Community Forum

Outage/Modem SSID/Modem drop

New Poster

Outage/Modem SSID/Modem drop

Had a neighborhood outage yesterday from 2PM - 8PM. 

Contacted Customer Service notified me of that. Once 8PM came i tried to restart my modem, multiple ways. Unplugged, moved to new coax hook up, hard wire reset button in the back.

Noticed that my SSID name came up as the name that is on the Modem itself but not my actual SSID I made years ago. According to the Xfinity app my internet was up and running but my modem wasnt.

I contacted customer service this morning and as they always say reset, up and running, you know the drill. Once it was "running" again my modem keeps disconnecting and loosing the signal, but to two or three times the modem would drop.

Im at a lost for words, im thinking the outage might have fried my modem? I am just going to go to the store and get a new one replaced?

Any suggestions as to why my SSID is lost and its named as the one on my modem box.......this is frustrating. 

Expert

Re: Outage/Modem SSID/Modem drop

That's what happens when a gateway device is reset back to factory defaults. The SSID and the WiFi password revert back to being the ones that are written on the label.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

but when i contacted customer service they said the password for my credentials worked, i even tried putting the admin password from the box on there.

So to me it sounds like my modem it done for....

unless you have another idea. 

Expert

See if any of the info here helps you to change them back to what they were or to whatever you like;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

ok so i see what you sent me, but i still dont understand. 

WHen the outage happened my modem went back to its Domain Name thats on the box.

how am i able to change my xfinity WIFI/Password? I logged on and it still has my original SSID i created and password. 

So i still feel like this isnt helping. Do i need an ethernet cable to change it? Since i use it for Wifi and not direct connection?

Why did my modem go back to its original name?

Official Employee

Hello, Jhaus45. Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums. I apologize to hear of the issues you are having with the modem resetting itself during the service interruption. This certainly is a mystery. If you would like to look into the modem I certainly can. Feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello, Jhaus45. I have not heard back from you and hope that the issue has been sorted out. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.