Community Forum

Packet loss, terrible latency ONLY within a certain time window. Usually between 1am and 4am EST

Frequent Visitor

Packet loss, terrible latency ONLY within a certain time window. Usually between 1am and 4am EST

This is getting a little goofy, only started roughly 2 months ago, every single night I try and play a game between the wee hours of the morning, it's just insane latency spikes between 100-4000ms many times getting disconnected as well, back to back. My router is  Arris SBG7400AC2 and I have had no issues whatsoever until this happened.

Below is the packet loss and latency

https://imgur.com/a/rfrHzzQ

https://imgur.com/a/5pQMmVa

This is how every site I try and ping looks like, I've restarted the router (does nothing), nothing on my end is eating up any amount of bandwidth from what I can see.

Edit: I've used both wired and wired, 2.4 / 5, same results.

Expert

Re: Packet loss, terrible latency ONLY within a certain time window. Usually between 1am and 4am EST

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the SBG7400AC2 with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Packet loss, terrible latency ONLY within a certain time window. Usually between 1am and 4am EST

Wired and wireless, yes. I'm mostly wired but I did try wireless.
Expert

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Expert

O/k the downstream power is on the weak side. There are some uncorrectable errors. And the upstream power is too high. and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Frequent Visitor

What would cause my connection to be insanely good during 9/10 of the day, and only terrible within a very specific frame of time?

Expert

Taking care of that connection quality problem might be your answer. It might be over the edge at those particular times. You may just need more wiggle room as I stated... Have you tried doing any of the tips yet ?

Frequent Visitor

No, I've yet to do any of those steps, but it just started again, a little earlier than I anticipated. Last time there was any activity int he lines it was when Comcast sent someone out to install it, and just started a couple of months ago so I'm guessing a tech would be more suited to come check it out, last thing I want to do is give someone the freedom to blame me for any wiring issues, though.

Expert

Post back with how things turn out. Good luck !

Official Employee

Hi @Sub2

If you haven't already, I'd be happy to help get a tech visit scheduled for further investigation at the premise to see if we can isolate a cause for your issues. Can you please verify your first and last name in a private message? If you are not the account holder, please include their first and last name as it appears on the monthly statement, and the phone number associated with the account as well. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.