Community Forum

Packet Loss and Latency issues

Regular Visitor

Packet Loss and Latency issues

I have been dealing with packet loss and latency issues. My normal latency for games is 35ms. It is currently at 65ms+. The plus is there because the in game latency is averages them and drops out huge changes.  Loading screens have me at 65ms to 500ms. I have ran smokeping on my connection yesterday from 4 external servers with 20 packets every 5 minutes. The results averaged s between 5 and 10 percent packet loss. Spiking during what I think is peak hours.  With the max being like 50% packet loss. Did a test from several devices both WiFi and Wired. The results were the same. My xbox lists me at 65ms and 8% packet loss. My roommates DirectTV Box won't play anything that is not recorded because it says the Internet is bad.

I live right next to the school I do IT work for. They were massaging me about Internet issues on Friday and it was a teacher work day. When they have issues I have issues. 

Router/Modem = SBG7580-AC

C:\>ping -t google.com
Pinging google.com [172.217.8.110] with 32 bytes of data:
Ping statistics for 172.217.8.110:
    Packets: Sent = 54, Received = 50, Lost = 4 (7% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 16ms

Smoke Ping2.pngSmoke Ping.pngModemPower levels.JPG

Reset this Yesterday.

modemlog.JPG

Expert

Re: Packet Loss and Latency issues

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

@EG wrote:

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

Hey EG,

I have posted them on photobucket.

http://s169.photobucket.com/user/A236jose2/library/Comcast

Contributor

Wow, your upstream power levels are horrid, that is most likely your problem as the downstream ones look within spec, actually near perfect. Something must be going on in your area.
Expert

@Hexalt

The upstream power is fine and in spec;

Downstream Power Levels: -8dBmV to  +10dBmV

Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR):  >35dB 

Upstream Power Level:  +25dBmV to +54dBmV

Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (uSNR): >31dB  

Upstream Receive Power: -2dBmV to +2dBmV

but the error log entries indicate that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) / return path somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to poll the CMTS to see whether or not everything is in the green zone, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and also see a history plot for the modem. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

@EG

Have they looked at it? I'm still having issues.
Expert

I couldn't know as I'm not an employee, sorry. The only thing that I can do is to re-escalate this topic