Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Packet Loss/Internet Dropping/Lag Spikes for months..

Frequent Visitor

Packet Loss/Internet Dropping/Lag Spikes for months..

Hi just looking for maybe some insight or help, I moved to the house I'm in in november, I noticed flyers they were installing fiber in the neighborhood and didn't really think anything of it. Was only using modem/router combo from comcast from the previous house(that worked fine for 3 years). After about 2 weeks in my new house(in November) started having packet loss/lag/disconnect issues. I replaced the comcast modem/router once, then got my own router/modem still the same issue. Was told by one of the 5 techs that came out that it was the fiber construction causing the issues and in 2 weeks they'd be done and should be good from there.. it actually took 3 weeks but it did go away(mid February at this point). Up until 2 weeks ago anyways, now its happening again. It was happening only in the evenings on weekdays(7-9 PM ish) but now it's back to it's all day schedule, with extra drops on the weekends. I'm not terribly tech saavy, the phone support said to get another comcast modem because the techs would have an easier time working with it, which I did. I even upgraded my package to no avail, previous techs have replaced cabling inside and outside. I'm not sure what to do and starting to think slow but consistent DSL would be a better option then drops all the time cable. Any help is appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Packet Loss/Internet Dropping/Lag Spikes for months..

Also the problem occurs on both hardwired and wireless devices simultaneously.

Cable Expert

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

At the moment it's an xfinity modem/router combo(I don't see a brand on it?) and a tp link ac 1750 router. The problem was present when we were only using an xfinity modem/router. The modem is in bridge mode so I'm not able to access it. I tried to get the stats via live chat but they'd only say "Danielle, after I ran the system check, I am see that Your signal levels are RED, meaning that the connection from the server to the modem is not stable and may one of the reason interrupting the service." and "I apologize for that however our technician can only determine for the stats." is there another way to get them? Thanks.

Highlighted
Cable Expert

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

I've had the same issues, and there seems to be no fix in sight. I believe there might have been a few other similar posts.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Packet-Loss-and-poor-routes-for-the-past-month/td-p/...

Frequent Visitor

Yes I've seen some of the other posts, even one from someone who also had the problem start in November.. an answer to this would be good, a solution even better.

Official Employee

Hello saturnine6 and NaaGdl, I can assist you with making sure your connection is stable with little to no packet loss as possible. Please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me" and we can get started. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Check incoming UDP traffic. You might find some IP flooding you with small packets.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation