Community Forum

Packet loss; Do I have a signal issue?

Frequent Visitor

Packet loss; Do I have a signal issue?

I have been having packet loss on and off for the last couple of weeks.  Two techs have been out and have not seen an issue or think they have fixed the issue I am using a Netgear CM1000 modem and a Netgear AC1900 router. There is only one splitter for a TV. Swapping it out did not help. Here are my signal levels and modem logs:

:signals411.png

modem error logs.png

And here is a pingplotter graph of the last 24 hours: 

pingplotter chart comcast 411.png

Is there anything here that stands out in the modem logs or signals that might help Comcast troubleshoot the issue? 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Packet loss; Do I have a signal issue?

The upstream power is too high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to get the techs back out there until it is fixed properly.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks I have been suspecting I have an upstream power issue. This is the splitter I am using, is it a good one? comcast splitter.jpg

Here are my upstream levels when it was really bad yesterday: comcast4102.png

I have another technician scheduled for later today. Hopefully they pick up on the issue.  

Expert

FYI: They owe you a $20 credit for every tech visit after the first for the same problem.You can also get a credit for your service from the time you first reported the issue until it is resolved.

PS The splitter is a good one. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Diamond Problem Solver

@kalhelwani wrote:

This is the splitter I am using, is it a good one? .  

Yes but it may be malfunctioning, or there just may be too many splits / hidden splitter(s) behind a wall somewhere. Post back with how things turn out.

Frequent Visitor

The tech that came out today said he saw some errors on the line at the tap and apparently it was affecting other apartment buildings around here as well.  He said he will put a ticket in to line maintenence and that they would get back to me.  It appears that the issue is outside of my unit, hopefully they will get on top of the issue soon.  Upstream power levels are back up to 59. 

Expert

@kalhelwani wrote:

The tech that came out today said he saw some errors on the line at the tap and apparently it was affecting other apartment buildings around here as well.  He said he will put a ticket in to line maintenence and that they would get back to me.  It appears that the issue is outside of my unit, hopefully they will get on top of the issue soon.  Upstream power levels are back up to 59. 

That sounds about right. It would be incredible if two techs previous techs missed something as simple as a splitter. When the repairs get done, let us know and we'll ask an employee to help get you the credits applied to your account. 

Frequent Visitor

Is there a way to check if a Line maintenance ticket was put in? I tried calling in to see if anything was scheduled and there was nothing they could help me with. Packet loss is already terrible for today. 

Expert

@kalhelwani

I've asked an employee to check on that for you. They can also follow through with you to make sure your issue is repaired. You can expect a reply in this post.

Official Employee

kalhelwani, let's make sure a line tech is coming out there soon. Please send me a private message with your full name, address and phone number for help. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

It looks like the issue has been resolved. Thank you to everyone that has responded so far it has helped a lot getting this fixed. Comcast Line techs found and replaced a bad cable a couple of blocks away and ever since then the connection has been rock solid. I even got credit on my bill for the multiple tech visits.  Here are my new signal levels, how are they looking?comcastfixed.jpg