Community Forum

Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

Contributor

Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

So I kept seeing commercial by Comcast stating the new XB6 gateway is available Nationwide. I can't get gig service yet in my area but I like to have the equipment that is latest tech for upgrades.
I then saw, after ordering the xb6, an article online by Comcast that the xb6 works for any internet service 300Mbps or higher. Is that right? Because I have Blast Plus which gives me 200Mbps only. I thought the XB6 would work with all their internet speed tiers and I was most interested in the wifi range/speed increases and IoT capability over my current Arris TG1682 gateway.
I am finding conflicting info the further I research the XB6 and the info is from Comcast.
Whenever gig service becines available I am getting it and wanted to have my equipment ready for it. Plus, the 1682G is almost maxed out in terms of wifi connected devices when company is over with X1 service and all electronics on wifi.
So what's the deal with the XB6. Can I use it on BLAST Plus speed tier or no for now waiting on gig to arrive?
Thanks all. Merry Xmas ☃
Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?


Neverendingmods wrote:
So I kept seeing commercial by Comcast stating the new XB6 gateway is available Nationwide. I can't get gig service yet in my area but I like to have the equipment that is latest tech for upgrades.
I then saw, after ordering the xb6, an article online by Comcast that the xb6 works for any internet service 300Mbps or higher. Is that right? Because I have Blast Plus which gives me 200Mbps only. I thought the XB6 would work with all their internet speed tiers and I was most interested in the wifi range/speed increases and IoT capability over my current Arris TG1682 gateway.
I am finding conflicting info the further I research the XB6 and the info is from Comcast.
Whenever gig service becines available I am getting it and wanted to have my equipment ready for it. Plus, the 1682G is almost maxed out in terms of wifi connected devices when company is over with X1 service and all electronics on wifi.
So what's the deal with the XB6. Can I use it on BLAST Plus speed tier or no for now waiting on gig to arrive?
Thanks all. Merry Xmas ☃

This says it is 1gig:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Wireless-Gateway-Device-Feature-Comparison/m-p/29925...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?


Neverendingmods wrote:

So what's the deal with the XB6. Can I use it on BLAST Plus speed tier or no for now waiting on gig to arrive?

To my knowledge, they will only rent you an XB6 if and when you are actually subscribed to their gigabit speedtier,



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

I think they are making it available for everyone now.  I am also on Blast and managed to get one shipped.  A very helpful associate at the store took care of the order and said the XB6 gateway works great!



 

Expert

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?


apw1028 wrote:

I think they are making it available for everyone now.  I am also on Blast and managed to get one shipped.  A very helpful associate at the store took care of the order and said the XB6 gateway works great! 


Thanks for that info !



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?


apw1028 wrote:

I think they are making it available for everyone now.  I am also on Blast and managed to get one shipped.  A very helpful associate at the store took care of the order and said the XB6 gateway works great!



 


I was told by phone that I had to go to my nearest Xfiinity Store and ask them if they have the XB6.  Sure wish I could get Comcast to ship one so I don't have to go to the store.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

Chat was able to verify that the local store had some in stock, and made a note on my account.  Planning to stop by after work and see if I can get the XB6 as instructed.  I have the 300 plan and want to upgrade to the gig, but want to make sure I have the new equipment before I upgrade my monthly bill.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

Not sure if there are any other XB6 models than the Arris TG3482G available yet. One possible drawback to that device is it only has two ethernet ports. You would either need to get a switch, or bridge it and use a seperate router for more ethernet ports if required.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

Well, just for information for anyone looking to upgrade to gig internet and get an XB6 modem, apparently chat can't check the inventory of the XB6 modems specifically for your local store.  It only tells them that a modem (not the model) is in stock.  It could be the XB3 they see...

 

Anyway, after I left the store when inquiring about the XB6 and gigabit internet speeds I got an order confirmation for gigabit internet, a price increase, and double charged for a modem... and i didn't even get the XB6 because they didn't have it.  I also didn't agree to anything being changed on my account and it was.  Customer service couldn't cancel the order because the local store attached it to my 4K box that chat took care of ordering earlier today.  So, apparently now I need to wait and then they will back date it.

 

Anyway, what a mess this has turned out to be.  I now pay for gigabit internet with an XB3 modem that doesnt support it.  I guess on the bright side after a month and a half of trying I finally got a 4K v4 DVR box coming...

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?


Ghost_Evo wrote:

Well, just for information for anyone looking to upgrade to gig internet and get an XB6 modem, apparently chat can't check the inventory of the XB6 modems specifically for your local store.  It only tells them that a modem (not the model) is in stock.  It could be the XB3 they see...

 

Anyway, after I left the store when inquiring about the XB6 and gigabit internet speeds I got an order confirmation for gigabit internet, a price increase, and double charged for a modem... and i didn't even get the XB6 because they didn't have it.  I also didn't agree to anything being changed on my account and it was.  Customer service couldn't cancel the order because the local store attached it to my 4K box that chat took care of ordering earlier today.  So, apparently now I need to wait and then they will back date it.

 

Anyway, what a mess this has turned out to be.  I now pay for gigabit internet with an XB3 modem that doesnt support it.  I guess on the bright side after a month and a half of trying I finally got a 4K v4 DVR box coming...


I'm going to replace my XB3 with the XB6 BEFORE upgrading to gigabit.  I've learned to do things a step at a time sometimes<g>.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee
Contributor

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

Well first Comcast mailed me the wrong Gateway I had to take it back. They sent me the same exact RS tg1682 that I already had.
After dealing with life eye drops multiple times a day I physically went down to the Comcast store and picked up a new Gateway and they gave me the new xb6 Gateway.
It works perfectly using the blast plus Internet service. No more Wi-Fi drops and my internet speed stays exactly the same.
I was also having TV pixelation so I had a service tech come out to my house to check the outside lines. That guy was a real piece of work he talked extremely extremely loud the entire time swore up and down that there was nothing wrong but yet after he came I have no more problems with my TV pixelation. But I was still having life eye drops so I knew at that point there was definitely my Gateway. So I went down to the store and ask just for a replacement Gateway I did not request the xb6 they just gave it to me.
And by the way my other post regarding the xb6 was a completely different topic that had nothing to do with the question I asked when I started this current thread so I don't know what the moderator is talking about. I always try after I get a resolution whether I figure it out myself or not I will always try and repost so others don't have the same questions or problems that I do.
Expert

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

The moderation thing wasn't directed at you, it's just a placeholder for a post that was removed. 

 

FWIW I'm testing an XB6 right now and I'm pretty happy with it. I think it's the best gateway that Comcast has ever had. 


I am not an employee.
Contributor

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

No worries.

I logged into 10.0.0.1 and model I have is the CGM and NOT the Arris gateway fwiw. It's working great. Funny thing I noticed so far regarding different settings is it gives me more detailed info in XFi app. Also, in the 10.0.0.1 login page it shows 2.4ghz wifi with (auto channel selection recommended) where before it didn't. Also, under 5ghz wifi it now gives 20/40/80/160 bandwidth) as an option whereas before max bandwidth was 20/40/80.
I thought the XFi app said it would transfer all my settings to new gateway but the 2.4ghz band was set to auto channel selection instead of my fixed, less congested channel I chose. Otherwise, everything was a simple changeover by XFi app on it's own without me having to do anything except reassign 10.0.0.1 a new password so no one can log into my admin page.
Now, I just need to figure out how to find backup battery type I need for this gateway as I have phone service triple play.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

Don't know if this applies to the XB6:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/getting-a-new-battery

"Existing Xfinity Voice Customers:

If you already have Xfinity Voice service and would like to order a battery, please call us at 1-888-972-1261. The battery will be shipped to your home within seven to 10 business days. Please note a $5.95 shipping fee will apply."

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?


@Neverendingmods wrote:

Now, I just need to figure out how to find backup battery type I need for this gateway as I have phone service triple play.

You would be better off putting it on a UPS !



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?


@RobertWy wrote:

Don't know if this applies to the XB6:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/getting-a-new-battery

"Existing Xfinity Voice Customers:

If you already have Xfinity Voice service and would like to order a battery, please call us at 1-888-972-1261. The battery will be shipped to your home within seven to 10 business days. Please note a $5.95 shipping fee will apply."


When I had the XB6-A, I was quoted $35 for a battery. Then it was cancelled after I placed my order, because I supposedly neeeded a professional install and they needed my authorization for a $70 fee.

 

That's right. A professional install. For an external battery.

 

Needless to say, the XB6-A went on a $30 APC UPS unit right afterwards (which was a better choice since it protected the entire gateway and not just the voice part) and not much later got replaced in favor of a SB8200/TM722G combo.

 


The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

My XB6-T by Technicolor is working very well. Speeds are stable both Ethernet and both wifi channels. The wifi coverage is slightly better than my older Arris 1682G I had had for almost 3 years before the wifi started dropping constantly. I thought it was a problem with my TV, others said it was related to my phone's Google Cast but was the gateway. Now proven by no drops of just wifi.
Let's hope the Technicolor XB6 I have with the different processor stays working well. I like the simple setup, multi admin access(XFi or 10.0.0.1) and it's small footprint. Though it does run hit and put out quite a bit of heat. You definitely want this XB6 out in open unobstructed with plenty of space around it to be able to breathe, so to say.
Those APS UPS external battery devices I looked at online, the smaller ones for just the gateway use, have pretty bad reviews as they burn up internally....the newer models that cost like $50 or less. I'm not paying $85+ on a battery that lasts 2-3 years at best. I'll just forego the external battery at this point. My internal batteries I purchased supposedly new online for my 1682G gateway would only last like 16 months max and cost me around $15 give or take each time.
Contributor

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

One thing I don't like about the Technicolor XB6-T is the amount of heat coming out of the back of this thing. Crazy amount of heat. They should have added an internal fan. I can't see this lasting long running so hot!
Expert

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?


@Neverendingmods wrote:
One thing I don't like about the Technicolor XB6-T is the amount of heat coming out of the back of this thing. Crazy amount of heat. They should have added an internal fan. I can't see this lasting long running so hot!

Agreed! I notice mine is running pretty hot too. Not crazy hot, but hot enough that a fan wouldn't be a bad idea. 


I am not an employee.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

Just an FYI - My Arris XB6 does not put out hardly any heat from the vent holes in the rear.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

Which brand XB6 do you have, Arris or Technicolor? My XB6-T generates quite a bit of heat up at the very top of backside. Depending on how many devices I have active at once determines just how much heat comes out. And I mean like 1 Ethernet active and both wifi channels active with around 6-8 devices on wifi(both bands total).
I always have and will keep my gateways up on my dresser with nothing near it in a 5" radius closest to my PC in computer room. Plenty of air gets to the unit all the way around it.
I suspect the smaller, tighter packaging of all the internal electronics in the XB6's housing, compared to the larger housings of say the TG1682 gateway, just can't dissipate heat well. The latter gateway had vent holes all over it's much bigger sides and likely distributed heat so it wasn't obvious over a much larger surface area on both sides. Not just a 4" area on just the back plate on the XB6.
Like I said, I'll see how well it holds up. I am not having any of the problems with this Technicolor XB6 that those early users of the Arris XB6 were/are having.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?


@Neverendingmods wrote:
Which brand XB6 do you have, Arris or Technicolor? My XB6-T generates quite a bit of heat up at the very top of backside. Depending on how many devices I have active at once determines just how much heat comes out. And I mean like 1 Ethernet active and both wifi channels active with around 6-8 devices on wifi(both bands total).
I always have and will keep my gateways up on my dresser with nothing near it in a 5" radius closest to my PC in computer room. Plenty of air gets to the unit all the way around it.
I suspect the smaller, tighter packaging of all the internal electronics in the XB6's housing, compared to the larger housings of say the TG1682 gateway, just can't dissipate heat well. The latter gateway had vent holes all over it's much bigger sides and likely distributed heat so it wasn't obvious over a much larger surface area on both sides. Not just a 4" area on just the back plate on the XB6.
Like I said, I'll see how well it holds up. I am not having any of the problems with this Technicolor XB6 that those early users of the Arris XB6 were/are having.

Arris XB6 here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

Is it really loud?

Expert

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

Mine was a bit warm to the touch but was silent as a mouse at all times while I had it. Then I got rid of it because MoCA dont work right on the XB6-T


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?


@and_youf wrote:

Is it really loud?


My Arris XB6 is silent.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Ordered XB6 gateway. Mistake if not gig speed?

Dead thread from last year now being closed.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!