Community Forum

Personal Modem(s) Won't Work

New Poster

Personal Modem(s) Won't Work

I've ran out of ideas / options with getting a non Comcast issued modem to work at my house. I really don't want to switch to another provider but I may not have a choice.

I'll condense this as much as possible...

- Bought a Netgear CM1000 and opted for the self -install with Comcast. After not being able to get my modem to connect I had to get a tech to visit the house. He came to the conclusion that it was a faulty modem and told me to exchange it for a new one so I did.

- I try to install my second CM1000 and again it won't connect. I have a second tech come visit the house and he ran a new line to the house. Unfortunately I was not there and he told my girlfriend that this will fix the issue. It doesn't. I exchange the modem again at BestBuy and buy an Arris as well. Neither one will connect.

- I have a third tech come visit and he brings a supervisor with him. They opt to run new wires inside my house and guess what... my modems won't connect. They tell me I have to stick with a Comcast modem since it connects right away.

This is not acceptable. Comcast has been sued before because of shady customer service like this and it really makes me question what they are doing here. I've used personal modems before with no trouble and have multiple friends using the same Netgear modem.

Any ideas here?

Contributor

Re: Personal Modem(s) Won't Work

You have to be sure you are installing and comparing the same type modems, the CM1000 is docsis 3.1 and you don't specify the models for the others. I had a similar problem with an MB8600 that supposedly failed and it took Comcast nearly 7 months to figure out what had failed in their local plant. I went through multiple MB8600's and two CM1000's and they were still sure all those were bad.  My old docsis 3.0 modem still worked.   Log into your modem and post the status and log information. 

Expert

Since you've already had several tech visits I'm going to escalate this to the Comcast Support Team. Hang tight, you'll get an official response soon. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello, bhayes423. Welcome to the Xfinity Forums!

I'm glad you reached out to us for support with this. We absolutely want you to be able to use your own equipment if you prefer so I'd like to take a closer look and see if we can get this working for you. Please send me a private message with your first and last name so I can assist. 

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!