Community Forum

PC won't connect to WiFi

New Poster

PC won't connect to WiFi

Hello, 

I've recently switched ISP from Frontier to Xfinity.  After a technician came and set up the wiring and also set up the modem/router, he also set up my network.  While he was there, I was able to easily connect trhee devices to the wifi (two phones and a Ring doorbell).  After the technician left, I continued going around the house connecting all of the other devices, Xbox, PS4, wife's laptop, AC thermastat.  Not all of these devices are used at the same time. at the most 2-3. 

Finally, later on in the night I sat down to use my PC and connect it to the wifi.  Unfortunately my PC will not connect to the wifi when starting it up.  At first it will have the '!' mark over the wifi status, then after a few minutes it will say connected but there still won't be any internet service.  I've tried various YouTube and forums fix from renewing my IP, forgetting the network, and such.  Even more strangely one will work one time, I'd restart the PC, issue comes up again and then I'd have to try an completely new way only to connect to the wifi.

Right now I am able to connect the PC directly to the router with an ethernet cable.  I've contacted the manufacturer of the PC and they told me the wifi card may have gone bad and have sent me a replacement.  But I don't think this is the issue as I can still use my PC's wifi with a hot spot just fine. 

::EDIT:: The Gateway that I have is model TG1682G from ARRIS. Firmware TG1682_3.2p5s1_prodsey

New Poster

Re: PC won't connect to WiFi

Did you ever find out how to solve for this? I just moved into a new home and switched to comcast. I have the same issue you do. My PC can connect to other networks just fine. Likewise, my other devices besides my PC can connect to the internet and function normally. It’s specifically my PC that doesn’t play well with this specific connection. Really odd and frustrating.
Official Employee

Hello Metadad and Chad3008. We appreciate you visiting and posting on the Xfinity Forums. I can assist with troubleshooting your in home WiFi connectivity issues. Have you tried to go into your devices WiFi settings and choose the "forget network" option, then go back into WiFi settings, and join the network again by entering your WiFi key, and the retest? If you have not attempted this, please try and let me know the result. 

I am happy to help in any way that I can. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

The symptoms are consistent with windows/windows-firewall blocking the network and indicating with "!" -  because windows sees the network as insecure/public instead of home/private.        To mitigate via control-panel/network:  forget/delete the home network entirely, and then re-learn/reconnect.   Windows will ask you whether it is a public wifi or a home/office wifi.     Do not take the default/public - click to Indicate it is home/office .      Then the block/exclamation-point should disappear when you use that wifi.    Best wishes!