know everything? NO. Do I help thousands of customers every year? YES I do.
New Poster

Thanks.   So I take one of the coaxial outputs.....which formerly went via coaxial cable to a TV....to connect to the modem?

Expert

PhoneJack wrote:

Thanks.   So I take one of the coaxial outputs.....which formerly went via coaxial cable to a TV....to connect to the modem?

Yes.

modem1.JPG

modem2.JPG

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.