Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Orbi and Home Security?

Regular Visitor

Orbi and Home Security?

I had internet, tv, and home security installed yesterday. The router is not strong enough for my home. Most of the bedrooms have weak connections. I was considering buying an Orbi, but I was wondering how that would affect the home security system. From a brief search on here it seems that I would need to have a tech come out with a special netgear router for the system. Is that correct? If so any ideas if any costs will be entailed with this visit/device?

I'm also debating on whether to keep the xb3 because we also own a surfboard SB6141. Would I lose anything worthwhile by switching to having the SB6141 and an Orbi vs setting the xb3 in bridge mode with an orbi as the router?

The XB3 has already had to be reset twice today and the tech suport says that they have to send a tech out to troubleshoot it. So, I'm concerned that it will be a pia in the future. 

Our current internet speed is 150 Mbps and we have a lot of devices (I heard the orbi does well with handling many devices).

Thanks 

Expert

Re: Orbi and Home Security?

wrote:

I had internet, tv, and home security installed yesterday. The router is not strong enough for my home. Most of the bedrooms have weak connections. I was considering buying an Orbi, but I was wondering how that would affect the home security system. From a brief search on here it seems that I would need to have a tech come out with a special netgear router for the system. Is that correct? If so any ideas if any costs will be entailed with this visit/device?

I'm also debating on whether to keep the xb3 because we also own a surfboard SB6141. Would I lose anything worthwhile by switching to having the SB6141 and an Orbi vs setting the xb3 in bridge mode with an orbi as the router?

The XB3 has already had to be reset twice today and the tech suport says that they have to send a tech out to troubleshoot it. So, I'm concerned that it will be a pia in the future. 

Our current internet speed is 150 Mbps and we have a lot of devices (I heard the orbi does well with handling many devices).

Thanks 

I have three Orbi's that replaced my XB3 wifi because it did not work well.

Expert

FWIW, if you also have and use their phone service then you can't use the 6141.

Expert

wrote:

Thanks 

BTW, I did not replace my XB3; it supports my Comcast phone service and my Xfinity Home Security service.  That way, I only have two boxes in the room where I have my network equipment.  Replacing the XB3 with a modem, voice eMTA, and XHome sidecar would take up more space than I wanted to give up.

Frequent Visitor

you could disable the wireless on the comcast router and plug in the Orbi in Access Point mode (its under advanced settings) to extend your WiFi