Community Forum

Packet loss affecting everyone in the area

Frequent Visitor

Packet loss affecting everyone in the area

I have noticed intermittent packet loss since mid Dec. of 2018, I opened several tickets and the onsite techs were able to identify the issue stemming from the telephone poles where the Comcast lines run (After testing all the wiring several times and using 3 different modems, and a brand new drop from the telephone pole to the grey box at the back of the house). The ticket was called and in opened in Jan of 2019 by the onsite techs to the Maintenance team and since then nothing has been done. When another tech arrives, he identifies the problem, calls it in to the maintenance team, and they tell him they can't open another ticket because one is currently already opened for my account. It is now mid April of 2019 and the same issue is still present (30-40% packet loss, sometimes more). The last tech informed me this issue would have been resolved if the Corporate office got involved, is there any to get my ticket escalated to the Corporate office? I have also been told by the techs that there is nothing else I can do but wait until the issue has been resolved.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Packet loss affecting everyone in the area

All videos and streams non stop buffering today because of the insane ammount of packet loss, ongoing for close to 6 months now, when is the Maintenance team going to fix this issue?
Frequent Visitor

7:15AM EST 4/19/19:

35% PACKET LOSS

All Videos and Streams are unable to play

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=121
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=121
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=121
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=121
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=121
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=121
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=121
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=121
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=121
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=121
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=121
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=121

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 38, Received = 24, Lost = 14 (36% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 17ms

Attached the modem logs, an entire page of erros dating 4/19/19:

Modem Log.JPG

Partial Service Defined:

A modem is in a partial service mode of operation any time it is operating with a subset of the channels in the Receive Channel Set (RCS) and/or Transmit Channel Set (TCS) because a channel has become unusable, either due to an inability to acquire a channel or because communication on a channel was lost during normal operation.

A typical bonded upstream service group will have up to four channels, that when aggregated together are capable of transmitting over 100 Mbps at 64-QAM modulation in a 6.4 MHz bandwidth.  If only one upstream channel is out of service in the “partial service” scenario, it is possible that the end-user will not notice any impact to performance.  A three channel DOCSIS 3.0 modem would still be capable of over 80 Mbps.  Therefore, in a DOCSIS 3.0 network, partial service is:

• Hard to detect after registration
  • Most current test instruments will not identify it
  • A throughput test may not identify it on a loaded plant

Currently paying $85+ a month for a defective service that Comcast is aware of and refusing to fix. What do I have to do to get the attention of the CORPORATE OFFICE who can escalate this issue to be resolved immediately, issue has been ongoing for close to 6 months now. Why is Comcast refusing to fix the issue thats clearly on their end?

Frequent Visitor

More errors, more buffering, more packet loss:

1.JPG2.JPG

Why isn't this thread being responded to by a Comcast employee/forum moderator?

Official Employee

Hi, JCastro1987. Thank you for posting. I am sorry to hear that you've continued to experience connectivity issues with your internet for quite a long duration. I'm here to help. Due to everything you mentioned above, I'd like to review your account on this end to check the maintenance request that had been opened and also take a look at previous technician notes in order to determine how I can help you going forward. Please send me a PM with your name and we can continue from there. I look forward to hearing from you, thank you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

REQUESTING HFC MAINTENANCE TICKET ESCALATION BY CORPORATE OFFICE

Update:

Another technician scheduled to my location, 6th tech since Jan 2019, requested a supervisor to arrive with the tech...tech arrived by himself...with no supervisor. Tech had called in another senior tech for this job and again identified the issue coming from the telephone pole/Comcast lines. Another maintenance ticket was open on Thursday and again I am in the same spot as before, sitting and waiting for maintenance to come out and fix the issue. 

Performance over the weekend:

Atrocious and unusable all day Saturday and Sunday, I called 1800 Comcast and requested a refund for the day as this case is an ongoing issue. Ofcourse Comcast does not care about auto crediting me for an issue that lies on their end, I have to call 1800 Comcast once a month to request a credit for half the month of service. Every time I call I have to explain the entire situation and literally fight for my money/refund. To anyone who are not aware, this issue has been ongoing for 6 months and the original maintenance ticket was open in January 2019.  While receiving the credit from the billing dept, I asked them what is the status on the maintenance ticket, they replied it is still on assigning engineer. Clearly zero urgency or care shown from Comcast on this service impacting issue for a customer who has been with Comcast for 10 years...

Modem logs just for the last 2 days:

1.JPG
2.JPG
Frequent Visitor

Update 2:

The maintenance ticket was completed and the issues still persist, now I am stuck on 35MB download speed 100% of the time after the maintenance ticket was completed, alongside the same prior issues still occurring every day and night.  I informed the Forum Comcast Employees and was told they sent a message to the local tech mgmt team regarding the issue, I was advised to wait again for an update to see what they have to say. It is now day 3 after waiting again and still have not received an update. I messaged the Forum Comcast Employees and have not received a  response. I honestly can't believe a Fortune 500 company can not solve this problem. If I was responsible for an ongoing issue impacting the clients service for over 6 months at my job - I would be instantly fired. As a precaution, I have reset the modem to factory defaults & cleared the logs twice and tested with my old modem (Arris SurfBoard), same errors and same issues.  Below are the snippets,log, and pings to the local Comcast gateway:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Frequent Visitor

All day, non stop bufferring of videos and streams, to the point where I can't finish streaming one episode of a TV show...
Frequent Visitor

Maintenance has opened an investigation after completing their 2ND maintenance ticket and not solving the issue again!

Another day of non stop buffering and packet loss, unable to watch anything:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
Frequent Visitor

After a third completed Maintenance ticket and a full week of outages from Monday - Friday starting at 8AM (5/20 - 5/24) the issues are still there! I sent a message to the supervisor and last escalation tech who were last here but have yet to here a response. The Maintenance team needs to stop attempting to patch what's clearly broken and REPLACE IT, even if that means several new LINES or a new NODE. Below are snippets taken tonight around 8:15PM EST :

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
Official Employee

Oh gosh, those speeds are no good. I apologize for this experience. This is something I do see our teams are currently working on and have an estimated repair time of around 1:30 am tomorrow morning the 25th. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Non stop issues again tonight Saturday started at around 8PM EST, modem has lost connection and rebooted 7 times since, an entire page of errors in the modem logs just for today after I cleared the modem log earlier in the afternoon. I have been checking the Xfinity Account app since 8:30PM EST for an outage report and there has yet to be one. Below are the snippets I took 5 minutes ago alongside the ping test to the local Comcast gateway. In June, it will be 7 months of nonstop, every day service impacting Internet since Dec. of 2018, truly a joke:

1.JPG2.JPG4.JPG

Frequent Visitor

Using my cell phone Internet as my Comcast connection is unstable and constantly disconnecting, more of the same issues again this morning, refer to the snippets below and the Motorola documentation:

*NOTE THE MILLIONS OF UNCORRECTED AND CORRECTED PACKETS*

Frequent Visitor

After the Maintenance team spent 2 weeks monitoring and repairing all the different issues in the neighborhood area and node, the connection has become stable. Monitoring it for a week with 0 errors or packet loss, will monitor for an additional week and will update with the reults. Below are the snippets for the last week:

1.JPG
2.JPG
Frequent Visitor

Everything has been working well and stable for over 2 weeks, attached is my log and connection information, I believe the issue has been resolved:

1.JPG
2.JPG
Admin1

JCastro1987 -- Thank you for letting us know that everything seems to be resolved. Please do let us know though if this issue returns and we'll get you taken care of.